About Modding.

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
Zombieguy

About Modding.

Post by Zombieguy »

So, yeah. I figured it's finally time for me to try and make something of my own. I'm not a bright one. But maybe someone could give me some pointers, some great sites, or recources. I'm not sure I'll be able to bear through this... It looks confusing to me, I don't see how it's possible for others to comprehend this sort of thing. Writting the DECORATE/ACS looks like a load of work. How do I get started? What programs should I use?
jpalomo

Re: About Modding.

Post by jpalomo »

Your best friend is going to be the wiki. If you are getting into decorate, I would suggest starting with something easy, like a new decoration (no pun intended).

Also, I would suggest using Slade 3 for any modding you do for ZDoom. The only thing it can't do right now is make maps, which should be coming in the near future. You can find a link to it stickied in this forum.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

http://gunlabs.blogspot.com/ - Here ya go, this'll get you started on just about everything. Let me know if there are difficulties.
Zombieguy

Post by Zombieguy »

Thanks guys, I'll check these out.
Zombieguy

Post by Zombieguy »

Say, does anyone know how to rip/make/implement your own (weapon) sprites in Doom? Can Slade 3 be used for sprite editing?
Last edited by Zombieguy on Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nash

Post by Nash »

I would get a dedicated paint program for that... free ones are Paint.net, or GIMP, or GraphicsGale... or goold old Microsoft Paint.

(and I read your PM, but I don't have time to reply now, sorry, will do it tomorrow!)
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Zombieguy wrote:Say, does anyone know how to rip/make/implement your own (weapon) sprites in Doom? Can Slade 3 be use for sprite editing?
GunLabs has a whole tutorial about how to make, import, and adjust graphics using SLADE and a graphics program. SLADE cannot directly create graphics.
Zombieguy

Post by Zombieguy »

Nash wrote:(and I read your PM, but I don't have time to reply now, sorry, will do it tomorrow!)
That's quite alright, I understand. And thanks guys! I'll try to find some programs and get started.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

Some years ago some clever company exec had the gumption to sell everybody on his idea that learning a new language,
or for that matter any new skill, could be accomplished while listening to taped instructions during one's sleep. While they
sold enough tapes to amess a small fortune, it soon turned out though, that this process did not work. The only thing to
be learned that way was 'Consumer beware'. But I digress.

If you want to be accomplished in a certain task, the only way to do this is by being willing to learn. And having talent for
such a task helps immensely.

Luckily, there are some dedicated people who have done the heavy lifting for us. My hat off to those.

The programs you will need depent on how far you want to go with this.
The absolute minimum are two programs:
a map editor: Doombuilder 2
and a lump editor: Slade3
While there are other editors, these two are the most recent and offer support for the latest features of G/ZDoom.
But you know this already, you've been around for a couple of years.

Mapping in itself is quite easy. Simply throw down some sectors and save as your pwad. Doing the same so that the
map is a joy to play, is more difficult. But by this time you have played several maps created by others and that gives
you a guideline. If you stick with it, eventually, you develop your own style.

The main point, as in any endeavour, is that you have fun with what you are doing.

If you find that you enjoy building maps, then the next step is customization. New texture, new enemies, new weapons,
etc. To develop an understanding of what goes on here, have a look at REALM667's repository.

Downloading textures and using them is easy enough. But download some enemies and weapons, open them up with Slade3
and study the DECORATE lumps and how the sprites and sounds fit in. A companion to this would be the appropriate
Modding for ZDoom section of the ZDoom WIKI. Gunlabs is good also.

The other thing is scripting. ACS is a subform of the C language. While the ZDoom WIKI is sparse in explaining the language,
there are many good tutorials on the web. Again, look at existing maps to learn how somebody else did it. There are also
some good passages in the forum, although difficult to find at times.

Many mappers create maps for their own enjoyment only. If you should decide to make your map(s) public, then do not fall
into the trap to take negative comments from your fellow community members too serious. Some won't like your maps for
one reason or another, which is their right. Some will give genuine critisism, which you should welcome.

However, just as a forewarning, be aware that there are a few who have an axe to grind and will try to make you feel like the smallest piece of dirt on earth. Just keep members of this group in mind, to be avoided for any contact with them in future,
they are just not worth it.

Always remember that this is just a hobby. Have fun with it.
Zombieguy

Post by Zombieguy »

Thanks for the advice, it really helps. I often find myself trying to MOD Doom rather than playing it. Once I finnaly figure out how to get the hang of this, I'm gonna play the heck out of my own MOD for a change. :)
ReX

Post by ReX »

Zombieguy wrote:Once I finnaly figure out how to get the hang of this, I'm gonna play the heck out of my own MOD for a change. :)
You may be surprised to find yourself tiring of your own works after you've play-tested them a dozen or more times.

Here's a link to a series of tutorials for beginning as well as moderately-advanced DooM modders.
RV-007

Post by RV-007 »

I don't think I would be too helpful, but you can mess up these doom weapon mods as a start. Hopefully these would provide a general overview on DECORATE lump scripts.
Doom Class Mod:
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=30851
FlashLight Mod:
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=31759
Zombieguy

Post by Zombieguy »

Thanks again. I'm currently on my iPod Touch at the moment, and it's extremely hard getting around on safari like this. I'll give these links a good look once I get back home.

Return to “Editing (Archive)”