SLADE Discussion - Latest: v3.2.5 (19/Dec/2023)

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Re: SLADE Discussion - Latest release: v3.1.1.4

Post by drfrag »

Serious problem here: everything after 3.0.2 is broken for me. 3.1.0 releases crash inmediately after loading a png graphic inside a pk3, the graphic is shown, then gets screwed and slade hangs. 3.1.1 releases open pngs properly but after navigating a few of them, memory usage is very high, a message saying that slade crashed appears and the program starts opening windows wildly and hangs, seems like there's a severe memory leak. I'm on windows 7 32 bit and my system has 2 gb of ram.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

The darker themes for SLADE3's text editors look super awesome, but they feel out of place because the rest of the window remains a bright white/light gray. It'd be really nice if the rest of the window could switch to similar colors.
Gez

Post by Gez »

The rest of the window follows your Windows/Mac/Whatever Linux GUI you're using/etc. theme.

You know, that thing (on Windows):

Windows 7
Windows 10
kodi

Post by kodi »

I have two issues:
  • If ACC.exe lies in a folder inside a folder containing gzdoom.exe, it tries to launch the project with gzdoom when I click "compile ACS".
  • The visual TEXTURES editor sometimes crashes extremely fatally, producing an endless avalanche of error windows that probably would crash windows if I didn't kill the process.
Wish I could tell you more about the circumstances in second issue, but I haven't noticed any correlation with anything else.
Edit: yeah, closing down fraps when the textures editor is up seems to immediately cause this.
Last edited by kodi on Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Gez wrote:The rest of the window follows your Windows/Mac/Whatever Linux GUI you're using/etc. theme.

You know, that thing (on Windows):

Windows 7
Windows 10
Not what I meant.

It's only the text editor that gets a color change here. In other programs such as Microsoft Visual Studio, the entire window is this awesome dark color. I'm wondering if the same thing can be applied to SLADE3's GUI...
MaxED

Post by MaxED »

That's because since Visual Studio 2010, the GUI of Visual Studio is created using WPF, which allows per-application theming, among other things. SLADE3's GUI is done using wxWidgets, which doesn't support that.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Ah.

That's too bad...
DoomBrutalGuy

Post by DoomBrutalGuy »

For anyone compiling newest slade on linux systems. Just comment out the line that causes error because the variable in class does not exist or something. It does not exist in linux widgets versions anyway yet so ignore the crap.
Ace83

Post by Ace83 »

Hey everyone,

I'm new around here and new with Slade.

I posted a few questions at Doomworld, but apparently there are not so many building maps with Slade over there (I'm using Mac OS X btw although I'm not sure how much that would matter). So if anyone could take the time with a couple of my questions that would be appreciated.

1. What is the most intuitive way to copy and paste a door? Sometimes when I try there are missing textures, and/or properties. To create a new door from scratch each time shouldn't be the way to go in the long run, right?

2. Removing lines/sectors/things with CMD + X doesn’t work although ”Cut” with this hotkey shows in preferences. Backspace seems to work though, but I find CMD + X more efficient.

3. Is there any way to make the opened tabs in menus to remain open, once opened?

4. Why isn’t the Textures in tabbed content, like it is with Things? So, right now it’s a bit overwhelming to deal with, especially for a beginner. I'm using Doom2.wad.

5. Speaking of texture browsing, the filter does help a bit but it seems only to display textures from the first letter. For instance when I want to display all doors upon browsing, one would guess by simply entering ”door” would display not only ”door1” but also ”bigdoor1”, but the latter doesn’t show. Any suggestions how to make this workflow a bit more intuitive?

6. Rotate sector doesn’t work for me, unless I use the bottom menu by selecting the angle in question, click PREVIEW and then the green sign. (Yes, all of that lol). Is this a bug or what am I missing? I'm thinking this could be handy for instance when I want to copy a door to fit another angle.

7. Deleting a sector = red lines. What does that mean? I’m also apparently not able to remove these.
Gez

Post by Gez »

I can answer some of these.
Ace83 wrote:4. Why isn’t the Textures in tabbed content, like it is with Things? So, right now it’s a bit overwhelming to deal with, especially for a beginner. I'm using Doom2.wad.
The UI takes too much space to fit in an archive manager panel on a small screen. Taking a full tab allows it to occupy the space taken up by the archive entry list.
Ace83 wrote:5. Speaking of texture browsing, the filter does help a bit but it seems only to display textures from the first letter. For instance when I want to display all doors upon browsing, one would guess by simply entering ”door” would display not only ”door1” but also ”bigdoor1”, but the latter doesn’t show. Any suggestions how to make this workflow a bit more intuitive?
The filter uses the wildcards * and ?. Use "*" for "any number of character (including zero)" and "?" for "exactly one character". So if you want every texture with "door1" in the name, you'd use "*door1". Likewise if you want every metal switch textures you can use "sw?met" and that'll give you SW1METAL, SW2METAL, SW1MET2 and SW2MET2.
Ace83 wrote:6. Rotate sector doesn’t work for me, unless I use the bottom menu by selecting the angle in question, click PREVIEW and then the green sign. (Yes, all of that lol). Is this a bug or what am I missing? I'm thinking this could be handy for instance when I want to copy a door to fit another angle.
That's normal. If you want something faster, click and drag the corners of the sector. Rotation can always severely damage the map so you get a preview of the effect so that you can cancel or accept the result.
Ace83 wrote:7. Deleting a sector = red lines. What does that mean? I’m also apparently not able to remove these.
Red lines have no side. Every line needs to have at least a front side to be valid. You can delete them by going into line mode; or you can go into vertex mode and delete their vertices.
Ace83

