Polyobjects that you can walk over

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
GooberMan

Re: Polyobjects that you can walk over

Post by GooberMan »

...have you actually tried the WAD I linked? That's the best you're going to get.
Hindsight2020

Post by Hindsight2020 »

...have you actually tried the WAD I linked? That's the best you're going to get.
I did. It was a great setup and I learned a valuable new technique that I will certainly use. I've already thought of several instances. It's just that it doesn't accomplish my goal of making the explicit line PolyObj look complete from the top. I don't need to be able to walk on it, I just don't want it to look hollow. I actually used a hybrid of Knappes and your ideas and placed several linedefs inside the door and textured them, front and back, all black so it just looks solid.

But thanks for the help. Anything new is always appreciated!
Jaxxoon R

Post by Jaxxoon R »

Well lucky you, here's an insane rambling of mine crossposted from Dooworld where I come up with a brilliant solution:
I've just got a great idea, Morty. Y'know how polyobjects are all infinite-height unless you use Zdoom, in which case you have the capability to give them fixed-height collision/graphics but they're all see through in the top?

Well, what if some genius made a 3d model of a door that was the exact same size as the polyobject, applied it to a pass-through actor, made the polyobject invisible, and have them on a script that made the 3D model animate as the polyobject moved?

Then you'd have a detailed model going about with the polyobject serving as collision, that's what you'd have. It'd be great, Morty.
GooberMan

Post by GooberMan »

...I did exactly this for ReX recently using my example WAD as a base. I plan on uploading a new example when I'm actually in the country my computer resides in.
Hindsight2020

Post by Hindsight2020 »

Please do! That sounds promising.
ReX

Post by ReX »

Jaxxoon R wrote:Well, what if some genius made a 3d model of a door that was the exact same size as the polyobject, applied it to a pass-through actor, made the polyobject invisible, and have them on a script that made the 3D model animate as the polyobject moved?

Then you'd have a detailed model going about with the polyobject serving as collision, that's what you'd have. It'd be great, Morty.
GooberMan wrote:...I did exactly this for ReX recently using my example WAD as a base
Indeed, the method described by Jaxxoon provides an elegant solution to the problem of the "thin & hollow" polyobject. Ethan (aka Gooberman) set up a very cool method of "linking" a model to a polyobject, and allowing actors to step on AND ACTUALLY RIDE UPON. This provides a very realistic in-game object that provides physics behavior not otherwise easily implemented in DooM.
Last edited by ReX on Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jaxxoon R

Post by Jaxxoon R »

Something I recently found out is that Sonic Robo Blast 2 has the ability to render flats on polyobjects, essentially making them fully complete shapes with no gaps or holes. It'd be interesting to see if the code could be repurposed for Zdoom in some way.
GooberMan

Post by GooberMan »

It should range from trivial for GZDoom to somewhat involved for ZDoom. There should already be valid ssegs that can be used from the polyobject control sector. It then becomes a case of translating them across correctly. And making sure the correct flat is applied for 3D floors etc.

Return to “Editing (Archive)”