GZDoom Builder 2.3

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
MaxED

Re: GZDoom Builder 1.14

Post by MaxED »

printz wrote:So you can also import model files?
If you mean import model as level geometry, then no.
printz wrote:Cool, this may be what I wanted for GZDoom. Is Blender (or another free tool) supported?
You can use any modeling package, which can load Wavefront obj files (including Blender).
MaxED

Post by MaxED »

Nash wrote:Pardon me for the stupid question but I don't get how this would enhance the GZDoom mapping pipeline. What's the purpose of exporting the map into an OBJ?
1. You can export parts of a map as a model and use it as a reference to create level-specific models (some decorative architectural details, like doorframes, pipes, grates, column decorations etc.).
2. You can create fancy renders of your map (Minecraft users tend to do that :) ).
3. You can use GZDB as a sketching tool for more modern engines, like Unity or UDK, to create basic floorplans of levels.

Nash wrote:About the only usefulness I can think of is that you can edit the map to have crazy shapes and reimport it back into GZDoom as an MD3 but:
2) MD3 polygon limit
GZDoom supports MD3 models with more than 8192 triangles / 4096 vertices. I've tested 32000+ polygon model and it worked fine in both GZDoom and GZDB.
Nash

Post by Nash »

MaxED wrote:
Nash wrote:Pardon me for the stupid question but I don't get how this would enhance the GZDoom mapping pipeline. What's the purpose of exporting the map into an OBJ?
1. You can export parts of a map as a model and use it as a reference to create level-specific models (some decorative architectural details, like doorframes, pipes, grates, column decorations etc.).
2. You can create fancy renders of your map (Minecraft users tend to do that :) ).
3. You can use GZDB as a sketching tool for more modern engines, like Unity or UDK, to create basic floorplans of levels.

Nash wrote:About the only usefulness I can think of is that you can edit the map to have crazy shapes and reimport it back into GZDoom as an MD3 but:
2) MD3 polygon limit
GZDoom supports MD3 models with more than 8192 triangles / 4096 vertices. I've tested 32000+ polygon model and it worked fine in both GZDoom and GZDB.
All valid answers... I'm seeing the bigger picture now. Thanks for the explanation!
Dortold

Post by Dortold »

I can't... seem to locate r1726 on the usual SVN page. Anyway, it sounds great. The most immediate application that I can think of is showing off fancy screenshots of entire 3D maps on forums. :)
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Dortold wrote:I can't... seem to locate r1726 on the usual SVN page.
Because it hasn't been uploaded yet. :P
printz

Post by printz »

MaxED wrote:
printz wrote:So you can also import model files?
If you mean import model as level geometry, then no.
Then how did you do that twisting of pillars from that MAP01 screenshot? Did you actually use the normal Doom editor for that?
MaxED

Post by MaxED »

printz wrote:Then how did you do that twisting of pillars from that MAP01 screenshot? Did you actually use the normal Doom editor for that?
I've exported this room to .obj, removed all geometry except columns and twisted them in modo 601 and added them back as MD3 models. The whole process took around 5 minutes.
Numnzel

Post by Numnzel »

It seems the color changes to event lines in the 1.14 (r1685) version don't work fine. Always is set as the default color, even if you change it to any color. Test it, maybe is a bug.

//PD: Thanks for that changes and everywhere, you and you guys are keeping doom modding live. =D
Numnzel

Post by Numnzel »

Hum, i forgot to post it: There is any form to disable those arrows that appears when you have a sector referenced to a line? When you have a lot of sectors referenced there are too arrows and i can't work correctly.

And maybe if you can put some buttons for disable the color changes of the new sectors (anyway you can set the new sector color as the same of the default sector, but is more easy do it with a button) and hide/show the angle and lenght when you build a new line can be a good idea in my opinion.

PD: The color changes to the event lines are applied to those reference arrows, i'm sure this is the bug, you need to put another color box for the colors of the arrows.
Dortold

Post by Dortold »

Numnzel, just hit this button to disable Event Lines.

Re Linedef colours, are you sure you only have one flag set for each colour? For instance, if you make a purple line preset called "Unpegged" and check both the 'lower unpegged' and 'upper unpegged' boxes, then you'll only see purple linedefs when both of those flag are applied to it. On that note, it would be neat if we could get grey checks for the boxes, like in the Thing Filter.

Regarding colouring of new sectors, a slightly more elegant way to disable it is by going to the 'Appearance' tab by moving the 'Number of new sectors to highlight' slider to 0.
MaxED

Post by MaxED »

Dortold wrote:On that note, it would be neat if we could get grey checks for the boxes, like in the Thing Filter.
Added in r1727.
gzdb_colorpresets.jpg
Numnzel

Post by Numnzel »

Dortold wrote:Numnzel, just hit this button to disable Event Lines.

Re Linedef colours, are you sure you only have one flag set for each colour? For instance, if you make a purple line preset called "Unpegged" and check both the 'lower unpegged' and 'upper unpegged' boxes, then you'll only see purple linedefs when both of those flag are applied to it. On that note, it would be neat if we could get grey checks for the boxes, like in the Thing Filter.

Regarding colouring of new sectors, a slightly more elegant way to disable it is by going to the 'Appearance' tab by moving the 'Number of new sectors to highlight' slider to 0.
Thanks for the screenshot Dortold, but about those linedefs color, i wanted to say that these linedefs are colored according to this panel (F6), and not this other panel. (F5)

You can see it here:
Spoiler:
MaxED

Post by MaxED »

Event lines are actually the arrows you call "reference arrow". What you call "event line" is actually a linedef with Action assigned to it.
Numnzel

Post by Numnzel »

MaxED wrote:Event lines are actually the arrows you call "reference arrow". What you call "event line" is actually a linedef with Action assigned to it.
Okay, thanks for the info MaxED, but there is any option to hide it? Don't think wrong, those arrows are a very good and useful idea, but some people may don't like it.
And another thing, this point is not important absolutely, i'ts only for visual purpose, but when you set the game configuration to "GZDoom: Doom (UDMF)" and you are editing the settings of a linedefs, you can see a scrollbar, but don't scrolls practically nothing. See it:
Spoiler:
I repeat, is not important, but this scroll bar does nothing, better remove it, no?
MaxED

Post by MaxED »

Numnzel wrote:...but there is any option to hide it? Don't think wrong, those arrows are a very good and useful idea, but some people may don't like it.
As Dortold already said,
Dortold wrote:Numnzel, just hit this button to disable Event Lines.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”