3D models in GZdoom, how-to?

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
9skulls

Re: 3D models in GZdoom, how-to?

Post by 9skulls »

Nash wrote:If you are animating rigged characters (with bones, bipeds or whatever), you're going to have to bake the animation into keyframes first before exporting; otherwise nothing will be exported. If you haven't gotten this far yet and don't understand what I'm talking about, then it's safe to ignore this paragraph. :)
I rigged and animated my object already, now I need to know how to "bake" the biped animation into key frames.. :o
Nash

Post by Nash »

Bake Objects by Lorne Brooks (he worked for 2K Games Australia)

It's a pretty straightforward script and you should be able to figure it out on your own. What it'll do is, it'll create a duplicate of your object with the keyframes baked in. You can even delete your original object (and bones) and your new object would still animate. Obviously it's a destructive process so you may want to back up your original unbaked files.

I've used it in the past to bake physics simulations into keyframes (cloth and wind stuff). It worked pefectly when brought into GZDoom. :)
9skulls

Post by 9skulls »

Nash wrote:Bake Objects by Lorne Brooks (he worked for 2K Games Australia)

It's a pretty straightforward script and you should be able to figure it out on your own. What it'll do is, it'll create a duplicate of your object with the keyframes baked in. You can even delete your original object (and bones) and your new object would still animate. Obviously it's a destructive process so you may want to back up your original unbaked files.

I've used it in the past to bake physics simulations into keyframes (cloth and wind stuff). It worked pefectly when brought into GZDoom. :)
Ooh, thanks alot! I'll test it as soon as I get home :)

| edit | okay so I got the script and managed to install it correctly, BUT.. I got absolutely no idea what to bake and ... how to :S So do I have to select all the bones at once and bake them to the model or what..? :o
9skulls

Post by 9skulls »

Hmm I dunno if I did it quite right but I managed to get it to work somehow.. And now there's a small glitch: when I'm viewing my model in doom, it disappears on certain frames. Why's that? :o I did export the correct range of frames (0-20) so that shouldnt be the problem..?

|edit | AND, is there any way to rotate the object afterwards (like in MODELDEF?) for let's say 90 degrees since it looks like the axis is a bit off, even though in Max it looks perfectly fine?

| edit 2 | Yeah, I managed to get my paperbag dude walking http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISi55SMV1nU :P
cactus

Post by cactus »

haha 9skulls you made me laugh with your paperman walking on head =)
It's a very interesting post I think about learning models from the ground for gzdoom.

I asked to myself watching the video,
can you add some smoothness to the monster turning process?
I bet because gzdoom use frames for models they cannot be smoothly turning,
I cannot remember how, but I thought there was some solution to it.

I would like someone to explain more on this.
thanks in advance.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Doom's movement code limits all actors' angles to only 8... unless that is changed, the models will never rotate smoothly.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Nash wrote:Doom's movement code limits all actors' angles to only 8...
Not true. An actor's angle is internally stored as a 32-bit fixed point number. The smallest angle difference that this allows is about 0.000000083819°, and 1° is represented by a value of 11930465 (rounded up). ZDoom even supports 16 sprite rotations, instead of just 8.

The lack of smooth rotation is absolutely unconnected to limitations, it simply has to do with the AI which makes the actors instantly face their new direction.
cactus

Post by cactus »

Ha okay interesting, so I was far from truth regarding turning.
thanks for explaining so deeply the thing.

However again about turning smoothly I found some risen 3D model video showing smooth turning:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dNkfCJ96PA
here at 3:06 min you can see some pinky walking around smoothly.
I think this video is where my mistake regarding gzdoom came from thinking there was some solution to it.
We can see something interesting other ennemies in this video don't seem to be able to turn smoothly
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Hmm, it may be worth feature-suggesting to Graf to have some sort of model rotation interpolation, though whether or not it's ever done is up to him. I'd like to see it, personally, but I'm happy as it is with animation interpolation now. :)
cactus

Post by cactus »

yes,not having this probably will bring down enthousiam on modders-wanting-full-3D-mod.

Would be nice to have some base tutorial from the ground up about how to build model in gzdoom/ST/etc too,
I think I have some player model exemple available to play with, to test.

I saw Nash was on something like this
(since I read him answering to everyone about 3D model problems I think he is someone who can explain it easily),
but I don't know if there is something available or not.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Yeah I planned on doing a gmax for GZDoom modeling tutorial. I don't know if I'll ever find the time to do it anytime soon though... been super busy. :/

Return to “Editing (Archive)”