[Sprites ~ WIP] Alternative Strife Guy - Update

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
lukas

[Sprites ~ WIP] Alternative Strife Guy - Update

Post by lukas »

Those of you who have played Strife might have noticed that the player sprite looks nothing like the actual main character from the cutscenes.
Here is my new version which looks more like the guy in the cutscenes (only the front walking frames are done).
The Real Final version (unless more problems pop up ;)) of walking frames!
StrifeGuyWalking.PNG
StrifeGuyWalking.PNG (37.65 KiB) Viewed 2792 times
StrifeGuyWalking.gif
StrifeGuyWalking.gif (8.15 KiB) Viewed 2792 times
What I have in mind is to make several versions of it - one for holding each weapon and 1 with no weapons. But let's see if I can finish this version first - then I'll think about the rest ;)

I've also been thinking of doing sprites for these 3 Strife monsters that only appear in cutscenes, but never ingame:
Spoiler:
I have actually been thinking about making a sort of Strife Restoration Project (nice name, eh? ;)) where I would add things that (I think) were supposed to be in final version of Strife but were cut out - like change player sprite to look like cutscene guy, add these new cutscene monsters, give every unique NPC his own sprites, add female rebels/acolytes (but not peasants cause they would get turned into acolytes or killed by the order), and also put to use some unused (but IMO very good) voice files from voices.wad.

And also maybe some other changes to make Strife better...

Edit - Updated first post with new sprite version.

Edit - Just to let you know that after I finish this, I will make reskins of Strife's weapons to make them have blue gloves.

Edit - Updated first post with final version of walking frames.

Edit - Updated with real final version ;)
Last edited by lukas on Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:45 am, edited 4 times in total.
Enjay

Re: [Sprites ~ WIP] Alternative Strife Guy

Post by Enjay »

The Strifeguy looks cool, and definitely takes his appearance from the custscenes. However, I wonder if his cape waves from side to side a little bit much?

Frame 3 seems to have the cape across to the side a bit too much and it (the cape) could do with being shaded a bit darker in that frame too IMO.
lukas

Post by lukas »

Yes you're right. I'll make a few fixes and post new version later.
lukas

Re: [Sprites ~ WIP] Alternative Strife Guy - Update

Post by lukas »

This any better?
Attachments
StrifeGuyWalking.PNG
StrifeGuyWalking.PNG (3.32 KiB) Viewed 3093 times
Zero X. Diamond

Post by Zero X. Diamond »

The front of his shirt looks weird as he moves--it seems to jump around his physique. His hair also seems to lack any kind of texture and his arms seem to be kind of pillow shaded. Apart from that and the cape thing (which may have just been resolved as I attempted to post this), it looks pretty cool.
lukas

Post by lukas »

Thanks for commenting - I'll fix arms and armor, but what do you mean about hair having no texture :?
lukas

Post by lukas »

Take a look at the arms on this sprite - any better?
Attachments
PLAYA1b.PNG
PLAYA1b.PNG (1.56 KiB) Viewed 3079 times
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

lukas wrote:This any better?
Yeah, a bit better.

I think that it stll maybe sways a bit much but I'm less bothered by it now. I did, however, notice that his chest moves a bit strangely too. [edit] as Zero X. Diamond just pointed out. [/edit]
JoeyTD
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by JoeyTD »

Lukas you keep on working on teh main Stife guy, i'll work on some of the monters (just two of them).

Edit: pro spriting tip of the day is make the head move with the body.
lukas

Post by lukas »

JoeyTD wrote:Lukas you keep on working on teh main Stife guy, i'll work on some of the monters (just two of them).
Sure :) I appreciate you wanting to help. Thanks.
JoeyTD wrote:Edit: pro spriting tip of the day is make the head move with the body.
:lol:
TheMistress

Post by TheMistress »

Enjay wrote:
lukas wrote:This any better?
Yeah, a bit better.

I think that it stll maybe sways a bit much but I'm less bothered by it now. I did, however, notice that his chest moves a bit strangely too. [edit] as Zero X. Diamond just pointed out. [/edit]
Dont you think his head should move along? i mean seriously his body and legs are moving but the upper body doesnt even move
Nash

Post by Nash »

Now that it is enlarged and animated, serious flaws are starting to reveal themselves:

1) The cape appears to flicker on each side due to the extreme movement. Make it a little more subtle. See how the Hexen Cleric's cape animates.

2) Add more natural movement. Right now it looks like a set of pixels simply put together and shifted around. Some movement on the head and body would do wonders.

3) The arm that's holding the gun needs to be properly animated instead of simply shifting the same pixels around.

I'd start by onion-skinning the original Strife guy under your sprite sheet to interactively compare the two animations.
printz

Post by printz »

lukas wrote:add female rebels/acolytes
The females were sent underground.
Shadelight

Post by Shadelight »

printz wrote:
lukas wrote:add female rebels/acolytes
The females were sent underground.
But it'd still be neat to see female variants and female peasants too.
ETTiNGRiNDER

Post by ETTiNGRiNDER »

Head and shoulders are too static... one of the tricky things about animation is that the whole body should move when doing anything. You can probably copy-paste the new face over the top of the old head, just making sure to replicate the head position of the original sprites, but you'll have to redo the shoulder edit for every frame. I thought the walking movement seemed weird too, but I doublechecked and that is how the original sprite's legs move, so maybe it's the shoulder thing being enough to throw it off, I don't know. Cape still strobes a little bit too much, too, I think.

Return to “Resources”