Good Zdoom wads

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
Nmn
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Nmn »

Cold As Hell
for fucks sake and for the win!

Honestly, I'm surprised no one mentioned the wad. In my opinion it is much better than RTC and Action Doom. That's just my opinion though.

And patches to reduce laggage:
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=12985
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=12993
Unknown Assassin wrote:Rebirth1 (forgot author)
That's Vader aka Bjorn Ostmann
Earth (forgot author)
Roger Ritenour
Dark7 (forgot author)
Bryant Robinson

For those with author-amnesia I recomend the archives, which has the wads and whole respectful credits for their production. Sheesh. -_-

Per teh best wad in my opinion it would be either Doom Resurection, something from Rex (probably Dawn: A Prelude) and ... Do-Tims. These wads have really great gameplay and memorable moments (albeit the last one being insane, it's much more interesting conceptually than those teh bases over and over and over and over. Same lamps, same trims, same shit. Bleh)
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

The funniest wad I've played for ZDoom-only was MassMouth 2. You may play MassMouth 1 to know the full story.
Wills

Post by Wills »

My favorite ones are:
007: License to Spell Doom
Runaway Train
Doom Resurrection
Dark7
How Not To Be Seen ;)
Do-Tims
The SHiTWADS series (especially WorstHub and Lost Soulsphere)
The Void

EDIT: I was downloading Claustrophobia when I noticed something interesting...

Ryan Cordell
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Ryan Cordell »

Unfourtunately, as said many times, Claustrophobia does indeed have ripped music, ala DRE as people have said, but not to a gigantic extent. It's mainly used for atmosphere and such.
Kristus

Post by Kristus »

The problems people had with DRE's music wasn't so much that it was ripped, it was that it was regular band music, ala Offspring (Come out and play for instance) and that there were 60mb of it when the wad itself only had a size of 24 or so mb.
Nightmare Doom

Post by Nightmare Doom »

Phobus

Post by Phobus »

@Wills: Yeah, 666 was a bit of a surprise for me too. Still, with the slowdown generators and surprisingly tense initial atmosphere, it deserves it :)
Wills

Post by Wills »

It definitely deserved it. The cutscenes were very well done, though the gameplay was awful. Still, the music was really appropriate.
Bashe

Post by Bashe »

Yeah, I thought the PSX05 song (what it's called in the wad) was quite creepy.
dochist

Post by dochist »

Doorhenge

Post by Doorhenge »

Wow when I left this thread I thought the first post was the only responce I was going to get. When I came back I was amazed to see it full with suggestions.

Thanks for posting those links.
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

np
Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve »

Nmn wrote:Cold As Hell
for fucks sake and for the win!
Cold as Hell would be great if it ran for me, I can't play past level 3/4 without the game slowing to 1fps and I have to quit. I also wasn't a fan of the "bleeding" system, it was unecessarily frustrating (and I know something about frustrating gameplay).
Nmn

Post by Nmn »

Have you tried the patches?

I'm also waiting for Graf to release a patch n fixn version of CAH so I don't have to temp Godmode everytime I enter a map and am both-slowed down before the snow disappears, and ambushed by hordes. (latter time I turn godmode off, naturally <_< )
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Cold as Hell would be a great WAD if someone had actually playtested it for gameplay, not 'realism'. The excessive slowdowns, the stupid reloading system, the lowered health of the player combined with the absence of any armor and the bleeding system made it fail.

Fortunately I was able to decompile most of the scripts so I could take out the most annoying parts and reassemble the whole thing in a more gameplay-friendly version. (The only thing I really had to sacrifice was the custom HUD because I didn't get the code for it to decompile properly.) And in that form it is one of the best Doom WADs I have ever played. Too bad that it will be remembered mostly for its flaws...

Return to “Editing (Archive)”