zokoban - sokoban in zdoom

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
bagheadspidey

zokoban - sokoban in zdoom

Post by bagheadspidey »

Here's my contribution to the puzzle map craze... over 80 levels of classic sokoban in zdoom.

zokoban.pk3

It's fully playable but lacks polish. If people actually enjoy the gameplay I'll probably look into giving the levels a bit more variety, adding some new textures, music, skyboxes, etc, etc.

If you can think of a way to work enemies in here that wouldn't totally distract the player from doing the sokoban thing, or if you have any other ideas, let me know.
Nash

Re: zokoban - sokoban in zdoom

Post by Nash »

Good conversion, unfortunately the first person view kills it for me. I ended up solving the first map using my automap and am_cheat 3.

(Not that I'm a fan of puzzle games anyway)
Gez

Post by Gez »

I'd suggest making the level take place in a large arena, with instead of walls raised platforms that block the player and the rocks of course, but not sight. It's a bit frustrating having to lose twice or thrice just so as to see the shape of the level.

Also, I'd replace the rocks with barrels or something round like that, it'd look better. Of course, that'd require shrinking the proportions of the corridors a bit.

Finally, since I don't think enemies are needed, a weaponless player class. :P
Isle

Post by Isle »

a hud map like in my sweeper one wouldn't hurt. if you need help with that just let me know.
carlcyber

Post by carlcyber »

After played some levels, I don't think it needs more game details to bother you since it achieves its goal.

As Nash said, I always use map cheat that shows all the objects in the map to get a full understanding of the level at start. A quick solution can be using an image with some degree of transparency as the background image in map mode to simulate HUD map. Also, you can add boulder moves or even player moves to encourage the player to find the most efficient way solving the problem.

Nice work! There are many awesome puzzle games here recently. :thumb:
bagheadspidey

Post by bagheadspidey »

Good to see an interest in this thing.
a hud map like in my sweeper one wouldn't hurt. if you need help with that just let me know.
I'd suggest making the level take place in a large arena, with instead of walls raised platforms that block the player and the rocks of course, but not sight.
I'm torn between these two suggestions. I'd like to do a hud map just because I think it would be fun to put together, but I'm afraid people will just look at that and ignore the rest of the screen... I know I probably would =/

The coolest thing about this to me is the way it can generate maps from a simple ascii drawing. I'm trying to think of other interesting applications for this other than sokoban. Here's a sample of what the maps are generated from:
Spoiler:
If anyone has some clever applications for maps generated like this I'm all ears ;)
Gez

Post by Gez »

By the way, you should update your script so that it writes floats, not ints, for vertice and things X and Y coordinates. (Just a question of appending .0...)

As for other applications of such a script... Boulder Zash? ZacMan? :P
bagheadspidey

Post by bagheadspidey »

Gez wrote:By the way, you should update your script so that it writes floats, not ints, for vertice and things X and Y coordinates. (Just a question of appending .0...)
Are you sure it's necessary? I imagine it's going to be converted using something like atof, so it should work ok in most implementations...

The types defined in the udmf spec seem a little incomplete to me... where's bool? I saw the note but where's the type definition like bool := ^(true|false)$. And why does float require a dot but not require any digits after it? 1 is not valid but 1. is? Weird. Also I didn't see anywhere whether implementations should use those regexes to ensure the data is of the right type before attempting to convert it, so I assume they're just there as a suggestion or something?
Gez wrote:As for other applications of such a script... Boulder Zash? ZacMan? :P
Boulder Dash definitely came to mind as I was working on this, but I have no idea how the weird gravity could be handed (rocks fall south?). ZacMan just gave me a crazy idea though.
Ceeb

Post by Ceeb »

Dumb thing, but this won't run in GZDoom. I'm using 1.2.01, and it locks up when I start a new game.
edward850

Post by edward850 »

Have you tried using the SVN? I'm guessing you haven't.
Gez

Post by Gez »

bagheadspidey wrote:Are you sure it's necessary? I imagine it's going to be converted using something like atof, so it should work ok in most implementations...
Well, it's not strictly necessary but DB2 couldn't open the maps. (See the DB2 thread.) Though CodeImp already added an implicit conversion in the SVN now.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Are you generating UDMF maps from text files and scripting? OMG I HAVE AN IDEA!

... randomly generated dungeons for a Nethack-ish mod!
bagheadspidey

Post by bagheadspidey »

Nash wrote:Are you generating UDMF maps from text files and scripting? OMG I HAVE AN IDEA!

Heheh, those text files look pretty familiar huh? I would love to do that eventually, but I'd need to come up with a ton of spells and scrolls and potions, and we'd probably need some pickup sprites for different types of armor. AEOD has a ton of staffs / wands, maybe we could use them. That inventory system you're working on might be really useful too if you want to contribute that. We'd probably want a shopkeeper script at some point too (doing it the nethack way would be really cool I think).

Any idea what the maximum number of maps for a single mod is? I'd want to generate a bunch of them for a random pool, and maybe include a program or put a script on the web to generate new ones.
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Project Shadowcat »

bagheadspidey wrote:
Nash wrote:Are you generating UDMF maps from text files and scripting? OMG I HAVE AN IDEA!

Heheh, those text files look pretty familiar huh? I would love to do that eventually, but I'd need to come up with a ton of spells and scrolls and potions, and we'd probably need some pickup sprites for different types of armor. AEOD has a ton of staffs / wands, maybe we could use them. That inventory system you're working on might be really useful too if you want to contribute that.

Any idea what the maximum number of maps for a single mod is? I'd want to generate a bunch of them for a random pool, and maybe include a program or put a script on the web to generate new ones.
I don't think there even is a limit. Cheat codes only allow 99, but other than that I think you're limited just based on how many lumps are in the WAD.

The same AEoD discovered that the lump limit is 32767.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Return to “Editing (Archive)”