[SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Enjay

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Post by Enjay »

Blaskowitz wrote:looks more a terrorist to me.
Some people class Zapatistas as terrorists.

They commonly wear balaclavas or bandannas and the sprite conveys that pretty well IMO.
CruX

Post by CruX »

Enjay wrote:
Blaskowitz wrote:looks more a terrorist to me.
Some people class Zapatistas as terrorists.
I was actually going to say that very thing. Anyway, here's the full spritesheet.

He originally had a third death animation, but it didn't quite look up to par, so I got rid of it. Now that I think about it, this is pretty much the same thing as the other soldier edit I did a few months back, only based off on a Doom character, rather than Strife. Because of that I might post this up in that thread, but for now it stays here.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

I'm not sure if you're using a custom palette for this or PNG, but the red when he gibs seems to be missing a lot of in-between shades. It looks like ti's made from only 2 shades of red. Other than that, it looks very nice. :)
Last edited by Amuscaria on Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CruX

Post by CruX »

Hmmm...yeah, I do all of the editing in EDITART, so the it all gets switched over to DN3D's palette. Some things are harder to clean up after adjusting the palette than others, but the blood's usually pretty easy, I must've just not been paying attention to what I was doing (Gib animations often get the least of my focus, if I do them at all). I'll repost a fix to it later.
Captain Awesome

Post by Captain Awesome »

EDITART is magnificent, but I'd recommend finding a Doom to Duke palette converter. Using the Duke palette really just won't do in some cases.
CruX

Post by CruX »

The sprites I've posted in this thread are actually exactly how they appear in the ART tiles, so IMO they look pretty good. It takes a lot of work, but it can be done. I actually switched DN3D's palette to Doom's when I first started screwing around with Doom's sprites, but it didn't seem worth it, especially if it'd be for an eDuke project, to do it that way. Changing the palette didn't let me do palette swaps on anything, which meant no swaps for sprites, no colored sectors (red/blue floors), and no underwater areas because the colors were all jacked up.

*EDIT*

Gib animations are (should be) fixed - -

Captain Awesome

Post by Captain Awesome »

Ah, yes, you'd have to write up your own palette for special stuff like that. I didn't know you were making these for an EDuke32 project.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Looks very nice. A good sprite that is consistent with the Doom originals yet has character of its own.

Globe wrote:this is pretty much the same thing as the other soldier edit I did a few months back, only based off on a Doom character, rather than Strife.
Did you ever finish the Strife one? That was looking cool too.

[edit] Doh! yes it was finished and I even commented in the thread. :oops: [/edit]
neoworm

Post by neoworm »

Globe wrote: Anywho, I'm experimenting with a few different heads/motifs before I get ready to stitch a spritesheet together. Today I made what's supposed to resemble a Zapatista.

Maybe epaulettes and long sleeves would look good on him.
AustinTheHedgehog

Post by AustinTheHedgehog »

Globe wrote: Anywho, I'm experimenting with a few different heads/motifs before I get ready to stitch a spritesheet together. Today I made what's supposed to resemble a Zapatista.

Looks like M. Bison :D
Minigunner

Post by Minigunner »

In case you're wondering, the tube narrows at the front in order to compress the plasma, making it more potent.
In case you're wondering, the tube narrows at the front in order to compress the plasma, making it more potent.
BG3GA0.PNG (3.59 KiB) Viewed 1279 times
cq75
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by cq75 »

where is that sprite from? I keep seeing that weapon, the first time I saw it was in a chex mod.
Ryan Cordell
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Ryan Cordell »

Minigunner wrote:
BG3GA0.PNG
Pretty interesting. I like.

CQ75: Might've used in Skulltag at one point.
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

Ryan Cordell wrote: CQ75: Might've used in Skulltag at one point.
it was the BFG10k sprite before the Black, Doom Movie-esque one.
Minigunner

Post by Minigunner »

I plan on using it as a BFG10K replacement for my ST mod, since it looks more like the BFG9000. Also, I made that edit because the sprite it's based off of lacks perspective. Basically, I used MSPaint to skew the halves and put them back together, then touched it up with pixel editing.

Return to “General”