Loading wads... among other things

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

You need to change the starting class.
Darlos

Post by Darlos »

Right. Okay. Unfortunately, I have nothing to go on there. I thought logic would follow that if I did the "Pistol replaces Pistol" thing, he'd just automatically start with the thing since the original pistol is replaced by the new one. Of course, I guess regardless of me replacing it, it doesn't stop the regular player class of specifying the original pistol to go in the inventory.

Of course, continuing with this... if I try to replace the class for the doom marine character with my own, will something deeper still specify the original class? How can I actually be sure that my custom class will appear when the game starts up?

Also, what IS the class for the player character, anyway? What's it called, and what are its specs (at least, where can I find them)?

Edit: Nevermind nevermind... I managed to piece it all together. Now he spawns with my custom uber-pistol. Cool.

Now, its time to actually try to make the weapons I originally wanted to make.

Thanks for everything folks!
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

Darlos wrote:I opened up the Doom2.wad with SLumpEd, then created a new lump.
I'm hoping that's a typo. As a word of caution, I wouldn't modify any IWAD (Doom.wad, Doom2.wad, etc) without a very good reason, and then I would make a backup first. Your IWAD needs to be in its original condition if you intend to ever play multiplayer, and if you screw it up by mistake, you're screwed and won't be able to play that IWAD if you don't have a backup to restore.

Most of the time there's absolutely no reason to muck around in an IWAD unless it's to take resources from it for another project. Anything you can save into an IWAD you can save into a PWAD just as easily and load the PWAD over the top of the IWAD to accomplish the same effect.
Darlos

Post by Darlos »

Haha, I haven't edited Doom2.wad. My new wad just has a DECORATE and a KEYCONF and loads alongside the regular Doom2.wad.

I think I got it figured out now.

Return to “Editing (Archive)”