SLADE Discussion - Latest: v3.2.5 (19/Dec/2023)

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Xtyfe
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: SLADE v3.0.1 Released

Post by Xtyfe »

What the hell are the chances of that? :shock:
Gez

Post by Gez »

Rather low. :)

A snea picture is made up of a two-byte header which corresponds to quarter of width for the first, height for the second. The ASCII code for / is 47, so by starting a text file with //, and reading it as a snea, it will think it's a 47*4 x 47 picture. That corresponds to 8836 pixels of data. Add the two bytes of the header, and you have 8838. Since the file has exactly that size, it is valid.

When you start with an empty new line, the header will instead contain the linebreak values. On Windows systems, a new line is two characters, called CR and LF, with ASCII codes 13 and 10. As a snea, that'd correspond to 520 pixels, so if a text lump is 522 bytes and start with a new line this little confusion will happen as well. There might be other similar issues; if a file is exactly 768-byte-long it'll risk being confused with a palette and if it's exactly 4096 it'll be taken for a flat.

I think it might be possible to check maybe the first 16 bytes of each file to see if they aren't all in the valid range for ASCII characters, and if so treat the file as text. For formats with no headers (like flats) or weak headers (like snea), that could be used as a disqualifying check.
amv2k9

Post by amv2k9 »

Quick question: Does SLADE compile ACS, and can it decompile as well? I DL'ed 3.01 last night and looked around for the options but didn't see it. I was mostly wondering, because the commonest decompilers out there now seem to be designed for older ACS, and might just spit out garbage when trying to decompile newer ACS libraries.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by NeuralStunner »

amv2k9 wrote:Quick question: Does SLADE compile ACS, and can it decompile as well?
No and no. It can, however, pull a Scripts lump and call ACC to compile it, provided you set up the program path.

As for decompiling, I know of nothing that can actually do that. There's one or two disassemblers about, but they're not going to deconstruct the lump back into a script.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

I've come across another strange bug with the textures editor.

when defining a new texture by adding patches to it with the "+" button. The window comes up and it allows you to choose from a list of patches to add. Sometimes, however, it would randomly only add the name of the patch to the texture without actually adding the graphic. The texture would be listed on the side, but no patch-graphics is actually in the texture. Deleted all the ones that do show, and it's definitely that sometimes patches appear to be invisible.
Demolisher

Post by Demolisher »

Crash:

Code: Select all

Stack Trace:
0: std::basic_string<wchar_t,std::char_traits<wchar_t>,std::allocator<wchar_t> >::assign()
1: std::basic_string<unsigned short,std::char_traits<unsigned short>,std::allocator<unsigned short> >::basic_string<unsigned short,std::char_traits<unsigned short>,std::allocator<unsigned short> >()
occurs when clicking compile on an acs source lump named "scripts" with no other lump in the folder.
cq75

Post by cq75 »

Slade just froze on me, no error message, and I had to kill it with the task manager. (Windows XP SP3)

At the time, I had the text editor open, but I was browsing through some folders on the left pane to see which sprites to add in my DECORATE lump.

It's happened before

EDIT - just happened again, this time I was editing SNDINFO while looking through my sounds. It seems to have a problem with browsing while having the text editor open...
sirjuddington

Post by sirjuddington »

Eriance wrote:I've come across another strange bug with the textures editor.

when defining a new texture by adding patches to it with the "+" button. The window comes up and it allows you to choose from a list of patches to add. Sometimes, however, it would randomly only add the name of the patch to the texture without actually adding the graphic. The texture would be listed on the side, but no patch-graphics is actually in the texture. Deleted all the ones that do show, and it's definitely that sometimes patches appear to be invisible.
Are you still using 3.0.1, or did you update to a newer svn version? This sounds like it's caused by the same bug that stopped SLADE from detecting there were any TEXTURE1/2 entries in the archive.
Demolisher wrote:Crash:

Stack Trace:
0: std::basic_string<wchar_t,std::char_traits<wchar_t>,std::allocator<wchar_t> >::assign()
1: std::basic_string<unsigned short,std::char_traits<unsigned short>,std::allocator<unsigned short> >::basic_string<unsigned short,std::char_traits<unsigned short>,std::allocator<unsigned short> >()
occurs when clicking compile on an acs source lump named "scripts" with no other lump in the folder.
Should be fixed now. Were you intending to compile that as a library? If so, name it something other than 'scripts', otherwise it will be treated as a map scripts entry, and a BEHAVIOR entry will be generated.
cq75 wrote:Slade just froze on me, no error message, and I had to kill it with the task manager. (Windows XP SP3)

At the time, I had the text editor open, but I was browsing through some folders on the left pane to see which sprites to add in my DECORATE lump.

