SLADE v3.1.0 Released - first post updated

Discuss all aspects of editing for ZDoom.
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

SLADE v3.1.0 Released - first post updated

Postby sirjuddington » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:39 am

Straight from the website:

After 3+ years it's finally here - SLADE 3.1.0, with the first iteration of the map editor. A short, probably incomplete overview of the map editor features is below:

Code: Select allExpand view
- Support for Doom, Hexen and UDMF format maps
- 'Split' game configuration system - just select a game and a port, no more long list of 'ZDoom + Doom 2', 'ZDoom + Doom 1' etc. configs
- Syncs up with the resource editor - changed a texture? it'll update in the map editor
- Nice looking, smoothly animated 2d map editor view
-- Textured sectors
-- Filled sector hilight/selection (optional)
-- Multiple thing view styles
- Advanced line drawing feature (default key Space):
-- Can draw lines overlapping or splitting other lines
-- On finishing line draw, sectors are automatically built, no need to play around with sector references
- Shape drawing feature (default key Shift+Space):
-- Same advantages as line drawing, allows for faster drawing of simple shapes, eg. draw a rectangle with 2 clicks instead of 5
-- Currently supports square/rectangle and circle/ellipse shapes, with more simple shapes to come in future versions
- 'Object Edit' feature, similar to DB2's edit mode (default key E)
-- Move and scale by dragging the edit box from the middle or edges
-- Rotate by holding ctrl and dragging the edit box corners
-- A bar will show at the bottom of the window allowing manual entry of offset/scale/rotation values
- 3d editing mode
-- No need to build nodes
-- Allows unlimited view distance (not recommended on old hardware and/or very complex maps)
-- Correct Doom aspect ratio for a more accurate preview of what the map will look like in-game
-- Walls/flats/things can be selected and deselected, allows editing multiple objects at once
-- Shift+click to 'flood-select' similar adjacent walls/flats
- Support for advanced port features:
-- ZDoom UDMF enhancements
--- Sector colouring preview in 2d/3d modes
--- Flat scaling, offsets and rotation preview in 2d/3d modes
-- ZDoom DECORATE thing definitions support
- Categorised texture and thing type browsers
- Script editor with syntax highlighting and autocompletion (ACS only for now)

Of course, the rest of the program has also improved considerably since 3.0.2, with a lot of additions, changes and fixes, outlined below:

General:
- Added ability to open maps with [Doom Builder 2](http://www.doombuilder.com) (if it is installed)
- Keybinds are now configurable in the preferences dialog
- Added colour configuration to preferences dialog
- Removed the maps list from the open archives tab on the archive manager
- Merged the Archives and Recent Files tabs into one
- Implemented a custom toolbar, replacing the ugly wxAUI ones
- Implemented notebook tab art class from CodeLite, now tabs look a fair bit nicer, especially in linux
- Added 'Replace x In Maps' feature
- Improved entry type detection speed
- Console command batches (run all commands contained in a file or entry)
- Implemented basic undo/redo system
- Updated the start page layout, changed to use wxWebView (which uses a proper HTML renderer - IE on Windows and WebKit on Linux/OSX)
- Added toolbar size option - Small (16x16, default), Medium (24x24) and Large (32x32). Mostly for use with High-PPI displays (eg. 'Retina' screens)
- Added a basic 'first time setup' wizard, with pages to set up temp folder, base resource archives and node builders
- Added 'Run Map/Archive' feature
- Directories can be opened as archives
- Various updates and additions to game and language configurations
- Many other improvements and bug fixes

Format Support:
- SWITCHES and ANIMATED entries can be compiled from and decompiled into SWANTBLS syntax
- ROTT's masked pictures with translucency are now supported
- HMI, HMP, and XMI music playback has been implemented
- PC speaker sound playback is now emulated
- Added mp3 and tracker module playback
- Added playback of Wolfenstein digitized sounds (VSWAP)

