SLADE Discussion - Latest: v3.2.5 (19/Dec/2023)

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Pandut
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: SLADE v3.1.0 Released - first post updated

Post by Pandut »

Gez wrote:Try to rename or delete the existing config files and see if it runs better. If it does you can try to compare the old config files with the new to try to find which line causes the problem.
Hmm neither renaming or deleting didn't seem to do anything. I still see the loading icon as if it's trying to open SLADE but then it just stops and only appears in Task Manager.

EDIT: I've defaulted to a previous version and it's running without any issues so it's likely just something herpyderpy with the new version.
MaxED

Post by MaxED »

Can we have a bit more descriptive error messages?
I'm trying to write my own little FON2 maker. Something is definitely not right with it, cause Slade 3.1.0.4 displays me these helpful messages when I try to view the attached font generated by it:
sladee1.jpg
sladee1.jpg (8.56 KiB) Viewed 1991 times
sladee2.jpg
sladee2.jpg (9.87 KiB) Viewed 1991 times
Attachments
BIGFONT_MOD.rar
(787 Bytes) Downloaded 42 times
Gez

Post by Gez »

You're getting an overflow. The RLE decoding continues past the end of the lump. The problem seems to originate from wrong character width data. Perhaps an endianness confusion, or an offset off by one? It aborts on the second character, trying to read 47872 pixels to fill a 2816x17 image. 2816 is 0x0B00, and I suppose the real value should be 0x000B to get a 17x17 image.
MaxED

Post by MaxED »

Ugh... Can you provide some information about RLE algorithm used? Because either I'm doing something wrong, or it doesn't match the one wiki describes...
Gez

Post by Gez »

Here's the code used in SLADE, with some actual error messages added, and the temporary DPrintf line added to log some info to the console:
Spoiler:
If I change the code to read character widths as big endian, then it still fails to load, so it's not the only problem.

Also, [wiki]ImageTool[/wiki]'s source code can no longer be found, but I had downloaded it a long while ago so here's font.c from it:
Spoiler:
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

Gez wrote:Also, [wiki]ImageTool[/wiki]'s source code can no longer be found, ...
Isn't that the source code?
http://zdoom.org/files/utils/
Gez

Post by Gez »

Looks like it is, thanks.
Hindsight2020

Post by Hindsight2020 »

Among many issues I've been having with 3.1.0.4 I've been most frustrated with the following:

-Why can't I make my .wad / .pk3 open with Slade by default? It was working just fine with Slade 3.0.2... When I updated it installed In a new folder and I had 2 instances of Slade installed. Lacking an uninstall option for v3.0.2 I just deleted it. When I use "open with" and attemp to select the new Slade3 it won't even recognize it and allow me to set it.

-At random times when I open Slade3 it runs me thru the initial setup and all of my preferences are gone. I've had to do this multiple times.

Please help. I love some of the new features I've been able to use, but I've resorted back to v3.0.2 for the time being.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Sometimes, whenever I import a 256-colour PNG and adjust the offsets, it loses all the transparency data. It will always effect that specific image forever. If I make adjustments and reimport, it will still mess up once I edit the offsets. 99% of images are fine, but the 1% are the ones I always need.

Any ideas? This has been affecting me for literal years, but this can't just be affecting me...?
Gez

Post by Gez »

Can you upload some of these pictures, then?
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

The first image imports just fine. The second breaks once offsets are added.
Eevee

Post by Eevee »

Can you upload the images to a non-image host, so you know for sure that they aren't being re-encoded? I suspect this might be a problem with PNGs that use indexed color but 8-bit transparency — it's an uncommon combination and I've seen tools choke on it before.
Tekmon_Xonic

Post by Tekmon_Xonic »

I believe I have a very crippling bug to report in the latest version of Slade.

I was in the middle of rearranging my doom mod folder with Slade still open, and I had moved around Slade .bak files as well. Now it seems that every time I save a wad or PK3 I'm working on, all files are overwritten with the files of another mod I was working on previously. Which happened to be Brutal Doom.

I believe that Slade is in a glitched state, and is overwriting all the files on mods I'm working with a temporary .bak file from one of the files when I save any progress while I have slade open while rearranging mods. I'm going to try and see if I can fix it, but I thought it would be a good idea to give you a heads up in the process. :)

////////////////
// !!!Update!!! //
///////////////

I got Slade Working again. I remove all of the .bak files I had lying around, I uninstalled slade, deleted the SLADE3 folder in appdata/roaming, and now mods save properly.

I don't know what happened, but I'm glad its fixed. Still, keep this post for reference. This may be a bug that needs fixed. 8-)
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Eevee wrote:Can you upload the images to a non-image host, so you know for sure that they aren't being re-encoded? I suspect this might be a problem with PNGs that use indexed color but 8-bit transparency — it's an uncommon combination and I've seen tools choke on it before.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/258 ... HWEPA0.png
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/258 ... HWEPB0.png

I'm just using the Indexed Color and Save For Web > PNG-8 settings in Photoshop.
Hindsight2020

Post by Hindsight2020 »

FEATURE REQUEST

Is it possible (or would it be possible) to view all textures in a grid format like the DB2/GZDB texture selector?

It'd be nice to see all the textures at once instead of scrolling thru them so its easier to find what you're looking for when the name of the textures are numbered instead of descriptive. I'm currently looking thru the Counterstrike texture pack(http://realm667.com/index.php/en/textur ... e-textures) to decide what I need, but there are thousands of textures (amazing textures, btw) and none are descriptively named. So I have to scroll thru each one individually to know what it is.

Thanks!

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”