Replace Big [DOOM] Font with Big [QUAKE] Font in ZDoom

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

I want someone to do it, that has experience with that font stuff and I don't want to waste time on trying to learn how to do something like this while I could map :(
Nash

Post by Nash »

Tormentor667 wrote:needs more minions
;p
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Nash wrote:
Tormentor667 wrote:needs more minions
;p
I prefer to call them menials!
Siggi
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Siggi »

Code: Select all

minion
noun
(disapproving or humorous) an unimportant person in an organization who has to obey orders; a servant:
While I was waiting to see him, a minion brought me some tea. * Whenever the director needed more information, his minions were sent scurrying in all directions to obtain it.

Code: Select all

menial
adjective, noun 
    adjective (usually disapproving) (of work) not skilled or important, and often boring or badly paid:
menial jobs / work * menial tasks like cleaning the floor
    noun (old-fashioned) a person with a menial job.
Something tells me that isn't going to work in your favour :wink:
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Tormentor667 wrote:I prefer to call them menials!
Well, I was going to do it, but if you're going to be rude... ;)

Awww sod it, I hate to see a grown man beg. :P

Right, I've taken your glyphs and made up a font set that I think covers everything in the dbigfont set. I warn you now - it's not perfect. As someone once pointed out, I'm a biology teacher, not an art teacher. So, some of the letters that did not exist in your glyph capture, but which are needed for the dbigfont were done by me and, as a result, could look a lot better.

Also, even the small letters from your source image are quite big compared to the Doom letters, so I went with the smaller size for all letters. Unfortunately that means the very characteristic quake "Q" doesn't look as good as perhaps it could.

I decided to stick with large numbers because they looked a bit crap when I reduced them to the smaller size. I think the large numbers beside the smaller letters look OK in game.

Anyway, it's a starting point. If anyone with actual pixel-pushing talent feels like taking over and prettifying it a bit, please be my guest.

I did the letters using the grey source you posted as that seemed most likely to look good when using colour translations, but you could easily "brown" them if you want.

Just so you know, (if you didn't already) the dbigfont is not used for all big font messages in game - any level using the original grphic level name lumps and the intermission kill/item/secret tallies do not use it for example.

Anyway, hopefully I got it right. It seemed to work when I used it in a test.

In the zip, I've included the source PCX image, a compiled lump (rename to dbigfont.lmp to replace the Zdoom one) and the script and batch to compile the lump.

Oh, and for the record, I hate fiddling around with character set images. Tedious and annoying. Just so you know. ;)

[edit]file removed - see post below[/edit]
Last edited by Enjay on Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Siggi
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Siggi »

Or maybe it will...
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I know my place. :)

OK, I noticed 2 letters out of alignment with the others, so this is an update to fix that.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Yeah, thx alot Enjay, you are tha man :) The font works perfekt and I am absolutely pleased with how it turned out :) And I wouldn't have been able to do this on my own, that's for sure. Thx alot!
...this is how it looks ingame ;)
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Enjay wrote:Well, I was going to do it, but if you're going to be rude... ;)
Oh and by the way: Don't worry, I was just kidding with this ;) The meaning of "menial" was intended ;)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

No problem, I knew you were kidding. The font looks like it turned out better than I originally thought it did. Glad you can use it.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

I just tested the font with Project Slipgate and I have to say that it looks much better with that WAD than the regular Doom font which seems out of place.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Graf Zahl wrote:I just tested the font with Project Slipgate and I have to say that it looks much better with that WAD than the regular Doom font which seems out of place.
Yeah, that's so true! Enjay, I think you should upload that later on to the /idgames archive or at least to your own homepage because I think others also might find this useful.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Fair enoughski. I've given it a permanent home (well, as permanent as that crappy Lycos/Tripod hosting gets) on my misc stuff page.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/enjay001/

It's just over half way down the page.

Return to “Editing (Archive)”