Resource Editor:
- Modified archives now show a - on their tab title
- Added toolbars to most entry panels, replacing the top bar and 'custom' toolbars added to the main bar
- New maintenance options:
-- Clean out entries that are identical duplicates of an IWAD entry
-- Check for duplicated entry content with a CRC-32 check for each entry
-- Basic 'remove unused textures' and 'remove unused patches' actions
- Entry list improvements:
-- Multiple entry name filters can now be entered (separated by commas) eg: "MAP01, MAP02"
-- Added option to colour entry list item background by entry type
-- Added new 'index' column to entry list
-- Added option to alternate entry list row colours
-- Renamed 'Gfx' entry list context submenu to 'Graphics' - will now only show when multiple entries are selected (to avoid having both 'Gfx' and 'Graphic' submenus showing at once)
- Gfx Entries:
-- Gfx offsets are preserved on import
-- In the gfx conversion dialog, the transparent colour can now be set by left-clicking on the current preview image
-- Added 'Modify Offsets' button to gfx entry panel
-- Added 'Convert to...' to gfx entry panel toolbar
-- Colourise and Tint can be applied to multiple gfx entries
-- Translations can be previewed in truecolor; which is useful if you're using the translation editor to get translation strings for DECORATE/ACS for GZDoom, instead of using it to directly change pictures
- Text Entries:
-- Added some extra colour configuration options and themes for the text editor
-- Added 'Jump To' feature for various text languages
-- Added word wrapping checkbox
- Audio Entries:
-- MIDIs can now be played (in Windows) without specifying a soundfont to use (the system MIDI device will be used instead of Fluidsynth)
-- FluidSynth player can now load several soundfonts at once
-- Show message box if errors occured on audio conversion
- Added basic palette editing functionality
- Added ability to directly generate new PLAYPAL, ANIMATED and SWITCHES entries instead of having to create an empty entry and then import content in it
- Added COLORMAP entry generation
- Hex viewer can now also show grid cells as decimal or ASCII
- Added "Edit Level Script" button to MapEntryPanel and FraggleScript language
- Added things to map preview
- Double-clicking a texture entry opens the texture editor
- Patch/texture browser improvements:
-- Changed the browser to use a proper font for item names
-- Browser background changed to the checkered texture used in most other gfx views (optional)
-- Added 'zoom' slider to the browser window

Texture Editor:
- Added ability to export a texture to a single graphic entry
- Rearranged the layout somewhat so that the UI fits better on smaller screens (for TEXTURES editing in particular)
- Added 'Rename Each' for textures
- Improved TEXTURES support
- When saving textures, only texture entries that have actually been modified are rewritten
- Textures can now be sorted
- If alt is held down when moving a patch with the arrow keys, a duplicate patch will be added and moved
- Support for "UseOffsets" property

With 3.1.0 now finally released, work has begun on the next feature update, 3.1.1. It already features the ability to sort various lists (eg. the entry list) by clicking column headers, some improvements to the audio entry player, and support for more advanced map features.

If needed, there may be minor 3.1.0.x updates, which will be purely bug fixes - any new features will have to wait for 3.1.1. I'd also like to start some preliminary work on the project system, for 3.2.0, at some point soon. This time, though, I should hopefully handle it better, releasing reasonably regular 3.1.x updates while 3.2.0 is in development. I'd rather not go 3 years without a stable release again, especially with so much more that needs to be done...

And so that the following posts make sense, here is the original beta post:
Spoiler:
Last edited by sirjuddington on Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:28 am, edited 20 times in total.
sirjuddington
I need no title.

Re: SLADE3 beta 1 (testing release)

Postby Cutmanmike » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:29 am

SlayeR wrote:What's in:
- Ability to open/edit Wad and Zip/Pk3 archives, using a tabbed interface ala SLumpEd
What's not (yet):
- Map editor

*scratches head* So this is Slade without the level editor, so it's just SLumpEd called Slade? :trippy:
Cutmanmike
Not dead

Postby TheDarkArchon » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:45 pm

Cutmanmike wrote:
SlayeR wrote:What's in:
- Ability to open/edit Wad and Zip/Pk3 archives, using a tabbed interface ala SLumpEd
What's not (yet):
- Map editor

*scratches head* So this is Slade without the level editor, so it's just SLumpEd called Slade? :trippy:

Slade3 is going to be an all-in-one tool, somewhat like DeePSea.
TheDarkArchon
OUT!

Postby phi108 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:23 pm

Thanks SlayeR for all the work! Personally, I have done all map editing with the XWE map editor (therefore, I haven't done serious mapping), so a WAD lump manager with a good mapping tool would be great!

And with the lack of updates of XWE and Slumped, any new lump manager is very good news!
phi108
Magical Error?

Postby Gez » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:35 pm

Suggestion: ANSI screens (ENDOOM, ENDBOOM, LOADING...) viewing/editing through the GPLed PabloDraw code.
Gez

Postby NiGHTMARE » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:52 am

Really glad that entry list filtering/searching is being added, as the lack of this is one of the main things I disliked about SLumpEd. Incidentally, will we also be able to do this when viewing lumps, e.g. the TEXTUREx editor? Oh, and it would also be cool if you could move texture entries up and down the list; I like to keep things tidy, and at the moment I'm having to use DeePSea to do this :).

