[GZDOOM] Advanced dynamic light manipulation

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
Virgil

Re: [GZDOOM] Advanced dynamic light manipulation

Post by Virgil »

Project Dark Fox wrote:
Virgil wrote:I mean, if I have 50-100 sectors in, say, a 128*128 grid (yes, that will probably happen sooner or later, and more than once), then I can't even begin to imagine what it would take (if at all possible) to add advanced, irregular-shaped and smooth sector-based lighting to that. And by that I mean at least 32 different light levels, all aligned properly, including, transfer light tricks and illuminating only a certain portion of the walls.
Please don't do that, players like me really don't care for gawdy details. Textures can fake the same work and do just as well for those who are simply going for the gameplay. It also immensely helps in performance.
You misunderstand. I would never do that without a good reason. The 50-100 sectors would not all be at the same height and on the same floor and not all visible at the same time. We are talking about GZDOOM with 3d floors here. Imagine a 10-20 story structure and imagine that every floor has different details/textures. Now, imagine that some of those 3d floors have holes in them (or are translucent) and are supposed to let light shine through. That is just one example.
Penguinator

Re: [GZDOOM] Advanced dynamic light manipulation

Post by Penguinator »

On top of that, I imagine you can just turn off dynamic lights to eliminate lag without much effect on gameplay. I'm looking forward to seeing your work, Virgil.

Return to “Editing (Archive)”