SLADE Discussion - Latest: v3.2.5 (19/Dec/2023)

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Re: SLADE v3.0.1 Released

Post by Kappes Buur »

This is concerning the print map feature.
While it is of great value, it only prints the map, making identification of the map at a later date difficult.

Could it be done that it also prints the map with the name same as the filename ?
Something like this:
Spoiler:
Gez

Post by Gez »

I'd think the filename would be enough. That said, I could add an option to add a horizontal band above or below the image in which the name would be written. However, I don't want to work on that feature until I have a way to create arbitrarily-sized images. (Really, I'd like this feature to create map images larger than what can be displayed in the preview. And it's the other way around.) OpenGL is a very unintuitive and novice-unfriendly API and I can't figure out how to make it use a renderbuffer and this didn't work either.
sirjuddington

Post by sirjuddington »

This tutorial might come in handy for that. Not sure if some of the stuff it uses will require GLEW though (and I just removed it in a recent revision :P)
Gez

Post by Gez »

Yeah, I tried that (even used r866 so GLEW would still be there). All I get is fully transparent images. Rather pointless.

If anybody cares, here's the patch that doesn't work. As you can see I've tried a few things.
sirjuddington

Post by sirjuddington »

Weird. I will look into that kind of thing sometime, but really it would be better suited to the proper map editor where it could save a more detailed and customisable image of the map.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Sodaholic wrote:Probably not the right place for a feature suggestion, but is it possible that there could be a directory editing mode? What I mean is, treat a specified folder as a zip archive. I am about to develop a zip mod as a folder, and it will be "compiled" with a batch file telling 7-Zip to pack the contents of a folder.
I'd like this too. All of my projects have been in directory form, I haven't used any WAD tools for a very long time now. But I like some of the tools, editors and features in SLADE 3, was hoping I could integrate it into my workflow.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Even with PK3 archives, the PNG tools alone are well worth it. :D
Sodaholic

Post by Sodaholic »

Speaking of the PNG tools, is it possible to have it be run through some better optimization during image conversion? I've noticed that 32-bit PNGs saved with Paint.NET are smaller than identical images reencoded by Slade3. I'd really like to be able to save some space.

Perhaps somehow integrate PNGCrush or something similar?
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Move Entry Up/Down is no longer working in PK3 archives. Is this intentional? The selection now jsut moves up and down, but the actual items remain in the same place. Sorting is only possible by cut and paste (or opening in another file manager and adding a file, to force a repack).

Also it would be nice if the Textures preview showed sprites in their offset positions. Pretty much just like the standard graphic viewer. A toggle between assembly mode or preview mode would be very useful!
sirjuddington

Post by sirjuddington »

NeuralStunner wrote:Is this intentional?
Of course not :P
NeuralStunner wrote:Also it would be nice if the Textures preview showed sprites in their offset positions. Pretty much just like the standard graphic viewer. A toggle between assembly mode or preview mode would be very useful!
Yeah it's still very WIP
Gez

Post by Gez »

I found four PNGs in Kyka's Mea Culpa MAP07 beta that SLADE can't open. Their problem is that their CRC for the IDAT chunk is incorrect, and that stops FreeImage from loading them. Dunno if we could, or should, do something about files like that.

And on this topic...
Sodaholic wrote:Speaking of the PNG tools, is it possible to have it be run through some better optimization during image conversion? I've noticed that 32-bit PNGs saved with Paint.NET are smaller than identical images reencoded by Slade3. I'd really like to be able to save some space.

Perhaps somehow integrate PNGCrush or something similar?
Done.

It's a bit simple right now. I've forced PNGCrush to use the brute option (which means that generally PNGout cannot reduce them further), which can be a bit slow if you batch process a lot of files. I suppose there could be more options for each utility, especially if OptiPNG is added (since it wants to be given an optimization level) but on the other hand, SLADE isn't a frontend for these utilities so it's good to keep it simple.

For best results, you should tell SLADE the paths of at least one of PNGout and PNGCrush, and that of DeflOpt.

Oh yeah and I suppose DeflOpt could be called on zip files too.
disposable_username2

Post by disposable_username2 »

Gez wrote:However, I don't want to work on that feature until I have a way to create arbitrarily-sized images.
Can't you use SLADE's own map scaling code which is in the map editor branch? Like, if you want to make image 2x larger, zoom in to the top left corner of the map, render it, zoom in to the top right corner, and so on.
disposable_username2

r883 crashes when trying to open Ultimate Freedoom v0.7, downloaded from here: http://www.nongnu.org/freedoom/download.html
slade3_crash.txt:

Code: Select all

Stack Trace:
0: (d:\jeux\doom\source\slade3\src\imageformats.h:293) DoomGfxAlphaDataFormat::isThisFormat()
1: RtlFreeHeap() 
(Yes, that's all that's there.)
Gez

Post by Gez »

Works for me. I've tried both the one on the page and the actual 0.7, both open successfully.
disposable_username2

What the hell is going on?

Made a few fresh copies of SLADE3, with and without "portable" file.
Got 2 3 different traces there.
Spoiler:
After that the problem fixed itself. Oh no, it crashed again. And sometimes it works, but rather rarely.
I'm using WinXP SP3 btw.

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”