The other problem I had with SLumpEd was that when you were exporting multiple graphical entries, it would default to .lmp for every single one, rather than remember the format you choose for the previous entry (i.e. .bmp or .png) - extremely annoying if you're trying to export 100 or so entries at once ;).
NiGHTMARE
.now.

Postby Gez » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:17 am

Solution: convert them all to PNG before exporting. :P
Gez

Postby sirjuddington » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:05 pm

NiGHTMARE wrote:Really glad that entry list filtering/searching is being added, as the lack of this is one of the main things I disliked about SLumpEd. Incidentally, will we also be able to do this when viewing lumps, e.g. the TEXTUREx editor? Oh, and it would also be cool if you could move texture entries up and down the list; I like to keep things tidy, and at the moment I'm having to use DeePSea to do this :).

The other problem I had with SLumpEd was that when you were exporting multiple graphical entries, it would default to .lmp for every single one, rather than remember the format you choose for the previous entry (i.e. .bmp or .png) - extremely annoying if you're trying to export 100 or so entries at once ;).

All of that stuff is definitely planned.
sirjuddington
I need no title.

Postby Karnizero » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:25 pm

I use all your tools for anything Doom Related: SLumpEd and Slade 2, so this is one of the best news related.

I think SLumpEd is the best wad editor, and Slade the best map editor. I didn't try DB2, but some features promised by DB2 are already in Slade 2.

Right now, I will be awaiting for Slade 3.

Thanks for your editors, and keep your good work mate :D

P.S: will you give some patches or similar to Slade 2, while not releasing the stable Slade 3? Why you don't keep the okd webpage (http://slade.mancubus.net) updated? I always check out that site, but you announced nothing new, so i though the project was dead.
Karnizero

Postby Karnizero » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:52 pm

I can't run it. It crashes with a "Can't start the application because your system configuration is not correct. Re-installation of the application can solve the problem."

I'm using WindowsXP 32bit with the last actualization and .NET Framework 1, 2 & 3, aswell as my last video drivers (typical Intel Xtreme Graphics on a laptop).

[EDIT]

Problem solved.
I installed DB2, and the Framework that it downloads from internet, plus the SlimX (or whatever it's name), Slade 3 works fine.

I will be give you feedback after I use and test it deeply.

Cya.
Karnizero

Postby NeuralStunner » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:19 pm

This looks nice. :)

I hope you'll look into balancing, meaning close the gaps btween SLumpEd, XWE, and WinTex. In the case of something that can be done a different way in each, why not include all those methods? I like XWE, it's powerful and the UI is comfortable to me. Mostly. It does have it's annoyances, though. I'd love to see every concept joined into one ultimate wad tool.

From another thread, just what's pertinent (and new comments in blue):
NeuralStunner wrote:Another way WinTex beats XWE is the ability to replace a sprite from an image file without resetting the offsets. One of the major reasons I still use it... XWE just assumes every image you load is a walking sprite, and while WinTex does as well when you make a new entry, XWE resets it to those offsets even when replacing an existing image.

This, and other features WinTex has:
- Preset buttons for offsets. (I.E. Walking, flying, weapon, null.)
- Multiple wads opening off the same parent window, allowing you to copy/paste between them. SLumpEd has tabs! Awesome.
- Manually saving the wad. Won't really screw with other programs trying to access the file.
- Undoable wad merging/patching.

XWE:
- Supports more file formats, and raw data import.
- Much easier to rearrange entries.
- Easier to duplicate entries.
- Extensibility of entry types, palettes etc.
- Opens a ton of other game data types.
- Faster wad cleaning.
- Alignment box for weapon sprites, with the status bar and a center line.

SLumpEd seems to share a lot of the better features between the two, like wad saving, lump rearranging, etc. For now, It's not a bad idea to keep all 3. :wink:

Another feature I'd like to see is a way to make your own lump filters, instead of just the stock Sprites, Sounds, Flats, etc.
NeuralStunner
O'Neill with it.

