How Do I Edit Monsters And Weapons?

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
Unknown_Assassin

Re: How Do I Edit Monsters And Weapons?

Post by Unknown_Assassin »

@noy0003: There is an edit button, you know. If you want to learn DECORATE, reading Hotwax's post is a good way to have an understanding of it.
noy0003 wrote:No. I am new to this ZDoom website. The only reason I went on it earlier is to download ZDoom. Now I need help with stuff. Also, I don't know where to look in the Wiki. And I don't know where the main page to the Wiki is.
There is a search function. I actually type in attacks, and I got a bunch of info on different attacks.
CaptainToenail

Post by CaptainToenail »

Sounds like laziness to me, either he's winding you up or he wants you to do it all for him :lol:
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Project Shadowcat »

CaptainToenail wrote:Sounds like laziness to me, either he's winding you up or he wants you to do it all for him :lol:
We've gone through this enough. Don't think the constant bashing is necessary; it's a good way to drive people out too soon.
... Not that I'm defending him.
noy0003

Post by noy0003 »

hnsolo77 wrote:
noy0003 wrote:
Enjay wrote: Have you tried reading around in the Wiki? Have you tried searching the Wiki? All the information that you have been asking for is in there. People typed it up for you, me and anyone else who wants it. All that is required is that you spend a little time looking for it and read it yourself.

Personally, I'll hapilly help anyone who needs it (if I can) but I need to see them match any effort I put in. After receiving such a massive input from HotWax, IMO, you should be well on the way to doing your own stuff and only coming back with little things like "I've been reading about such-and-such code pointer in the Wiki and I can't figure out how to set up the third argument for it" not "how do I change a monster's attack, give me the code". Most of your posts are reading like "I've got some really cool stuff that I want to do... can you do it for me". :(
No. I am new to this ZDoom website. The only reason I went on it earlier is to download ZDoom. Now I need help with stuff. Also, I don't know where to look in the Wiki. And I don't know where the main page to the Wiki is.
please, look at this picture and make sense of that in any page of the wiki
Spoiler:
i apologize for being an asshat but someone had to do it
OK, that picture was funny, to be honest. I actually can't remember how I found ZDoom.org. 5 minutes later, after picking up after my 2 and a half year old brother Oh I remember now, I was looking to download Doom (used google), found http://www.download.com, downloaded Doom demo, and ZDoom. Went to download the latest version of ZDoom, and found ZDoom.

By the way, what version of windows is that?
noy0003

Post by noy0003 »

Enjay wrote:There is no quick solution. You were lucky, you got a very full answer, that must have taken quite some time to type, from a guy who really knows his stuff and... you chose not to read it because it was too long. :roll: It would take less time to read it than it took to type. That was some guy who you have never even met giving up his time and doing you the courtesy of giving you a very full answer and you didn't even have the manners to read it. With that attitude, why should anyone help you?

You need to read some stuff yourself, read the info that HW typed, look at some existing actors, search for the Doom actors in the Wiki, pull apart other people's files and see what they did. Once you've made a start with learning the basics (and you have had plenty of information to allow you to do that) you will start finding the areas that are causing you difficulty. then you can come back and say "how does X work" or "why isn't this monster doing what I want".
I read basically all of HowWax's post. Most of it went in one eye and out the other (instead of in one ear and out the other).
Enjay wrote: You can't just be updated with a "how to do decorate" add-on to your brain like learning kung-fu in the Matrix.
LOL :D :cheers: !!!!!
noy0003

Post by noy0003 »

Vaecrius wrote:
So let's just go back a bit, and figure out where your starting point is:
  • What do you already know about how things work in Doom, in general?
  • What do you want to do specifically when you want to edit monsters and weapons?
Well, today, on monsters, I learned how to change the strength, speed, sounds from other monsters (but don't care about that), size in where you can hurt them (not physical size), and the messages on what it says when they kill you.

On weapons, I learned how to change the messages of the pickup, and kill, and how much ammo it gives you when you pick it up.

On ammo, I learned how to change the messages of the pickup, and how much it gives you.

I tried to change the maximum amount of ammo you can get, but it didn't work. Why?

I still want to learn how to change the amount of damage the weapons and monsters do. :oops:
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

noy0003 wrote:Well, today, on monsters, I learned how to change the strength, speed, sounds from other monsters (but don't care about that), size in where you can hurt them (not physical size), and the messages on what it says when they kill you.

On weapons, I learned how to change the messages of the pickup, and kill, and how much ammo it gives you when you pick it up.

On ammo, I learned how to change the messages of the pickup, and how much it gives you.

I tried to change the maximum amount of ammo you can get, but it didn't work. Why?

I still want to learn how to change the amount of damage the weapons and monsters do. :oops:
Alright, so you've already dealt with [wiki]actor properties[/wiki] so that's good.

