How Do I Edit Monsters And Weapons?

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
noy0003

Re: How Do I Edit Monsters And Weapons?

Post by noy0003 »

When, and if I can work out all of the things I want to do, I will create my own .wad. And when, and if I can upload my .wad to a website, I will give you all the link for the Alpha/Beta version. It will be 1 level, level 30. When I make it, I hope you enjoy it. I know I will.

Also, how do I expand the size of monsters? And how do I expand monsters without the quality getting worse?

P.S. It's hard to do the stuff you tell me to do, because my Doom's and ZDoom ect., is on the computer at school, and this website won't work there, and this isn't my computer (and it's pretty crap, and slow), and I'm not allowed to put Doom on it... at the moment. but next year (2008) that will be different, I'll be getting my own Laptop.
abro

Post by abro »

Unknown_Assassin wrote:Use XWE or SLumpED to import graphics. Make sure you import the graphics between S_START and S_END.
heh, turns out I already had XWE on here. I had used it before to make a megawad of the master levels. Thanks for pointin me in the right direction though, the project was a success 8) (except for Iron Lich's and Cacodemons not co-existing)
Medricel

Post by Medricel »

abro wrote:(except for Iron Lich's and Cacodemons not co-existing)
Change the Iron Lich's sprite name from HEAD to LICH, and then it should work.
ZDoom Wiki wrote:[wiki=Sprite#Conflicting_Sprite_Names]Sprites: Conflicting Sprite Names[/wiki]
"ZDoom currently supports Doom(2), Heretic, Hexen, and Strife. Enemies or items from any supported game can be brought into any other supported game. However, this brings to light the fact that some sprites have the same name in one game as another sprite in another game. For example, the Doom Cacodemon uses sprites named HEAD*, whereas the Heretic Iron Lich uses the same name. To avoid conflicts and allow all sprites to coexist peacefully, a change was made to ZDoom which changes the name of the sprite ZDoom will look for, so long as it's looking at a PWAD. (That way the original IWADs will still work unchanged)"
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

That quote isn't strictly correct - although I'm not quite sure exactly how to reword a correction. Years ago I built an IWAD for Doom mode, and used DEHACKED to rget clashing Doom actors to use different sprites so that I could include Heretic and Hexen sprites in my IWAD (it was in the very early days of being able to tranfer actors between games). More recently, I tried to remove the need for DEHACKED from the WAD by converting to DECORATE. Along the way, I discovered that it was possible to put Heretic and Hexen sprites into a Doom IWAD using the Zdoom renames for the sprites and they work perfectly. So it isn't just a PWAD thing.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

noy0003 wrote:Also, how do I expand the size of monsters? And how do I expand monsters without the quality getting worse?
Use the scale property to scale the sprite (1=full size; 0.5=half size; etc.). If you want to affect how big it is for collision purposes, use height and radius. How big a thing looks and how big it actually is aren't connected so you could make something as easy or as difficult a target as you want without making it look any different.

As for scaling the sprite without losing quality... that would require new sprites, since there just isn't any information for detail on the normal Doom ones. I've heard of an effort somewhere to create new high-res versions of the old sprites, but last I looked the results were less than optimal.
noy0003 wrote:P.S. It's hard to do the stuff you tell me to do, because my Doom's and ZDoom ect., is on the computer at school, and this website won't work there, and this isn't my computer (and it's pretty crap, and slow), and I'm not allowed to put Doom on it... at the moment. but next year (2008) that will be different, I'll be getting my own Laptop.
That explains a lot about this thread.

