GZDoom Builder 2.3

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Enjay

Re: GZDoom Builder 1.14

Post by Enjay »

If you want it you can get it here:
http://www.wad-archive.com/wad/voxel_test.wad

It's just the same as the newer PK3 version with the exception that the switches haven't been fixed. ie, the switches are all at 90 degrees to where they are supposed to be (originally it looked fine but support in ZDoom was incorrect and the fix meant that the WAD became out of date).
MaxED

Post by MaxED »

ve3.jpg
Hmmm... Now this looks ways more promising than SLAB6
Vissova

Post by Vissova »

Well, my version of GZ-Models.pk3 seems to be working fine... Where did you get yours?..
Hmm. I think I downloaded mine off of a website that only had text and a white background. I wouldn't be able to remember it though.
I got models to work, as in I found out I had to load the pk3 file in the editor, but it gives me this error and doesn't load the models:
Spoiler:
I wouldn't know how to find one that works. Erm.. If it's not too much trouble, could you put up a link to download the one you're using? Maybe that would work. It has to be the one I'm using that's not working.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

Vissova wrote:I wouldn't know how to find one that works. Erm.. If it's not too much trouble, could you put up a link to download the one you're using? Maybe that would work. It has to be the one I'm using that's not working.
Maybe this will help you http://forum.drdteam.org/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=6109

The editor will have some warnings about dmd models:
Spoiler:
just close it.

And here are the monsters :D :
Spoiler:
In GZDB I opened GZ-Models.pk3 with DOOM2.WAD, just as advised in the link above, and artifact and monster sprites will be replaced by models.
Vissova

Post by Vissova »

It works!
I can see models now. Thank you for the help!
simc

Post by simc »

GZDoom Builder seems automaticly to join sectors when deleting linedefs.
But this might not be the desired result if the sector has separate areas.

For example if you have one big sector separating the zones of the multipart sector. When one of the shared linedefs is deleted all the other parts become merged to the big sector too.
Spoiler:
Could this be adjusted somehow to keep the other zones as a different sector? You can join the sectors with Ctrl-J or just J already. This is hazardous if the map has lots of merged sectors.

Here's a test wad, select one of the 2s lines, press delete and all the area's become united.
Attachments
sectors_merged.zip
(707 Bytes) Downloaded 20 times
simc

Post by simc »

Does GZDoom Builder occasionally clean-up "unnecessary" textures by it's own?

If there are neigboring sectors with the same floor and ceil heights and their shared linedefs have upper or lower textures, deleting a single vertex from those sectors will strip all the unseen textures from the shared linedefs.
Spoiler:
This looks like a designed feature. If there is a height difference between the sectors then again only the the unused textures are cleared. If either one of the sectors has a tag (predicting the sector's heights may change) none of the textures are cleared. By deleting I mean selecting the vertex and pressing del. Not dragging and dropping the vertex over an other vertex.

Is it possible to *SWITCH OFF* this feature? - When textures are removed blindly during making the map there goes also textures which would have been used eventually.

Sorry to ask about this (again), but I consider deleting vertices and linedefs as routine map editing tasks. Their behavior has changed radically if compared to the earlier Doom and GZDoom Builders. It's hard to understand the point of those improvements.
Gez

Post by Gez »

simc wrote:Does GZDoom Builder occasionally clean-up "unnecessary" textures by its own?
It's something that has been inherited from DB2. It has annoyed me too.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

IMO that should only ever be an option that is actively selected by the mapper; e.g. a menu item that says "Clean up unused textures" or something similar. There are 101 reasons to use textures in a way that might have DB stripping them out. Having this happen by default is definitely not a good idea IMO.
Gez

Post by Gez »

In the same kind of things: draw a sector next to an existing room, so that one of the one-sided linedefs become two-sided. Default behavior: new sector copies all properties from its preexisting neighbor, newly-two-sided linedef loses middle texture. I'd really like if, instead, the middle texture was transferred to both upper and lower sidedefs, saves me time when I then raise the floor and/or lower the ceiling.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Hmm... I dunno, I kind of like DB2's default behaviour this way... it was one of the selling points for me when DB2 was new. :S
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

That particular DB2 behavior is borderline malicious in effect, if not intent. D:

Exaggerations aside, I'd love an option to switch it off, as it's one of DB2's few annoying outstanding bits that needs to super-die, IMO.

[EDIT] ARGH, tried to update to a recent SVN release, and now I get this:
What on God's green earth are these linedef gaps and how do I fix the display?
[DOUBLE-EDIT] Urgh, seems to be an intentional display for sectors with 3D floors in them, but it looks absolutely fucked. Where's the flag/option to turn this off?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Nash wrote:Hmm... I dunno, I kind of like DB2's default behaviour this way... it was one of the selling points for me when DB2 was new. :S
It's good right up until the point where it starts removing textures that you don't want removed. Then, if it's not toggleable, you're screwed.

As some people know, I have not transitioned to DB2 from DeePsea as my main editor. However, I keep plugging away at DB2 (and now GZDB) so that I can at least gain some familiarity with UDMF. I have to say that, if this texture removing behaviour is not toggleable, I regard it as serious enough to be a deal breaker as far as a transition to DB is concerned. If it is as it seems to be from this thread, I regard it as a major flaw.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

Xaser wrote:What on God's green earth are these linedef gaps and how do I fix the display?
[DOUBLE-EDIT] Urgh, seems to be an intentional display for sectors with 3D floors in them, but it looks absolutely fucked. Where's the flag/option to turn this off?
It's really easy. Even my 5 year old grandson could do it. :)
Preferences - Appearance - 3D Floors
set the colour the same as the linedefs
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

There's no "3D Floors" section under the Appearance tab as you describe.

I did find the relevant option, though -- a sneaky flag called "Mark 3D Floors in Classic Modes". IMO that method of displaying things is completely broken (in more ways than one); something color-based as you're suggesting would indeed be a lot more useful.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”