It's happened before

EDIT - just happened again, this time I was editing SNDINFO while looking through my sounds. It seems to have a problem with browsing while having the text editor open...
You mean the entry list, or the file browser?
cq75

Post by cq75 »

sirjuddington wrote:
cq75 wrote:Slade just froze on me, no error message, and I had to kill it with the task manager. (Windows XP SP3)

It's happened before

You mean the entry list, or the file browser?
The entry list
Demolisher

Post by Demolisher »

sirjuddington wrote: Should be fixed now. Were you intending to compile that as a library? If so, name it something other than 'scripts', otherwise it will be treated as a map scripts entry, and a BEHAVIOR entry will be generated.
Lol my library is named behavior, because SLumped only compiled lumps named "scripts" correctly.
Skippy

Post by Skippy »

Hoping that some of the Linux users here could help me out, as I'm having trouble compiling r834 on Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic).

I've confirmed that FluidSynth is installed correctly, but when I run make the compilation fails. The last part of the make output reads thus:

g++ -c -O2 -DNDEBUG `wx-config --version=2.9 --debug=no --cxxflags std,aui,gl,stc` -o src/MIDIPlayer.o src/MIDIPlayer.cpp
src/MIDIPlayer.cpp: In constructor ‘MIDIPlayer::MIDIPlayer()’:
src/MIDIPlayer.cpp:56: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’
src/MIDIPlayer.cpp:56: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’
src/MIDIPlayer.cpp: In member function ‘bool MIDIPlayer::openFile(string)’:
src/MIDIPlayer.cpp:88: error: invalid conversion from ‘const char*’ to ‘char*’
src/MIDIPlayer.cpp:88: error:   initializing argument 2 of ‘int fluid_player_add(fluid_player_t*, char*)’
src/MIDIPlayer.cpp: In member function ‘bool MIDIPlayer::play()’:
src/MIDIPlayer.cpp:100: error: ‘FLUID_OK’ was not declared in this scope
src/MIDIPlayer.cpp: In member function ‘bool MIDIPlayer::isPlaying()’:
src/MIDIPlayer.cpp:124: error: ‘fluid_player_get_status’ was not declared in this scope
src/MIDIPlayer.cpp:124: error: ‘FLUID_PLAYER_PLAYING’ was not declared in this scope
make: *** [src/MIDIPlayer.o] Error 1
Any ideas? I'm still something of a novice when it comes to compiling from source, so apologies if this is an obvious problem I'm not seeing. :?
japboy

Post by japboy »

Hello, I recently switched to Mac OS X (from Ubuntu).
I'm currently trying to build SLADE on OS X. Anyone already have done this successfully?

I've installed MesaLib and FreeImage from MacPorts, and wxWidgets 2.9.1 from the source. However I just cannot make SLADE. I guess it's because of wxWidgets configuration... I'm not sure though X( Does anyone have any ideas?

By the way, I found a branch named map_editor in the SLADE repository! Has this already started to implement!? I'm so excited XD
Gez

Post by Gez »

I don't think anyone has tried to build SLADE for Macs. If you can figure it out, do not hesitate to write how you did here, and if patches are needed for Mac stuff, we'll welcome them. What Mac do you have, is it an old PowerPC or a newer Intel Mac? I'm not sure there are endianness checks everywhere they're needed so compiling it for big-endian machines would be a good way to check this.

And yeah, the map editor has started, but at the moment it's just a like the map preview, except with zoom and scroll.
sirjuddington

Post by sirjuddington »

Skippy wrote:Hoping that some of the Linux users here could help me out, as I'm having trouble compiling r834 on Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic).

