[SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Amuscaria

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Post by Amuscaria »

I saw it - was lousy. :/
CruX

Post by CruX »

A concept frame I whipped up in about fifteen minutes. Since the base only has two walking frames, I'm really hoping I can keep the discipline to make a full spriteset. It really bothers me that I haven't managed to make any new Heretic/Hexen enemy sprites, given how much I love those games.
neoworm

Post by neoworm »

I would check it ingame. I fear it will look bleached, because it lack contrast on the skin. Otherwise its nice, there is never enough HeXen/Heretic sprites.
CaptainToenail

Post by CaptainToenail »

Heretic/Hexen? I thought it was a ghoul from Fallout, wearing a tattered leather armour/vault jump suit. :lol:
CruX

Post by CruX »

neoworm wrote:I would check it ingame. I fear it will look bleached, because it lack contrast on the skin. Otherwise its nice, there is never enough HeXen/Heretic sprites.
I'd actually nixed some of the contrast deliberately, thinking it wouldn't make sense for a goulish looking badguy's skin to look shiny. You're WAY better than me at this stuff, though, so I took your advice and reworked it. Also hacked a few different frames together to give him a weapon - -

EDIT: Changed the original pic in light of icytux's suggestion. Hopefully this will be a better compromise between having too much contrast, and not having enough of it:
CaptainToenail wrote:Heretic/Hexen? I thought it was a ghoul from Fallout, wearing a tattered leather armour/vault jump suit. :lol:
Don't tell me you said that just because he's rockin' a pair of blue undies :)
Last edited by CruX on Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
.+:icytux:+.

Post by .+:icytux:+. »

it looks sort of better that way, but now its more visible that its pillowshaded, the top of its shoulder and arms are very dark, they shouldnt be as dark as under the arms for example.

Also there might be just a little bit too much black on the darkest shades, try with just a little bit less contrast.
ETTiNGRiNDER

Post by ETTiNGRiNDER »

Globe wrote:Image

A concept frame I whipped up in about fifteen minutes. Since the base only has two walking frames, I'm really hoping I can keep the discipline to make a full spriteset. It really bothers me that I haven't managed to make any new Heretic/Hexen enemy sprites, given how much I love those games.
Looks more Strife than Heretic/Hexen to me. Some hideous experiment secreted away in a laboratory of the Order, perhaps.
Gez

Post by Gez »

I guess the arms and forearms could be shortened a little, while the legs and calves are lengthened a bit. If they're supposed to be undead humans, they can stand to have some amount of mutation (claws and talons), but not completely different proportions. Realistically, the hands should arrive at the height of the belt. Some amount of fudging is of course okay because it's pixel art and a monster, but I find it a bit too much out of proportion as it is now. Try to remove one or two rows on pixel on each arm and forearm, and add instead one or two rows on each leg and calf.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

neoworm wrote:I would check it ingame. I fear it will look bleached, because it lack contrast on the skin. Otherwise its nice, there is never enough HeXen/Heretic sprites.
You compel me to nitpick the Vulgar and resprite it. D:
CaptainToenail

Post by CaptainToenail »

Well, you could increase the contrast and give him a meaner face....

Oh no what have I done! :x :P
Minigunner

Post by Minigunner »

Problem, cyber?
Problem, cyber?
trollface.png (1.62 KiB) Viewed 1061 times
Last edited by Minigunner on Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheMistress

Post by TheMistress »

Minigunner wrote:
trollface.png
HAHA XD!!!
Can you PM me that face in a bigger size, like 800x600 ;o? I love it :wub:
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

He should face the other way, though.
But still, nice one. Certainly made me laugh.
poop87

Post by poop87 »

C'mon man you should make some full sets for these!
cq75
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by cq75 »

Minigunner wrote:
trollface.png
If I ever make a doom megawad, I'd be really tempted to use this as the god mode mugshot

Return to “General”