GZDoom Builder 1.14

Discuss all aspects of editing for ZDoom.
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

GZDoom Builder 1.14

Postby MaxED » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:53 pm

GZDoom Builder 1.14. Based on Doom Builder 2 SVN rev. 1604.
GZDoom Builder is a fork of Doom Builder 2, which i've started in march 2012. It's aim is to add some GZDoom features to Doom Builder 2 and improve usability where I see fit :)

Features:
Dynamic lights (all types) are rendered in Visual mode.
Dynamic lights defined in GLDEFS are rendered in Visual mode.
Animated lights.
Fog rendering (including colored fog in maps in UDMF format).
MD2 and MD3 models rendering in 2D and 3D modes.
More complete TEXTURES support.
Enhanced scripting workflow.
Custom linedef colors.
Multiple engines per game configuration support.
Textures browser shows folder structure of Folder/PK3/PK7 resources.
Partial GLDEFS and (Z)MAPINFO support.
Draw Rectangle, Draw Ellipse and Bridge modes.
Ability to move, cut, copy, paste, insert and delete Things in Visual modes.
Sector and Sidedef info panels show additional info if a map is in UDMF format.
Event lines.
"Test Map from current position" feature.
"Sync camera position between 2D and 3D modes" feature.
"Place Things at cursor position in Visual mode" feature.
JPG, TGA and PNG image format support.
PK7 archive format support.
Color Picker plugin.
UDMF Controls plugin.
Tag Explorer plugin.

Warning: GZDoom Visual mode plugin is no longer used by GZDoom Builder and will not be supported in the future versions. If you are going to update an existing copy of GZDB, make sure to remove GZDoomEditing.dll from "Plugins" folder!

New in GZDoom Builder 1.14:
Features:
Added Linedef Color Presets (can be found in Game Configurations window).
Spoiler:

Merged Visual mode and GZDoom Visual mode into GZDB Visual mode. GZDoomEditing.dll is no longer required. Rendering of (G)ZDoom rendering effects (slopes, 3D-floors etc.) can be toggled in GZDB Visual mode (default key is "Tab", action is Visual modes -> Toggle GZDoom rendering effects).
UDMF: Vertex height offsets ("zfloor" and "zceiling") are shown in GZDB Visual mode.
UDMF: Vertex height offsets can now be edited in GZDB Visual mode. Vertex handles can be toggled using "Toggle Visual Vertices" action (default shortcut is Alt-V) or using GZDoom tool bar.
UDMF: Vertex height offsets can now be edited in Vertex Edit form and are shown in Vertex Info panel.
Auto-align textures: sidedefs of 3D floors are now affected by auto align actions.
Multi-surface MD3 models with multiple textures defined inside model as shaders are now supported.
Multiple "Path" definitions per MODELDEF entry are now supported.
TEXTURES: added support for FlipX, FlipY, Rotate and Blend (both styles) path parameters.
TEXTURES: added support for "Add", "Modulate", "Subtract", "ReverseSubtract" and "Translucent" patch Translucency Styles
Visual mode: things with zero Height and Radius are now rendered.
Visual mode: when the thing category has sprite, and the thing doesn't, category sprite is used.
Visual Mode: geometry of translucent 3D floors now looks much more like in GZDoom.
Visual Mode: insides of 3D floors with "Swimmable" or "Render inside" types are now rendered.
Visual Mode, 3D floors: "16: Use a sidedef's upper texture to draw the sides" flag is now supported.
Visual Mode, 3D floors: "32: Use a sidedef's lower texture to draw the sides" flag is now supported.
Visual Mode, 3D floors: "64: Render the 3D floor using additive translucency" flag is now supported.
Visual Mode, 3D floors: "Ignore bottom height" flag is now supported.
Visual mode: control linedef's info is now shown when side of 3D floor is highlighted.
Visual mode: control linedef's properties are now shown when side of 3D floor is edited.
Thing Edit Form: added "Random angle" checkbox.
Added an option to disable loading of GZDoom's built-in GLDEFS definitions for current game (Preferences -> Appearance -> "Load GZDoom light definitions").
Map Analysis Mode: analysis results can now be saved to a text file.
Bridge mode: when source sidedefs don't have upper/lower textures, their middle textures are used instead.
Tag Explorer plugin: current listings can now be exported to a text file.
Find and Replace mode: added "Sector Brightness" search mode.
Added "Apply to all errors of this type" checkbox to Map Analysis window.
Added an option to enable DB2-style surface highlighting in Visual modes (when enabled, selected surfaces stay highlighted even if "Show Highlight" is set to OFF)
Increased view distance in Visual modes to 9000 map units.
Line angle is now displayed when a line is drawn in Draw Geometry mode.
Updated ZDBSP to 1.18.1.
Updated ZDoom ACC to r3889.
Updated documentation.

