Are you using UDMF?

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.

Are you using UDMF?

Yes
60%
No, my editor doesn't support it
13%
No, I don't trust it, Hexen format seems more matured
No votes
No, I don't know what it's good for.
13%
No, <other reasons>
13%

Total votes: 45

Shadelight

Re: Are you using UDMF?

Post by Shadelight »

I'm using UDMF for my Heretic project.
CaptainToenail

Post by CaptainToenail »

I'm going to need to try this new format, are there any levels released already in this format that I can have a nosy in to see how they work?
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Nash wrote:I've totally switched to UDMF. There aren't even any Hexen-format configs left in my DB2 configs folder (I moved them all into an "unused" folder.
Same for me pretty, although I kept the vanilla formats for each game. (I don't know what happened to my "Hexen in Doom Format" config though, So I have to use the "Hexen in Hexen Format" one. :( )

I love UDMF for the ease of setting sector and line characteristics directly, rather than relying on line specials, scripts or kludges. The extensive line flags and activation modes are a big step up from Hexen's (which yes I am aware has no Doom Format :P ).
Gez

Post by Gez »

ZDoom lets you use the Doom format for Hexen, actually. More properly, the Heretic format, since that's the xlat associated to that game by default.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by NeuralStunner »

Then why didn't you make a config for it, eh? :P
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Waste of time.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

CaptainToenail wrote:I'm going to need to try this new format, are there any levels released already in this format that I can have a nosy in to see how they work?
This is hardly necessary, since aside from the removal of restrictions the old format and the new format are to large degrees much the same. The greater bulk of it would really be just adjusting the nuanced differences in the way DB and DB2 behave. If you've worked with a Doom editor before you should pick up on UDMF in no time, just quickly taking a moment to see how to directly set properties on linedefs, sectors, etc. (and that's not a problem as this interface isn't exactly hidden in DB2 or anything).
Gez

Post by Gez »

NeuralStunner wrote:Then why didn't you make a config for it, eh? :P
It would be used even less than the Harmony config. A lot of Hexen actors wouldn't work correctly if you can't give them args anyway. So if someone wanted to make a proper Hexen-in-Heretic config, you'd have to clear out all the unusable actors and things (such as polyobjects, heh). There are more useful things to do in one's spare time.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

When I was working on Bitman Zeta, at one point a XWE (yeah I know) save went horribly awry and corrupted my level by inexplicably splitting the data across multiple lumps. Thanks to the text-based format I was able to easily reunite all the pieces and put them into a backup of the main wad, losing absolutely no work whatsoever.

I'm fond of UDMF, yes.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Kinsie wrote:When I was working on Bitman Zeta, at one point a XWE (yeah I know) save went horribly awry and corrupted my level by inexplicably splitting the data across multiple lumps.
Sounds like it fucked up the directory. (Which is where a wad stores the starting offsets of each lump.)
Ceeb

Post by Ceeb »

XWE only does that to me if I have the WAD open in more than one tool. So... Yo' fault, boy.
ETTiNGRiNDER

Post by ETTiNGRiNDER »

I've been using it for anything that I start with the intent of putting it into a ZDoom mod, though I admit that this thread has been enlightening since I was just using it because "uh, it's good, so use it" before. I still use Doom format / Hexen format for anything that I think I might want to have work across other ports, though.
Sonnyboy

Post by Sonnyboy »

UDMF knocked me on my ass the first time I tried it. I haven't used anything else since.
Sodaholic

Post by Sodaholic »

I've been using the Hexen format out of familiarity, but I'm thinking of switching my Doom Bible TC over to UDMF. Can anyone point me to how I should go about converting my maps? (they're in Hexen format, not doom (obviously :P))
Ceeb

Post by Ceeb »

I think there's some converters. I just pasted my map into a new UDMF map, and then manually reset everything's properties.

Just don't forget to first go into the custom tabs and wipe all the garbage data copying from binary gives you.

Return to “Editing (Archive)”