The "How do I..." Thread

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
edward850

Re: The "How do I..." Thread

Post by edward850 »

LanHikariDS wrote:Firstly, I don't know how to use that script. All I know is DECORATE, and that doesn't look like DECORATE
In DB2/GZDoomBuilder, you'll have a "Script" icon (Hexen format or UDMF). Plomp it in there with #include "zcommon.acs" up at the top. Press compile.
LanHikariDS wrote:Secondly, here's my SNDINFO. The sound in question is "VINESAUCE":

Code: Select all

ALLAHU				ALLAHU
OSPICE				OSPICE
OSPICX				OSPICX
WHISPER				WHISPER
VINESAUCE			VINESAUCE
VINESAUCE is 9 charters, however the lumpname needs to be 8. Imagine you're still using the WAD format for anything sound related.
Last edited by edward850 on Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

That isn't DECORATE. It's ACS.

The first step to improving this is to step out of your comfort zone. You will come across many situations where you will have to use unfamiliar coding practices like this. That's how I did it...
LanHikariDS

Post by LanHikariDS »

edward850 wrote:
LanHikariDS wrote:Firstly, I don't know how to use that script. All I know is DECORATE, and that doesn't look like DECORATE
In DB2/GZDoomBuilder, you'll have a "Script" icon (Hexen format or UDMF). Plomp it in there with #include "zcommon.acs" up at the top. Press compile.
VINESAUCE is 9 charters, however the lumpname needs to be 8. Imagine you're still using the WAD format for anything sound related.[/quote]
The mod I'm working on doesn't add new maps (Think Project MSX), I'm not using any map editor, just SLADE
edward850

Post by edward850 »

Then you'll need to start working with the complexities of [wiki]LOADACS[/wiki] and compiling libraries in Slade3. However, I'm not really sure I'm prepared to explain how to operate that from the absolute start. From my perspective it seems you might be running before walking just a tad, however I'm really not sure where else one starts other than making maps.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

You do realize that Project MSX also uses ACS, right?
LanHikariDS

Post by LanHikariDS »

DoomKrakken wrote:You do realize that Project MSX also uses ACS, right?
I never said it didn't. However, Edward said to bring up the scripts for the map in DoomBuilder, but there's no map. Likewise, I never said I'm not willing to use ACS, I just said I don't know how to. Another thing I assumed went without saying, I want the sound to play at the start of each map, which is why I originally tried setting it to the player's Spawn state.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Ah.

Well... if you use SLADE, then it should be very easy. Use an ENTER script (and if you're returning to a map you've been to before, in the case of a hub, then you should duplicate that script but make the duplicate a RETURN script).

I'm a noob with ACS, but I know enough to get around, I think...

Here's what you need to do:

- Define your "Vinesauce sound in SNDINFO (example... "Vinesauce VINESND")
- Start with a fresh new blank file. You can duplicate a text file from within SLADE and then delete its contents if you wish.
- Write this in it...
Spoiler:
- Click the "Compile ACS" button (NOT the "Compile ACS (Hexen Format)" button). A module will be created
- Create two new folders... one named "ACS", the other named "Source". Put your text file in the "Source" folder and your new ACS Module into the ACS folder.
- Create a LOADACS script limp that has the exact names of all of your ACS lumps.

I think that's it...
JunkerKun

Post by JunkerKun »

Hey there!
Is there any way to add inertia to weapons? Like when you move the camera you weapon moves slightly to the side of screen.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Check out Guncaster and Trailblazer. :)
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

Monster seeker missiles travel through the calling actor. Is there a way to change that? I want this cyberdemon that shoot homing missiles to be able to be hit by his own missiles if I circle around him.
edward850

Post by edward850 »

That would make the projectiles impossible to fire, as they'll impact the shooter on spawn. As such, nonsense.
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

edward850 wrote:That would make the projectiles impossible to fire, as they'll impact the shooter on spawn. As such, nonsense.
Ahh, didn't realize, thanks for the heads up. Wait, couldn't I change a flag a few tics after it fires?
Gez

Post by Gez »

You can try using the pointer manipulation functions to clear the missile's target (aka: shooter) after it has gotten far enough from said target to no longer be inside. Be aware that doing this will also prevent the missile from triggering infighting; it's not necessarily a problem in your case but that can be something to keep in mind if you were wanting to generalize this behavior to all monster projectiles.

A missile will always pass through its target; and when a missile deals damage it's the missile's target that is responsible for the damage.

[wiki]A_RearrangePointers[/wiki](AAPTR_NULL, AAPTR_DEFAULT, AAPTR_DEFAULT)
edward850

Post by edward850 »

As such it'll also prevent obituaries from being referred, so the player will be killed by the world instead, and look at nothing.
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

ok, the no infighting is a deal breaker. Well, as always, thanks for your help guys.

Return to “Editing (Archive)”