The "How do I..." Thread

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: The "How do I..." Thread

Post by Matt »

Any thing placedthat appears on a map may be given any (custom)inventory item.
Zombieguy

Post by Zombieguy »

Okay, well.... How?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

[wiki]GiveActorInventory[/wiki]
Zombieguy

Post by Zombieguy »

Of course, ACS. T_______T
FDARI

Post by FDARI »

Decorate ([wiki]A_GiveInventory[/wiki]) too? Giving inventory by TID is easier in ACS, giving inventory on startup is easier in ACS. Having an actor add inventory to itself or Target/Master/Tracer in a given state is easier using decorate (because you're already writing decorate when defining that state).
Zombieguy

Post by Zombieguy »

FDARI wrote:Decorate ([wiki]A_GiveInventory[/wiki]) too?
So, you mean you can give a monster an inventory item with the A_GiveInventory code pointer using DECORATE?
Last edited by Zombieguy on Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

You can give anything defined in decorate an inventory item, you could even give an inventory item an inventory item.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

zrrion the insect wrote:You can give anything defined in decorate an inventory item, you could even give an inventory item an inventory item.
Inventory-ception?
I'm sorry, I couldn't resist.
insightguy

Post by insightguy »

Zombieguy wrote:
insightguy wrote:how do I change an actor's (monster's) height?
You must define a value for both "height", and "radius", between the brackets just before the state indicator.

Example:

Code: Select all

Actor My_Stoopid_Actor : DoomImp Replaces DoomImp
{
Height 56
Radius 20
States
{
Spawn:
    DUMB AB 10 A_Look
    Loop
    }
}
thanks, but I mean how do I change it on the spot when there already spawned

and also, is there an way to give monster inventory items so i can play around the decorate?
Last edited by insightguy on Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

insightguy wrote: thanks, but I mean how do I change it on the spot when there already spawned
I don't think that's possible. Though, if you want to shorten them, you can have them consists of two actors, one for top and one for bottom, and have the top one dissapear (the bottom has to change sprites of course). Similar idea for lengthening.
insightguy wrote:
and also, is there an way to give monster inventory items so i can play around the decorate?
Yes. I'm pretty sure it's [wiki]A_GiveInventory[/wiki]
Flynn Taggart

Post by Flynn Taggart »

How do I change the color of the flash when you pick up items and the flash when you get hurt. For example, Item pickups will make your hud flash blue instead of yellow or being shot makes your hud flash pink.
Last edited by Flynn Taggart on Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Zombieguy wrote:So, you mean a you can give a monster an inventory item with the A_GiveInventory code pointer using DECORATE?
What boggles me right now is why you're asking this rather than just trying it out.

Seriously, make a custominventory item that calls A_Explode on pickup, have a thing A_GiveInventory that to itself, watch it explode (or at least leap up into the air while damaging everything around it).

And yes, this can be done to inventory items, but only ones that are spawned ingame - I really don't think each unit of your "Clip" supply can itself have a supply of "Clip" of its own.

@Insightguy: Would some manner of [wiki]A_SpawnItemEx[/wiki] followed by a stop call be workable? On a player I think you're stuck with crouch and morph.

EDIT:
Flynn Taggart wrote:How do I change the color of the flash when you pick up items and the flash when you get hurt. For example, Item pickups will make your hud flash blue instead of yellow or being shot makes your hud flash pink.
For pain there's player.damagescreencolor but I haven't the slightest clue about changing pickup flash.

EDIT2: How on earth does player.gruntspeed work? No matter what I set the number to the result is exactly the same.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Vaecrius wrote:
Flynn Taggart wrote:How do I change the color of the flash when you pick up items and the flash when you get hurt. For example, Item pickups will make your hud flash blue instead of yellow or being shot makes your hud flash pink.
For pain there's player.damagescreencolor but I haven't the slightest clue about changing pickup flash.
It can be changed "globally" by using [wiki=GameInfo_definition]pickupcolor[/wiki] mapinfo property.
FireHusky

Post by FireHusky »

How do I replace a monster that already exists in the game with a completely different, modded monster? Randomspawner actor won't even work for me too. I don't want a base like
actor blah : painelemental replaces painelemental
{
stuff
}
If I do, it completely messes my actor up.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Post your code and describe precisely how it "messes up" - I can't even help with how little information is here.

Return to “Editing (Archive)”