Are you using UDMF?

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.

Are you using UDMF?

Yes
60%
No, my editor doesn't support it
13%
No, I don't trust it, Hexen format seems more matured
No votes
No, I don't know what it's good for.
13%
No, <other reasons>
13%

Total votes: 45

esselfortium

Re: Are you using UDMF?

Post by esselfortium »

Ceeb wrote:I think there's some converters. I just pasted my map into a new UDMF map, and then manually reset everything's properties.

Just don't forget to first go into the custom tabs and wipe all the garbage data copying from binary gives you.
Garbage data? Huh? I didn't have to do anything like that when I've converted Hexen format maps to UDMF...
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Cutmanmike »

Kinsie wrote:When I was working on Bitman Zeta, at one point a XWE (yeah I know) save went horribly awry and corrupted my level by inexplicably splitting the data across multiple lumps. Thanks to the text-based format I was able to easily reunite all the pieces and put them into a backup of the main wad, losing absolutely no work whatsoever.
And the morale of the story is: Don't use XWE!

...At least I think it is :|
Gez

Post by Gez »

See talk page for UDMF on the wiki if you're looking for converters.
Demolisher
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Demolisher »

I converted my map by copying it into a UDMF map in a second instance of Doom Builder 2. It worked for me I guess, I just had to change one or too specials.
CodeImp

Post by CodeImp »

Since UDMF seems so popular, I have written this little plugin. See video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGoftSoT98I
You can get it here: http://doombuilder.com/index.php?p=plugins
Nash

Post by Nash »

Very useful plugin. Thanks CodeImp!
Ceeb

Post by Ceeb »

esselfortium wrote:Garbage data? Huh? I didn't have to do anything like that when I've converted Hexen format maps to UDMF...
It's weird. When I converted my maps from Hexen to UDMF, the custom tabs for linedefs, sectors, and things were absolutely filled with many megabytes of random integers.
CodeImp

Post by CodeImp »

Although it possible through copy/paste, Doom Builder is not a map converter, so if it doesn't work, don't blame me :P (but it does work, I've done it and it doesn't put any crap in the custom fields as far as I could see)
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Project Shadowcat »

For the longest time I've stuck with Doom in Hexen format for familiarity and that I just haven't bothered to convert any maps to the new UDMF format. I'm not doubting its capabilities the slightest, it's just that I've been too lazy to switch over. :P
Ceeb

Post by Ceeb »

CodeImp wrote:Although it possible through copy/paste, Doom Builder is not a map converter, so if it doesn't work, don't blame me :P (but it does work, I've done it and it doesn't put any crap in the custom fields as far as I could see)
Then it really doesn't make sense. Hell Worm's maps were in ZDoom (Doom In Hexen) format. When I pasted everything to a UDMF map, all lines lost their properties except specials. Stuff like impassible, doublesided, unpegged and so on were all lost but the custom fields were full of garbage. :shrug:
CodeImp

Post by CodeImp »

Try it again in the latest version, maybe it was a bug in an older version? But I don't care really, there are map converters out there that do a better job at this.
Ceeb

Post by Ceeb »

Too late anyway.

Return to “Editing (Archive)”