Door Swing Problem.

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
Caleb26

Door Swing Problem.

Post by Caleb26 »

OK.
I want to make a single swinging door like in Duke3d/Blood and SW. It was simple in build3d but it's more complicated in DoomBuilder. I've managed to do Single swinging door without a problem(Solid wall) but I want a door to open in the outside area (different sector heights) - swinging door made of a sector not a solid wall. I can see that it uses "Normal " texture as the main door texture not "upper" or "lower". It works but it always prints something like this "wrong mirror polyobj number 16 for polyobj 1". How the hell do I change it?
SyntherAugustus

Re: Door Swing Problem.

Post by SyntherAugustus »

If you want a Build style swinging door (where it's in fully 3d rather than locked to the ceiling), you might want to look into this.
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=35260
Caleb26

Post by Caleb26 »

Sadly it uses a switch I want a player to open it manually.
SyntherAugustus

Post by SyntherAugustus »

Then have a linedef "switch" in front of the door to trigger the script as if you were operating the door. The switch was only used in the tutorial for convenience. (One in front of the closed state and one where the open state would be). You can't have a polyobject with floors and ceilings otherwise, which is why I made the above prototype. You can only use the mid textures, which only works for a door that goes inward into a building, unless you know the player won't be seeing the top of the door.
Last edited by SyntherAugustus on Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
GooberMan

Post by GooberMan »

I have (mostly completely) 3D swinging doors all over the shop in Prime Directive, using the 3D floor/polyobject combo trick I employed to make a moving 3D platform.

The only thing you need to be aware of is that SetLineSpecial doesn't play completely nice with polyobjects - poly lines don't seem to cache their values, so if you set a new special on a polyobject line the polyobject will try to use those values whenever it moves (such as with mirrored objects etc). The workaround is to give it a script to execute. One day, I'll get around to lodging a bug about that, there's a few things in ZDoom that cache special values and a few things that don't.

EDIT: Just a quick note about blackfish's suggestion there with fake lines on either side of the door - it doesn't work well for stacked 3D doors.
cocka

Post by cocka »

Hi!

I created a swinging door for you, here it is:
swingingdoor.wad
(63.68 KiB) Downloaded 173 times
(Doom in UDMF)
X-DOOM

Post by X-DOOM »

GooberMan wrote:I have (mostly completely) 3D swinging doors all over the shop in Prime Directive, using the 3D floor/polyobject combo trick I employed to make a moving 3D platform.

The only thing you need to be aware of is that SetLineSpecial doesn't play completely nice with polyobjects - poly lines don't seem to cache their values, so if you set a new special on a polyobject line the polyobject will try to use those values whenever it moves (such as with mirrored objects etc). The workaround is to give it a script to execute. One day, I'll get around to lodging a bug about that, there's a few things in ZDoom that cache special values and a few things that don't.

EDIT: Just a quick note about blackfish's suggestion there with fake lines on either side of the door - it doesn't work well for stacked 3D doors.
I liked how you made flordmo2.wad, but everytime i try to open it with doombuiler, it crash. I seem unable to see how you made this.
cocka

Post by cocka »

but everytime i try to open it with doombuiler
It's doom in udmf. Do you use Doombuilder 2?
X-DOOM

Post by X-DOOM »

Yes i do use doom builder 2. This must be that i tried to open it in doom 2 (hexen format).

Return to “Editing (Archive)”