Post by Ace83 »

Thank you Gez!
Gez wrote:The UI takes too much space to fit in an archive manager panel on a small screen. Taking a full tab allows it to occupy the space taken up by the archive entry list.
Not sure I understand, but I might get a more intelligent mind concerning all this later on. Also, this is not a big issue now because of your solution regarding the filter function.
Ace83 wrote:The filter uses the wildcards * and ?. Use "*" for "any number of character (including zero)" and "?" for "exactly one character". So if you want every texture with "door1" in the name, you'd use "*door1". Likewise if you want every metal switch textures you can use "sw?met" and that'll give you SW1METAL, SW2METAL, SW1MET2 and SW2MET2.
Perfect, thanks!
Ace83 wrote:That's normal. If you want something faster, click and drag the corners of the sector. Rotation can always severely damage the map so you get a preview of the effect so that you can cancel or accept the result.
Nope, the CTRL / CMD hotkey for this doesn't work, nothing happens. And if I just drag the corners without a hotkey it just resizes?

Personally I find it kind of weird that it doesn't preview automatically. If something breaks one could always redo. But yes, the hotkey should make things faster either way.
Ace83 wrote:Red lines have no side. Every line needs to have at least a front side to be valid. You can delete them by cgoing into line mode; or you can go into vertex mode and delete their vertices.
All right, I might have misunderstood what sector was all about then.

I have an additional question that you maybe know the answer of, how do I make a monster friendly? I think GZDB 2 do have a simple checkbox for this, but not Slade?
Gez

Post by Gez »

Ace83 wrote:Not sure I understand, but I might get a more intelligent mind concerning all this later on.
Here's a mockup of what I mean:
Ace83 wrote:Nope, the CTRL / CMD hotkey for this doesn't work, nothing happens.
Might be an OSX-specific interface issue then. It works for me on Windows.
Ace83 wrote:And if I just drag the corners without a hotkey it just resizes?
Yes, that part is normal.
Ace83 wrote:Personally I find it kind of weird that it doesn't preview automatically.
IIRC that's because of wxWidgets isn't very responsive and doesn't always emit an event when the value is changed in a number box. Having the preview button lets you work around that.
Ace83 wrote:All right, I might have misunderstood what sector was all about then.
The hierarchy goes this way: a sector is made of lines that are made of vertices. If you delete a sector, it doesn't automatically delete the lines, if you delete a line it doesn't automatically delete the vertices. On the other hand, if you delete vertices it'll delete lines, and if you delete enough lines it's delete sectors.
Ace83 wrote:I have an additional question that you maybe know the answer of, how do I make a monster friendly? I think GZDB 2 do have a simple checkbox for this, but not Slade?
The checkbox will be there depending on configuration. You'll need Eternity or ZDoom port; or Strife game. In ZDoom and/or Strife it'll be called Ally. In Eternity it'll be called Friendly. (I suppose an MBF port config would make sense as well.)
Ace83

Post by Ace83 »

Thanks again for further clarifications.
Gez wrote:Might be an OSX-specific interface issue then. It works for me on Windows.
I gave it another shot and after som fiddle I finally got it to work. :) I apparently missed the small orange squares in each corner, which displays once CMD is pressed. IMO not very obvious and a bit sketchy (the orange color is the same as selection etc), but once you know it's all fine.
Gez wrote:The checkbox will be there depending on configuration. You'll need Eternity or ZDoom port; or Strife game. In ZDoom and/or Strife it'll be called Ally. In Eternity it'll be called Friendly. (I suppose an MBF port config would make sense as well.)
Upon creating a map I choose ZDoom as port (although I run GZDoom for map testing) and map format is UDMF.
This is how the properties for a monster shows: http://sv.tinypic.com/r/20psc5v/9

As you can see the "Friendly/Ally" option doesn't show?

Maybe I can't see it because clearly there's a bug here, since not all angles are selectable either (I can do this more intuitively in the 2D map editing though).

The window is displaying the same no matter how it's resized.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Okay yes, the ally flag doesn't seem to appear in UDMF. Odd, but easily fixable. In the meantime you can go to the Other Properties tab, click on the blue + button, and add a boolean property named strifeally.

As for the angle chart, it's a Mac-specific UI issue.
Ace83

Post by Ace83 »

Gez wrote:Okay yes, the ally flag doesn't seem to appear in UDMF. Odd, but easily fixable. In the meantime you can go to the Other Properties tab, click on the blue + button, and add a boolean property named strifeally.

As for the angle chart, it's a Mac-specific UI issue.
Cool, that works! Though it seems they don't wake up when I'm in their field of vision, I have to fire first?

I'll report the properties window bug on Github btw.

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”