SLADE Discussion - Latest: v3.2.5 (19/Dec/2023)

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Gez

Re: SLADE v3.1.1 Beta 2 Released - first post updated

Post by Gez »

I've put a notice on the issue tracker to investigate zip file crashes.
Zand

Re: SLADE v3.1.1 Beta 3 Released - first post updated

Post by Zand »

Feature request;
When tinting having a button to copy to clipboard all of the translations for the tint.
VGA

Post by VGA »

Why are some sprites shown at the top left and others at the center? I am trying to go down one by one to see the "animation".

Also, if I have some sprites selected and then select one of them. The right pane, the preview... it doesn't get updated at all?
Gez

Post by Gez »

Zand wrote:Feature request;
When tinting having a button to copy to clipboard all of the translations for the tint.
Tinting is not a translation...
VGA wrote:Why are some sprites shown at the top left and others at the center? I am trying to go down one by one to see the "animation".
You're in luck, sirjuddington just wrote documentation about how the image panel works, it should address your issue.
Zand wrote:Also, if I have some sprites selected and then select one of them. The right pane, the preview... it doesn't get updated at all?
Yeah that's a different problem. Just click on a different entry and back to your sprite.
Eevee

Post by Eevee »

Given that two people have been confused by the auto offset detection in as many days, perhaps there's a little room for improvement.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Be my guest. :p
Aliotroph?

Post by Aliotroph? »

I wanted to use UDMF's "moreids" field, so I added it as a custom sector property and set it to be a string. It worked great. However, when I click that property for any other sector it shows up as a boolean. Since I didn't know about the custom property button before, I tried this in old versions, and it looks like this has been the case since at least 3.1.0.2.
Eevee

Post by Eevee »

VGA wrote:Why are some sprites shown at the top left and others at the center? I am trying to go down one by one to see the "animation".
I've got a branch with a new heuristic I made up that should hopefully work a lot better.
VGA wrote:Also, if I have some sprites selected and then select one of them. The right pane, the preview... it doesn't get updated at all?
I can't seem to reproduce this; changing the selection always updates the preview pane for me. Am I misunderstanding what you're doing?
Aliotroph? wrote:I wanted to use UDMF's "moreids" field, so I added it as a custom sector property and set it to be a string. It worked great. However, when I click that property for any other sector it shows up as a boolean. Since I didn't know about the custom property button before, I tried this in old versions, and it looks like this has been the case since at least 3.1.0.2.
Ha, I ran into this myself. I think I've fixed it.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Eevee wrote:I can't seem to reproduce this; changing the selection always updates the preview pane for me. Am I misunderstanding what you're doing?
Select several entries, then unselect them until only one remains, and you'll still be with the multiple entry selection even though there's now only one entry selected.
Jaxxoon R

Post by Jaxxoon R »

Feature Request:
Being able to convert PNGs into the NOTCH lumps, as well as fixing the issues involving creating the STARTUP lump where it forgets what kind of format it is. Maybe even have auto color reduction for this.
sirjuddington

Post by sirjuddington »

Gez wrote:
Eevee wrote:I can't seem to reproduce this; changing the selection always updates the preview pane for me. Am I misunderstanding what you're doing?
Select several entries, then unselect them until only one remains, and you'll still be with the multiple entry selection even though there's now only one entry selected.
This is one of those dumb wxWidgets quirks I've never been able to find a good way around, it's because there isn't a simple 'selection changed' event, only 'item selected' and 'item deselected', which of course means you get multiple events when selecting/deselecting multiple items at once. So in windows it only looks at the 'focused item changed' event, which leads to this problem. In linux (wxGTK) I'm just manually handling left click on lists since it was completely broken there.
Aliotroph?

Post by Aliotroph? »

EDIT: Accidentally double posted while trying an edit.
Last edited by Aliotroph? on Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aliotroph?

Post by Aliotroph? »

Half the reason I use SLADE to play with map editing is because it works with large fonts better than GZDB. It almost always works correctly, but this dialog doesn't adjust its width to fit its contents.

NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Aliotroph? wrote:Half the reason I use SLADE to play with map editing is because it works with large fonts better than GZDB.
This is the kind of thing you should bring up in the GZDB thread, isn't it?
Aliotroph?

Post by Aliotroph? »

It is, but it would be a bigger ask. SLADE gets most of its accessibility by default from the design of wxWidgets. It scales to large Windows fonts better than most MS applications do (I can't say how well it works on other platforms). All I have to ask for are changes to things like the sizing of windows so they fit their contents and remember selected sizes. Easy.

DB and GZDB aren't written with libraries that scale the size of all their text with Windows' display settings. It would need a lot of redesign and rewriting to be more accessible to people who use large print. It's a cool idea, but I would bring it up in a general feature request rather than as something that feels like a small bug fix.

Speaking of that, the map editor in SLADE has a "show item" dialog that squashes its cancel button to fit. It's interesting how this behaviour is different from the "new map" dialog.

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”