Fixes:
Auto-align textures, UDMF: texture's height was used instead of texture's width during horizontal alignment.
MODELDEF and GLDEFS-related errors and warnings are created more accurately now.
Models were not loaded when MODELDEF, texture and model itself were not in the same resource.
Some parts of MODELDF parser were more strict than GZDoom ones.
Fixed a crash when trying to load a model with more than 32767 vertices.
Visual Mode, 3D floors: textures weren't updated properly in some cases.
Visual mode: Change Brightness action behaves more correctly when used on various parts of sector with 3D floor(s).
Fixed incorrect UV mapping on MD2 models in Visual modes.
KeyUp event wasn't handled properly in some cases, leading to keys being "stuck".
Flood Fill Textures: when processed sidedef had no middle texture, new textures were applied to all parts of sidedef, even if High/Low textures were not required (e.g. on one-sided lines).
When a sector is removed and sector's former sidedef is still used and has upper/lower textures, one of them is now used as sidedef's middle texture, and both of them are removed if they are not required anymore.
DrawEllipseMode and DrawRectangleMode: a line will be created if shape's width or height = 0 (nothing but a single buggy vertex was created previously).
Lumps with names longer than 8 symbols can no longer be found in wads.
UDMF: Undo/Redo is now performed a bit faster (noticeably faster on high-detailed maps like The Refinery).
UDMF Controls form's close using [x] button wasn't handled properly.
Linedef and Sector Edit forms were saving default UDMF texture offsets (which led to increased map size).
Added some boilerplate to UDMF map format reader. If a property value is Integer and expected property type is Float, a value will be casted to float. In other cases of type mismatch, the property will be ignored and a warning will be added to Errors and Warnings window.
Fixed a bug when a linedef was not split when inserting a vertex, when distance from insert position to the linedef was greater than SplitLinedefsRange, but the vertex was placed on top of the linedef when it was snapped to grid.
Find and Replace mode: view was not updated properly when sector's floor or ceiling texture was changed using "Find any texture or flat" or "Sector flat" search modes.
Fixed a crash after performing "Reload MODELDEFS" action, when a texture or model was moved/renamed/deleted without reloading resources.
Fixed a crash on closing the editor when a model had no texture and UnknownTexture3D texture wasn't used anywhere in the map.
UnknownTexture3D was not displayed on models with no texture after performing "Reload MODELDEFS" action.
TranslucentLine (208) action's "additive" property values were inverted.
Fixed possible crash in Tag Explorer plugin.
Fixed several errors in ZDoom_misc.cfg

Changelog:
Spoiler:

Planned features:
Render sprites in 2D mode instead of thing boxes.
Sky as seen in GZDoom.

Required software:
If you already have Doom Builder 2 installed, you don't need any of these!
SlimDX (x86 version)
Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5 (if you already have .Net Framework 4.0 or 4.5 installed, you'll still need to install 3.5 version, because newer versions are not backwards compatible with it!)

System requirements:
• 2.4 GHz CPU or faster. (Multi-core recommended)
• Windows XP, Vista or 7.
• Graphics card with Pixel Shader model 2.0 support.

Known problems and limitations:
Incorrect UV-mapping on some of MD2 models.

If something isn't working:
This GZDB install guide by Kappes Buur may help you.

