[tool] TEXTURES Creator 1.4

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
MaxED

[tool] TEXTURES Creator 1.4

Post by MaxED »

tex_creator.jpg
TEXTURES Creator is a small tool, which can generate TEXTURES file from given folder.

Features:
- supports same image types as ZDoom (.jpg, .jpeg, .png, .dds, .pcx, .tga, .gif).
- ability to auto-scale textures (usefull when you have thousands of hires textures).
- ability to set sprites Offset (when Texture type is set to "Sprite").
- can work from command line (see "Help" tab for avaliable command-line parameters).
- fast processing speed (takes less than a second to process 2000 images).

Usage:
1. Set Working folder to your project folder.
2. Choose a subdirectory with textures you want to process using Patches folder dropdown.
3. Set additional options as necessary.
4. Click Create TEXTURES button.

New in version 1.4:
Added "Scale by factor" scaling mode.
"Scale by size" scaling mode will now save scale as a float when necessary.
Default patch scales are no longer saved to the output file.
Project folder path or output file name with spaces were not parsed propery from config file.

New in version 1.3:
Scale was formatted incorrectly when operating system's decimal delimiter was not dot.

New in version 1.2:
The logic of "Don't add image if it's size..." checkbox was inverted.
Renamed "Working folder" to "Project folder", because it makes more sence.
If processed texture's size is smaller than expected, a warning message is added to Output tab.
Added "Usage" section to Help tab.

New in version 1.1:
Added ability to set sprites Offset (when Texture type is set to "Sprite").
.jpeg images are now processed.
"Output file" control now lets you choose existing TEXTURES file if there are any in Project directory.
"Patches folder" dropdown now updates when Project directory path is changed directly (by typing path in the text box).
Removed "Auto" Texture type, because it was pretty useless (Doom Builder 2 expects to find Sprite patch(es) in "Patches" directory, not "Sprites" directory).
Added -help and -overwrite command line parameters.
Changed command line parsing logic (paths like "c:\mypath\" will now be parsed correctly).

System requirements:
Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5

Download:
Download TEXTURES Creator 1.4
Download source
Last edited by MaxED on Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:55 am, edited 14 times in total.
Springy

Re: [tool] TEXTURES Creator

Post by Springy »

Neat, downloading now. Is it only for textures or sprites as well?
Gez

Post by Gez »

Sprites are just a special kind of textures, and it's possible to create them in [wiki]TEXTURES[/wiki].
MaxED

Post by MaxED »

Springy wrote:Neat, downloading now. Is it only for textures or sprites as well?
As Gez said :)
You can set what type of texture to create using Texture type drop down.
If you set Texture type to Auto, if an image has word "sprite" somewhere in it's path, a Sprite TEXTURES entry will be created, otherwise Texture entry will be created.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Impressive! Just a small suggestion. You should have options to insert Offsets outside of the Patch namespace. This is currently the only way to offset high res HUD weapon sprites. Offsetting the patch and/or the graphic lump itself doesn't work.

Oh and... source code? =D

Code: Select all

Sprite wep1a0, 768, 400
{
	XScale 2
	YScale 2
	Offset 64, 0
	Patch wep1a0, 0, 0
}
MaxED

Post by MaxED »

Nash wrote:You should have options to insert Offsets outside of the Patch namespace.
I can add "Offset X" and "Offset Y" fields. I just didn't thought this would be very usefull for bath processing program like this.
Nash wrote:Oh and... source code? =D
Added :)
Nash

Post by Nash »

Thanks for this tool, MaxED. Can you add a help option to the command line?
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Awesome, thanks for this.
Springy

Post by Springy »

Gez wrote:Sprites are just a special kind of textures, and it's possible to create them in [wiki]TEXTURES[/wiki].
Oh okay, thanks for that I'm new to texture editing and creating you see.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Shouldn't the scaled size be separated by X and Y? Sometimes not all textures are square... also, having it save the last working directory would be nice.
MaxED

Post by MaxED »

Nash wrote:Shouldn't the scaled size be separated by X and Y? Sometimes not all textures are square...
Textures are scaled based on their longer dimension (so 512x256 texture will be scaled to 128x64 with XScale and YScale = 4)
Nash wrote:also, having it save the last working directory would be nice.
It's already saved in TexureCreator.cfg, which should appear in the same folder as TexureCreator.exe
Zero X. Diamond

Re: [tool] TEXTURES Creator 1.1

Post by Zero X. Diamond »

I'm having some trouble with this. Every single directory I use it with, no matter what's in it, fails to produce anything. I use it on a folder full of .TGA textures and it gives me a completely empty textures.auto.txt (save the "Created with" part) and the same textures converted to .PNG manage to snag one 256x256 texture to define. I've tinkered with every option and nothing seems to work.
MaxED

Post by MaxED »

Perhaps you are using it wrong (and perhaps I forgot to add "how to use" section :) ).
I've added "usage" section to first post. Hope that helps.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Brilliant tool! :) Thanks for this!
Zero X. Diamond

Post by Zero X. Diamond »

Even with it set up like a project with the textures.txt outputting to the main folder and reading from a /patches/ folder within that, it still only manages to grab one thing and put it in the file, largely ignoring the rest of them for no discernible reason. Doing it by command line shows that it apparently IS reading all of them... just not including them in the .txt for whatever reason.

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”