I've confirmed that FluidSynth is installed correctly, but when I run make the compilation fails. The last part of the make output reads thus:

g++ -c -O2 -DNDEBUG `wx-config --version=2.9 --debug=no --cxxflags std,aui,gl,stc` -o src/MIDIPlayer.o src/MIDIPlayer.cpp
src/MIDIPlayer.cpp: In constructor ‘MIDIPlayer::MIDIPlayer()’:
src/MIDIPlayer.cpp: In member function ‘bool MIDIPlayer::openFile(string)’:
src/MIDIPlayer.cpp:88: error: invalid conversion from ‘const char*’ to ‘char*’
src/MIDIPlayer.cpp:88: error:   initializing argument 2 of ‘int fluid_player_add(fluid_player_t*, char*)’
src/MIDIPlayer.cpp: In member function ‘bool MIDIPlayer::play()’:
src/MIDIPlayer.cpp:100: error: ‘FLUID_OK’ was not declared in this scope
src/MIDIPlayer.cpp: In member function ‘bool MIDIPlayer::isPlaying()’:
src/MIDIPlayer.cpp:124: error: ‘fluid_player_get_status’ was not declared in this scope
src/MIDIPlayer.cpp:124: error: ‘FLUID_PLAYER_PLAYING’ was not declared in this scope
make: *** [src/MIDIPlayer.o] Error 1
Any ideas? I'm still something of a novice when it comes to compiling from source, so apologies if this is an obvious problem I'm not seeing. :?
It looks like you have the wrong version of fluidsynth installed (either older or newer, not sure).
japboy wrote:Hello, I recently switched to Mac OS X (from Ubuntu).
I'm currently trying to build SLADE on OS X. Anyone already have done this successfully?

I've installed MesaLib and FreeImage from MacPorts, and wxWidgets 2.9.1 from the source. However I just cannot make SLADE. I guess it's because of wxWidgets configuration... I'm not sure though X( Does anyone have any ideas?
Can you post the compiler output?
japboy

Post by japboy »

@Gez

Thanks for your quick reply. Here's some details of my environment;
  • Mac OS X 10.6.6 Intel (iMac mid 2010)
    wxWidgets 2.9.1 (Source archive) *`./configure`-d with `--with-opengl` option
    FreeImage 3.14.1 (MacPorts)
Actually, I'm not a programming guy so not really sure about endianness... :3: Anyway I hoep this helps pointing me out the correct way :D , and yes, I'm happy to write HOWTO and update the Wiki when everything goes well :D

@sirjuddington

Thanks for your reply! I hope this helps... I'm trying to build the latest repository version, btw.

$ make
g++ -c -O2 -DNDEBUG `wx-config --version=2.9 --debug=no --cxxflags std,aui,gl,stc` -o src/ACSPrefsPanel.o src/ACSPrefsPanel.cpp
In file included from /usr/local/include/wx-2.9/wx/chkconf.h:1128,
                 from /usr/local/include/wx-2.9/wx/platform.h:711,
                 from /usr/local/include/wx-2.9/wx/defs.h:26,
                 from /usr/local/include/wx-2.9/wx/string.h:25,
                 from src/Main.h:22,
                 from src/ACSPrefsPanel.cpp:30:
/usr/local/include/wx-2.9/wx/osx/chkconf.h:73:1: warning: "wxOSX_USE_CARBON" redefined
/usr/local/include/wx-2.9/wx/osx/chkconf.h:59:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition
/usr/local/include/wx-2.9/wx/osx/chkconf.h:104:38: error: wx/osx/cocoa/chkconf.h: No such file or directory
In file included from src/ACSPrefsPanel.cpp:30:
src/Main.h:51:19: error: GL/gl.h: No such file or directory
In file included from src/Main.h:59,
                 from src/ACSPrefsPanel.cpp:30:
src/Structs.h: In member function ‘void rgba_t::set_gl()’:
src/Structs.h:223: error: ‘glColor4f’ was not declared in this scope
src/Structs.h:227: error: ‘GL_SRC_ALPHA’ was not declared in this scope
src/Structs.h:227: error: ‘GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA’ was not declared in this scope
src/Structs.h:227: error: ‘glBlendFunc’ was not declared in this scope
src/Structs.h:229: error: ‘GL_SRC_ALPHA’ was not declared in this scope
src/Structs.h:229: error: ‘GL_ONE’ was not declared in this scope
src/Structs.h:229: error: ‘glBlendFunc’ was not declared in this scope
make: *** [src/ACSPrefsPanel.o] Error 1

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”