Batch palette conversion (question in bold)

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
phi108

Batch palette conversion (question in bold)

Post by phi108 »

Who here has looked at palettes, and thought "yuck, Doom's palette is horrible, while Heretic/Hexen/Strife's palette is nice and smooth. Like a big stick of butter. I want to play doom with that type of palette!"

I've thought the same thing, and I tried one edited doom palette (http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f= ... =a#p194805), but still it's not life-changingly better.

There is a way, though, to play doom with the palette and colormap from other games: extract every patch, sprite, gfx, and flat and convert it to the new palette. This can result in some pretty bad looking images, but with something like the dithering in irfanview's palette import option, it looks acceptable.

So does anyone know of a way to convert a load of lumps exported from XWE (as bmp or whatever) to a new palette, as a batch conversion or something? Irfanview's batch conversion tool doesn't have the "import palette" function that you can use on one image.

*lazy demanding starts* Or if anyone is so inclined, I wonder if a simple program could be written to change the pallete of an IWAD/PWAD, along with every image in the wad.
Enjay

Re: Batch palette conversion (question in bold)

Post by Enjay »

Deepsea does it. You don't even have to take the sprites out of the WAD to do it.

Let's take Doom to Heretic as an example. You export the Doom sprites specifying that you want them kept inside a WAD, switch to the Heretic project, load the WAD, go to the DeePsea graphics editor and tell it to remap the sprites to the current game palette then save the WAD. It'll do a large number of sprites in a few seconds.

DeePsea finds the best match in the Heretic palette for the appropriate Doom index and, because the sprites were never converted to any other format at any time, offsets are preserved so you don't have to mess around setting them up again.

[edit]By way of a check, I just converted the Doom imp sprites to Heretic. All sprites in the Heretic palette, including the fireball - just over 2 minutes 30 seconds from first firing up DeePsea to playing with it in Zdoom. [/edit]
phi108

Post by phi108 »

Thanks very much! I've never used deepsea, so I hope it works on vista. Time to find my way around yet another doom editor :twisted:
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

If it installs in Vista (I don't know if it does) and you need a step-by-step on how to do the conversion, let me know. DeePsea is shareware and has some features that are limited (eg the size of maps you can save) but all the lump management features, including this ability with sprites, are fully featured in the SW version so there should be no problem.

Return to “Editing (Archive)”