Other stuff that may interest you:
TEXTURES Creator
Blender 2.5X/2.6X MD3 Exporter for GZDoom

Download:
Download GZDoom Builder 1.14
Download latest SVN version from DRD Team
View recent SVN activity
Source on Sourceforge
Last edited by MaxED on Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:19 am, edited 95 times in total.
MaxED

Re: GZDoomBuilder: bringing GZDoom features into Doom Builde

Postby Nash » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:47 pm

HOLY CRAP DOWNLOADING

EDIT:

is it safe for me to just dump this into my current Doom Builder 2 r1489 folder and start using it right away? Or is there anything I need to be aware of?
Nash

Postby MaxED » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:27 pm

Well, original Builder.exe will be overwritten with mine and game configurations (especially "Includes" folder) may be messed up. Other than that it should be fine :)
MaxED

Postby Xtyfe » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:51 pm

Instead of making a fork, why not help codeimp improve his gzdoom plugin?
Xtyfe

Postby MaxED » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:35 pm

Xtyfe wrote:Instead of making a fork, why not help codeimp improve his gzdoom plugin?

That was my first thought. But after looking through code, I did't find a way to do that in a plugin (because I don't think Doom Builder's core classes like Render2D/3D or WorldVertex, or shader related ones can be changed/overriden by plugin).
Besides, there isn't much activity in Doom Builder 2 development now.
MaxED

Postby Xtyfe » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:40 pm

MaxED wrote:
Xtyfe wrote:Instead of making a fork, why not help codeimp improve his gzdoom plugin?

That was my first thought. But after looking through code, I did't find a way to do that in a plugin (because I don't think Doom Builder's core classes like Render2D/3D or WorldVertex, or shader related ones can be changed/overriden by plugin).
Besides, there isn't much activity in Doom Builder 2 development now.

I see, well i'm happy either way that you have taken this over :wub:
Xtyfe

Postby Sergeant_Mark_IV » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:33 pm

Can it render 3D floors and slopes in 3D view mode?
Sergeant_Mark_IV
Worse than Hitler.
Banned User

Location: United Communist Nazi Republic Dictactorship of Banana Land (Brazil)

Postby Blue Shadow » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:54 pm

Sergeant_Mark_IV wrote:Can it render 3D floors and slopes in 3D view mode?

The official Doom Builder 2 already can do that with its GZDoom Visual Mode plugin.
Blue Shadow

Postby MaxED » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:31 am

Sergeant_Mark_IV wrote:Can it render 3D floors and slopes in 3D view mode?

It uses the same GZDoom Visual mode plugin as Doom Builder 2, so yes, it can. Currently 3D floors aren't affected by dynamic lights though.
MaxED

Postby Agentbromsnor » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:35 am

Dude, if this works the way I hope it does I f'ing love it! :D Downloading ASAP!

I've always thought it would be awesome to implement Worldcraft-like features into Doom Builder.

Edit: never mind, the program crashes immediately at startup. :C ("GZDoom Builder has stopped working") Glad I didn't overwrite my old Doom Builder for this. :P
Agentbromsnor

Postby Mikk- » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:45 am

Have you downloaded the .NET & SlimDX frameworks? [I can't remember which ones, though]
Mikk-
I found a gun in the Laundry Cart, guess someone didn't like the room service.

Postby Agentbromsnor » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:01 am

I think I have .NET installed, not sure though. Can you provide me with a link? I still have GZBuilder on my desktop so I can try again.
Agentbromsnor

Postby MaxED » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:06 pm

Agentbromsnor wrote:I think I have .NET installed, not sure though. Can you provide me with a link? I still have GZBuilder on my desktop so I can try again.

There are setup files for .Net Framework 3.5 and SlimDX 2.0 in "GZDoomBuilder 1.0\Setup\" folder
MaxED

Postby Nash » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:22 pm

Works great so far, and I was about to report that the dynamic lights don't work on 3-d floor sectors, but it looks like you are aware of the issue. Hope this gets fixed.

Also looking forward to dynamic lights from DECORATE actors/GLDEFS.

Any plans for coloured fog support?

This editor is amazing. Thumbs up. :D
Nash

Postby Agentbromsnor » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:54 am

MaxED wrote:
Agentbromsnor wrote:I think I have .NET installed, not sure though. Can you provide me with a link? I still have GZBuilder on my desktop so I can try again.

There are setup files for .Net Framework 3.5 and SlimDX 2.0 in "GZDoomBuilder 1.0\Setup\" folder

I installed both of them and its still crashing upon startup...
Agentbromsnor

Next

Return to Editing