Try copypasting what you need into a word processor and either printing it out or e-mailing it to your own Hotmail or whatever address. (And if you can't do that either, complain to your school's IT guys because there are legitimate reasons to do such things.)
noy0003

Post by noy0003 »

Vaecrius wrote:If you want to affect how big it is for collision purposes, use height and radius. How big a thing looks and how big it actually is aren't connected so you could make something as easy or as difficult a target as you want without making it look any different.
Yeah, I know that.
noy0003

Post by noy0003 »

Vaecrius wrote:
noy0003 wrote:Also, how do I expand the size of monsters?
Use the scale property to scale the sprite (1=full size; 0.5=half size; etc.).
What is that? And where do I get it?
Vaecrius wrote:
noy0003 wrote:How do I expand the monsters without losing quality?
That would require new sprites, since there just isn't any information for detail on the normal Doom ones. I've heard of an effort somewhere to create new high-res versions of the old sprites, but last I looked the results were less than optimal.
What do you mean by 'less than optimal'?
Last edited by noy0003 on Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

"less than optimal" = polite euphemism for "suck"

And again, when replying to something, at least take the time to edit the quote so you're only quoting what is necessary for the reader to know what you're replying to.

EDIT: Much better!
Last edited by Matt on Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

Vaecrius wrote:And again, when replying to something, at least take the time to edit the quote so you're only quoting what is necessary for the reader to know what you're replying to.
Indeed. The problem is actually worse than it first appears, because what he meant to put was this:
noy0003 meant to wrote:
noy0003 wrote:Also, how do I expand the size of monsters?
Vaecrius wrote:Use the scale property to scale the sprite (1=full size; 0.5=half size; etc.).
What is that? And where do I get it?
noy0003 wrote:How do I expand the monsters without losing quality?
Vaecrius wrote:That would require new sprites, since there just isn't any information for detail on the normal Doom ones. I've heard of an effort somewhere to create new high-res versions of the old sprites, but last I looked the results were less than optimal.
What do you mean by 'less than optimal'?
Ha ha.... Meant to wrote.... Classic.
noy0003

Post by noy0003 »

Vaecrius wrote: And again, when replying to something, at least take the time to edit the quote so you're only quoting what is necessary for the reader to know what you're replying to.

Yeah, I fixed that up, sorry.
Last edited by noy0003 on Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2005 FY9

Post by 2005 FY9 »

Whacked (Dehacked for Windows). If you have trouble making your game recognize the modifications, import the dehack file from another wad (eg: Death Tormention 3), and add your hacks there. Same can be done for Map Info, etc...

I hope this helps.

I myself would like to know how to design decorates. Now of days, you can add a lot of the Doom 2 enemies to Doom 1, which is kinda k00l.
noy0003

Post by noy0003 »

2005 FY9 wrote: You can add a lot of the Doom 2 enemies to Doom 1, which is kinda k00l.

I thought all of the monsters in Doom 2 (except for bossbrain, and Nazi's) where in Doom 1?
Unknown_Assassin

Post by Unknown_Assassin »

noy0003 wrote:I thought all of the monsters in Doom 2 (except for bossbrain, and Nazi's) where in Doom 1?
You thought wrong. You must have not played Doom 1 enough to know that Doom 1 didn't have:

Chaingunguy
Pain Elemental
Revenant
Hellknight
Fatso (Mancubus)
Arachnotron
Archvile
Commander Keen (don't forget him, too, even though he doesn't have an attack)
noy0003

Post by noy0003 »

Unknown_Assassin wrote:
noy0003 wrote:I thought all of the monsters in Doom 2 (except for bossbrain, and Nazi's) where in Doom 1?
You thought wrong. You must have not played Doom 1 enough to know that Doom 1 didn't have:

Chaingunguy
Pain Elemental
Revenant
Hellknight
Fatso (Mancubus)
Arachnotron
Archvile
Commander Keen (don't forget him, too, even though he doesn't have an attack)

Yeah, I forgot about Commander Keen. Did you know: Commander Keen is an eight year old boy? And to the other monsters not in Doom 1, it's probobly because I don't take much notice.
Unknown_Assassin

Post by Unknown_Assassin »

noy0003 wrote:Did you know: Commander Keen is an eight year old boy?
Yes.

Return to “Editing (Archive)”