I just realized why you have trouble changing monster damage. You can change the damage property on a projectile and that'll do the trick, but for melee attacks and hitscans you'll have to change the monsters' attack states. (To ease up on the tl;dr I'm not going to explain weapons and ammo until you're familiar with how to do this for monsters.)

So to edit a monster's attack state so it does different damage:

First, take a look at this [wiki="Classes:DoomImp"]imp definition[/wiki]. (I'll assume you're replacing the imp, so change this as necessary).

Go down to where it says "states" followed by an opening curly brace. Copy everything from "states" down to the second-last curly brace in the definition.

Now go to your edited imp, and paste all that stuff into your definition. After this, delete all the stuff inside the new pair of curly braces except for the lines "Melee:" through the very next "goto See".

You are now left with only definitions for melee and missile states. (When ZDoom reads the melee state, it finds nothing so it just falls through into the missile state.) In it there is a call for the function "[wiki]A_TroopAttack[/wiki]", which does the basic attack for the imp. Since we want to do a different amount of damage, we don't want this.

So replace "A_TroopAttack" with [wiki]A_BasicAttack[/wiki]. Follow that with, enclosed in parentheses, the parameters you see on the page. For example, this is what A_BasicAttack would look like if it perfectly replicated A_TroopAttack:

Code: Select all

TROO G 6 A_BasicAttack (3, "imp/melee", "DoomImpBall", 32)
Another example, let's say if I wanted a puny baby scratch but a revenant missile:

TROO G 6 A_BasicAttack (1, "imp/melee", "RevenantTracer", 32)
Note, of course, that the name of the missile can also be set as the name of your custom missile.

Plug in whatever values you want, save the DECORATE file, and run it again. You should now be facing imps that do the new damage.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

A lot of the hitscan (bullet) attacks have parameters for you to set the damage. These attack code pointers will be fund within the body of the actor definitions (in the states section) For example

http://zdoom.org/wiki/A_CustomBulletAttack

A_CustomBulletAttack (int spreadangle_horz, int spreadangle_vert, int numbullets, int damageperbullet, string pufftype [, float range])

For example

A_CustomBulletAttack (10, 5, 20, 8, "BulletPuff", 4096)

Will fire 20 hitscan bullets which can spread by 10 degrees horizontally, 5 vertically and each has a damage of 8. When they hit, they will generate the BulletPuff actor but they won't hit anything beyond 4096 units.
Ryan Cordell
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Ryan Cordell »

I think he might have to keep Doom's standard damage formula in mind when using the damageperbullet interger.
Unless specifying a custom formula's already possible. >_>
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Good point. The damage number is not the actual damage done, but rather a number that is slotted into a formula for calculating damage. I can't find what that formula is ATM. Anyone able to point to it?

And I *think* custom calculations are in.
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

Screw slumped, thats garbage, try xwe. once you have that, run the exe and in the file options at the toolbar on the top, push "new wad", or new file, i forget which it is, then you now have a wad. it has a built in text editor and a line counter (it comes in handy, trust me) so you can find your errors easier.

now, for decorate: jsut make a new file called decorate and it will be recognized as the decorate lump, or the file in the wad with the editing info.
a example of a shotgun would be...

ACTOR Doom3Shotgun : Shotgun 20024
{
Weapon.SelectionOrder 350
Inventory.PickupSound "misc/d3pickup"
Weapon.AmmoGive 8
Weapon.AmmoUse 1
AttackSound "weapons/d3shtgnf"
States
{ Spawn:
D3SH A -1
LOOP
Ready:
D3SG A 1 A_WeaponReady
LOOP
Deselect:
D3SG A 1 A_Lower
LOOP
Select:
D3SG A 1 A_Raise
LOOP
Fire:
D3SG A 0 A_JumpIfNoAmmo(1)
D3SG A 6 A_GunFlash
D3SG B 4
D3SG C 4
D3SG D 34
D3SG E 2
D3SG F 2
D3SG G 8
D3SG F 2
D3SG E 2
Goto Ready
Flash:
D3SF A 6 A_FireBullets(10,10,15,30,0,1)
stop
}
}

Ill break it down

ACTOR Doom3Shotgun : Shotgun 20024

ACTOR: any new guns, ammo, projectiles, attacks, decorations, and monster, but not limited to that (check wiki for complete list), is defined first by listing it as an actor.

doom3shotgun: name of this weapon or actor

20024: doom edit number: every original doom actor has a doom edit number, which allows for people to put the item into the game on a map.
putting the same doomedit number as another item will replace it.