Postby Karnizero » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:01 am

Some feedback after i tested a bit the program. As general comment,i find it very good, although it's a BETA, ALPHA or whatever. Here goes (sorry for the long list):

BUGS or PROBLEMS I found

- When modifying a text lump such as "SCRIPTS", SLADE always asks to save the next current lump i select, until i click
   "revert changes". This only happens with text lumps. This is, if I modify a EDGE DDF Script, i click Save, but then,
            every lump I select, SLade asks me to save the previous Lump I selected.
- When click on "save wad" or "save as", the modified lumps, with blue name letters, remains blue until i move them
   up or down.
- Can't see any image lumps. They doesn't show. I see a white box the size of the image. I dunno if it's .NET Framework, FreeImage or my Graphic Card, but with Slumped, i can see them without problems.
- If i move and close the menu bars, I cannot open them any more. I would dare to say that adding a option in the
   "view menu"   to show/hide the menubars is necessary, since they can be moved and closed.
- In the File Browser into the Archive manager, i can filter files with .wad, .pak, etc... or show all files: *.*
   But when i want to open a file with "File > Open", the "All files (*.*)" filter option is missing.
- If I create a new empty lump either by "Entry > New" or by clicking the appropriate menu button, and i have no previously
   selected a lump (to insert after it), the new lump is not created. I think it should be added at the start or
   at the end of the lumps list, then move to the new lump, and select it to edit, so the user notices that it was
   created and is ready to be edited.

SUGGESTIONS

- Make the maps list in the lower part of the "Archive manager" a bit more tall, or even resizeable, so when we have 30 or more
   maps, the names doesn't appear cut. A vertical ScrollBar can be a solution, even when being less "elegant".
- Default lump types to be "Edit as ...", allowing to set the default to the "lump name" or to the "lump type". This is
   useful for those unknown lump, such as EDGE Engine DDF/RTS scripts, or any other text lump without a defined
   format.
- Recent files open.
- We have in the menu bar the buttons "new entry", "rename entry", "delete entry", "import", "export", "move up" and
   "move down", but I miss the "import from file" button, that is now only on the sub-menu "Entry".
- A more colourful and nice "Start page", with some Doom theme or something. Even a Start page showing the last
   opened WADs, something like in Opera Web Browser. Or maybe some other useful thing.
- When opening a invalid wad/zip/pak/etc file, doesn't show a "invalid wad header" message. I think something like
   "The specified file doesn't seem a WAD/PAK/etc... file" is more descriptive. You can also include a "the real error
   description is: blah blah blah". That maybe is useful as for guru meditation. But those that doesn't know what
   a WAD header is, maybe got confused about what was happened.
- When trying to open an already opened WAD, doesn't show the error message "file is already open". Instead of that, i
   think that opening a tab with such already open file will be better.
- Export as wad, but also as PAK, ZIP and any other format SLADE3 supports.
- A status bar is necessary, so SLADE3 can show messages and other information, such as button tips etc...
- I like the icon set and colours, but i think that a icon with a speaker for sound lumps is more descriptive than that
   spectrum wave icon.

QUESTIONS AND TIPS

- SLumpEd already has syntax highlight (i think with Scintilla). Why don't adopt it? The new Scintilla versions are
   very good, with a lot of configurable parameters, and quite easy to implement and program. But I dunno if it's only
   developed for windows or is platform independant.
Karnizero

Postby dark-slayer-201 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:12 am

Great, only thing i must test...
Will it crash under wine (linux/mac) if anything is copy+pasted into it, like SLumpEd does.

Great.
Thanks for puting your time into this to make it awesome.
I just don't really know what else to say.
Last edited by dark-slayer-201 on Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
dark-slayer-201
AKA Dark-Assassin

Postby Gez » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:13 am

Dunno if Slayer still follows this thread, but here's a bug report:
Slade 3, like Slumped, doesn't make sure something is really what it thinks it is; and as a result still crashes upon seeing something it doesn't handle. For example, attempting to look at sprites from the Doom 64 IWAD (see Kaiser's Doom 64 EX port for the utilities to create it from a Doom 64 ROM) results in an instant, undetected crash to desktop. (By "undetected" I mean the program doesn't show a crash report window.)

I think pretty much everything needs to be sanitized so that if the data doesn't correspond to what's expected, the program can tell a message along the line of "unsupported format or corrupted entry" instead of crashing. (I'm not even asking to support that format, though it would be nice of course. Just not to crash.)
Gez

Postby sirjuddington » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:42 am

Gez wrote:I think pretty much everything needs to be sanitized so that if the data doesn't correspond to what's expected, the program can tell a message along the line of "unsupported format or corrupted entry" instead of crashing. (I'm not even asking to support that format, though it would be nice of course. Just not to crash.)

This is what SLADE3 does. It looks like the doom64 sprites are passing the 'doom gfx' data format test somehow, even though they aren't. I'd need a sample d64 sprite to fix this properly, but for now I've added more checks to the doom gfx loading code to hopefully stop the crashing.

dark-slayer-201, have you tried compiling the linux version? No need to run it via WINE :P

And thank you Karnizero for the feedback, I'll look into all that stuff :)
sirjuddington
I need no title.

Next

Return to Editing