[SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
enderkevin13

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Post by enderkevin13 »

Aaaaand I fucked it up. I'll just revert it back to how it was before. ;/
adamaH_oriH

Post by adamaH_oriH »

enderkevin13 wrote:Image
needs undergun and above hand shading. And Firing frames.
enderkevin13

Post by enderkevin13 »

adamaH_oriH wrote:
Ehhhh I can't find a good enough way to shade it.
adamaH_oriH

Post by adamaH_oriH »

enderkevin13 wrote:
adamaH_oriH wrote:
Ehhhh I can't find a good enough way to shade it.
Hmm. Ok, besides, I liked the original better.
CWolf

Post by CWolf »

Captain J wrote:It hungers for shadows and shades.
And I still dissapointed because my tablet is useless now... I wanted to do shadows for it... :(
Orka

Post by Orka »

Is this an edited version of the doom 3 rifle? Looks pretty cool with these colours.

Time to post something else for me now.
Made some altdeath for my project:
I feel like I forgot something about these...
RSSwizard

Post by RSSwizard »

adamaH_oriH wrote:It could be a weapon that shoots out every projectile/weapon in the game in rapid succession! BTW, How do you guys make such good sprites for weapons? special software? High-quality Image edits? what?
Crap now that reminds me... I was going to replace the revenant fireball with the lava chunk fireball thingy that Hexen uses.

To answer question I think people take ripped 3d models (in some model viewer) and pose them correctly to take screenshots. And it can also be done from taking frame by frame screenshots (VLC can do this) from gameplay footage from youtube or something... I think thats how somebody got the BFG from Doom4.

After that its all post-processing and doom-ifying things. Most likely with photoshop or gimp (ive heard of people using paint.net but its and obscure app to me, and horribly understocked in features).

However there's people who have skill with just doing plain art, and making the sprite gfx from scratch by sketching basic forms in an art program then applying gradients and shading, and coming up with the result.

Then there's frankenspriting and making those inbetween frames like for shotguns and stuff... as you mightve noticed there's more to it than just rotating the graphics, there's perspective tweaks. And sometimes its a good idea to take parts of other sprites to use to make up for parts of the sprite that never were there, to fill in a gap somewhere. As for the tools used id think it would be something that deals with layers so either photoshop or gimp.

As for how I keep mentioning photoshop when its horribly bloated and expensive, sometimes people have access to it at work or university, and photoshop elements can do alot of the same things the full version can (it cannot work with channels though, and im not sure but I dont believe you can delete a locked Background layer).

I wont mention any other methods for getting it freely (as those should be a no-brainer) but I will say that I have paid for almost none of the software I have - because I have no income, and they would never make money off me to begin with (and copyright distribution is about making sure you pay if you would otherwise have the money to do so, since I do not then that means it does them no damage).

I do know that Photoshop 7 works much more efficiently than the newer versions and people used it to make much of the awesome stuff that was revered as digital art in the early 2000s. If you're interested in buying it a quick search turns up old copies of it floating around ebay for as low as 30 bucks and CS2 (which is like photoshop 9.0) for as low as 35.

Only difference between 7.0 and the modern CS versions that ive noticed is some 3d deformation stuff is missing, and they have a slightly different format for brushes (if you're into the custom brushes thing) which more or less just makes new ones incompatible with older photoshops. Its also a little twitchy and prone to hiccup I guess for having more ram available while CS6 will not have issues with this.

Ironically the games I play - most of them I DID pay money for but have lost the discs to the sands of time and many changes of address. Didnt sell them or give them to anybody, the dumpster unfairly ate them.
IMX

Post by IMX »

osjclatchford wrote:Image
so I've done some work on the old bfg.
CWolf wrote:I hate myself...

Don't ask...
Sir Squidly wrote:Well then, in the vein of The Thing, have this smooth baby:

*Note the face it has 3 heads on it's torso.
Excellent job on these, guys!
RSSwizard

Post by RSSwizard »

Ooh just got this idea reminiscent of the goo gun from UT. As a replacement for the shotgun system in the game (or at least for that niche/slot). I had this idea as a weapon for fallout modding that would shoot a glob of blue liquid that explodes on impact, Dark blue goo projectiles that look like laundry detergent. In fallout3 they actually made a flamer variant that worked like that.

Since shotguns are supposed to be short range anyway having a gravity arc projectile would work just fine. Hazardous but the player can take half damage or less via damage type. SSG version could deliver a bunch of it all at once with plunger action involved (chargeup attack if I can figure out how... prolly a chain of A_Refire states).
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

SmarineS wrote:
Is this an edited version of the doom 3 rifle? Looks pretty cool with these colours.
it's a Machine gun, actually.
SmarineS wrote:Time to post something else for me now.
Made some altdeath for my project:
I feel like I forgot something about these...
and Great work with those blue shirts!
enderkevin13

Post by enderkevin13 »

Doom 3 pistol
nakkemake

Post by nakkemake »

Doom 3 pistol
That would be real nice in d3 wad for d2. :D
Jeimuzu73

Post by Jeimuzu73 »

A bunch of Doom 4-styled ammo pickups.

adamaH_oriH

Post by adamaH_oriH »

Doom 3 pistol
The Ender of Kevins returns. Sweet!
Minigunner

Post by Minigunner »

Doom 3 RoE's SSG. Also I added some bite to my bark from a few pages back, click image.
(Also I'll be doing a Doom 2-styled animation for it at some point)

Return to “General”