SLADE Discussion - Latest: v3.2.5 (19/Dec/2023)

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
MaxED

Re: SLADE v3.1.0 Released - first post updated

Post by MaxED »

Gez wrote:Not sure about the missing line breaks (though it shouldn't matter to any UDMF parsers).
It does break GZDB's UDMF parser because of some caching hacks I've added to gain 2x performance boost...
Gez wrote:Problem 4 I can't replicate.
On my side it happens when I open any child window in the Map Editor (like Properties, Texture Browser etc.) and then move that window.
Spoiler:
Last edited by MaxED on Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
edward850

Post by edward850 »

MaxED wrote:It does break GZDB's UDMF parser because of some caching hacks I've added to gain 2x performance boost...
That means the specs for your UDMF parser doesn't match. Strange or not, the bug is with your code.
MaxED

Post by MaxED »

I'm aware of that. I had to make it stricter than UDMF format specification (GZDB's parser expects a single UDMF property per line) to gain performance boost. Adding additional checks will decrease that boost, so I don't want to add them.
edward850

Post by edward850 »

You know if you get Slade3 to change it now, something else is going to be like that later. You cannot hope to assume that it's going to always be like that.
Gez

Post by Gez »

You cannot really expect every UDMF output will conform to these stricter specs (other than DB2/GZDB and SLADE3, there are many UDMF apps, like converters and more-or-less finished random map generators). Maybe you could use a special comment at the top of the file to determine whether it's made by GZDB and reliable, or not. I won't begrudge performance boosts, especially given how large UDMF maps can get. (I know I wouldn't try editing something like ZDCMP2 in SLADE's map editor.)

The missing line break is pretty simple:

Code: Select all

object_def += S_FMT("texturefloor=\"%s\";\ntextureceiling=\"%s\";", sectors[a]->f_tex, sectors[a]->c_tex);
Literally just a \n missing. Easily changed.
MaxED

Post by MaxED »

I've added that hack more than a year ago and nobody ever complained, so...
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Gez wrote:Maybe you could use a special comment at the top of the file to determine whether it's made by GZDB and reliable, or not.
Agreed here, it could be useful for other things in the future.

I've also wondered about the possibility of storing certain basic .dbs settings (game, grid size) in the UDMF "header" as comments. I think it could make it quicker to sync these settings between editors.
MaxED

Post by MaxED »

NeuralStunner wrote:I've also wondered about the possibility of storing certain basic .dbs settings (game, grid size) in the UDMF "header" as comments. I think it could make it quicker to sync these settings between editors.
Or create a new editor settings file format (or lump?), compatible with both editors (this way it won't be limited to UDMF map format). Or just add .dbs support to Slade.
Gez

Post by Gez »

MaxED wrote:
NeuralStunner wrote:I've also wondered about the possibility of storing certain basic .dbs settings (game, grid size) in the UDMF "header" as comments. I think it could make it quicker to sync these settings between editors.
Or create a new editor settings file format (or lump?), compatible with both editors (this way it won't be limited to UDMF map format). Or just add .dbs support to Slade.
Maybe. Last time the issue was broached, the idea was to support both internal and external metadata, subject to user preference. Interoperating on the .dbs files seems possible. The format is quite similar to what SLADE uses for its configurations, so parsing wouldn't be an issue. However there are differences in how both programs handle some of the most basic stuff (e.g., SLADE map configurations are split between game and port) so there would necessarily be some conceptually redundant fields which both programs would have to preserve even if they ignore it.
MaxED

Post by MaxED »

I think instead of creating an unified map settings file (which would require hackery or unified game configurations), much easier thing to do would be just adding an importer from other editor's settings file (does Slade create / plan to create these, by the way?).
MaxED

Post by MaxED »

Gez wrote:...there would necessarily be some conceptually redundant fields which both programs would have to preserve even if they ignore it.
DB2 already does that. You can open a map created in GZDB, save it in DB2 and the new .dbs file will still have all GZDB-only properties.
Gez

Post by Gez »

MaxED wrote:I think instead of creating an unified map settings file (which would require hackery or unified game configurations), much easier thing to do would be just adding an importer from other editor's settings file (does Slade create / plan to create these, by the way?).
There's no equivalent to the dbs files at the moment, but it's planned as a long-term, low-priority feature.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

I just downloaded and compiled the latest version on github, but it won't start saying there's a missing slade.pk3 that I can't find anywhere (even online)! What's going on???

EDIT: Nevermind, found one in the Windows binaries archive, seems to be working so far.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Zip the content of the dist/res folder (directly, "res" itself shouldn't be in the zip) and name that zip slade.pk3.

Alternatively, copy the entire res folder.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

There's no res folder.

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”