Weapon.SelectionOrder 350 --------------->the priority of this weapon, or its likelyhood to be chosen when scrolling through weapons, first.
Inventory.PickupSound "misc/d3pickup" --------------> the first part is wuite obvious. the second is the sound which needs to be defined in a zsnd? lump.
Weapon.AmmoGive 8 ---------------------> how much you get by picking it up.
Weapon.AmmoUse 1 ----------------------> how much ammo it uses per shot
AttackSound "weapons/d3shtgnf" ---------------------------> same as inventory, only this sound plays when you fire your weapon
States: -------------------> the order of frames associated with actions, ill og into it more below
{ --------------------------> always put before defining the below:
Spawn: ---------------> this is its pickup picture, and is needed to make the item pickupable :)
D3SH A -1 -----------------> the first four letters of a sprite (any image of game actors) is the name of it, and the last two(A0 or whatever) is the frame.
there are a bunch of different frames with the same front name. youll get it once you look into any doom game's wad you have
LOOP ----------------> makes the animation stay the same until picked up. -1 after the a makes it a permanent frame. liek a dead body.
Ready: -------------------> the ready to fire state. this is what you see when your gun bobs and before you fire.
D3SG A 1 A_WeaponReady ------------------> A_weaponready lets zdoom know when the weapon is ready to fire.
LOOP
Deselect: ---------------->exactly as it sounds, its the state that plays when you deselect your weapon, or choose another.
D3SG A 1 A_Lower --------------------> same as above, only it lets zdoom know that its lowering and goign to a new weapon.
LOOP
Select:
D3SG A 1 A_Raise -----------------------> the raising frames you see when you select a gun
LOOP
Fire:
D3SG A 0 A_JumpIfNoAmmo(1) ----------------> if theres no ammo then it will deselect the weapon for one that does
D3SG A 6 A_GunFlash ----------------------> calles thje flash states, see below
D3SG B 4
D3SG C 4
D3SG D 34
D3SG E 2
D3SG F 2
D3SG G 8
D3SG F 2
D3SG E 2
Goto Ready ---------------------> tells zdoom that the state has run its cycle and that it needs to go to ready. any state can be put in place of ready
Flash:
D3SF A 6 A_FireBullets(10,10,15,30,0,1) ----------------> teh command to shoot stuff:

the first is its accuracy horizontally or side to side, 0 being 100 percent acurate
the second is vertical or up and down
the third is the amount of bullets actually used in the attack (doesn't effect the amount of ammo consume, jsut how many spit out in the attack)
the fourth is the amount of damage per bullet.
the fifth is the puff type, which is not defined above. basically,
you just the puff you want the attack to have in "".
the the sixth is the use no ammo. if set to one it uses ammo, to disable ammo
put in "UseNoAmmo" in that space
the seventh is the range of the attack. is only really useful for melee, since
all bullets go on infinity.

stop : tells the animation to stop.
} ---------------always put these at the end.
}

if you can do weapons, you can pretty much define anything. this is jsut a simple tutorial taken from the wiki,
but i hope it helps.
have fun zdoom modding!

i used to do this, but now i do EDGE modding, look up edge doom on the wiki to find out more about it.
some of the greatest modders on the forum here started using this, or dehacked, which ill not go further into because dehacked is total garbage...
anyay, the scipting code of edge, called ddf, is MUCH, much easier than zdoom code, and is a good place to get affiliated with basics before moving on
to the more powerful DECORATE, which is also way mroe complicated.

o and by the way: jsut to make it perfectly clear:

D3SG B 4

teh first is the first four identifying letters of a sprite.
teh second is the frame
the third is the time in tics on how long the frame plays before going to a new one.

i hope that helped, and
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Enjay wrote:Anyone able to point to it?
I believe it is

random(1,value) * 3
I also believe that custom bullet damage is in.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

@doomer1: tl;dr

Also,

[code]
[/code]
abro

Post by abro »

hello, I'm another newbie with a similar question. Though I hope I'm a little less lazy than the average noob :oops:

On the wiki, it mentions that the actor classes from Heretic/Hexen/Strife are already implemented in ZDoom (which I've played around with myself. Amazing how a Cyberdemon seems to beat any of the other game bosses lol), but you need their graphical data in order to actually see them outside of their own game. I'm assuming this means that if I wanted to add those monsters to a regular Doom game, I wouldnt have to use DECORATE, I'd simply have to import the graphics.

However, this is the part I'm having trouble with. Unless I'm missing it (and I may very well be), the wiki doesnt mention how to do that, or at least, the part that tells you to do it doesnt link you to a page that would tell you how. I've been playing Doom for years, yet I've never been good at understanding it. This is why I've never made my own wads or anything. However, in this case, I dont want to make any levels, I just want to make a patch (or whatever the correct term is) that lets me use all the official enemies in the same game.

Would this be a simple thing to do for a complete novice? What programs will allow me to do this? This, dear friends, is the plight I bring to you. I dont need edited monsters, I just want graphics for existing ones!
Unknown_Assassin

Post by Unknown_Assassin »

Use XWE or SLumpED to import graphics. Make sure you import the graphics between S_START and S_END.

Return to “Editing (Archive)”