Help with doors!

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
GuildNavigator

Re: Help with doors!

Post by GuildNavigator »

Hi there everyone!

Lately I've been very busy, and just now I resumed my old work.
I have a strange problem: I've been working on my WAD normally; this afternoon was the last time I modified it. Now, I'm going to open the WAD (I use Doom Builder 2, latest version), and suddenly the typical screen of the game configuration, just before the loading of the level, is empty, as if it's the first time I'm going to work on a new WAD. In particular, the number of the map is not visible, and fort his reason the editor doesn't load the level because it's not given the number of the map. Pretty strange, considering I worked as usual on the file.

Do I have to worry? This level is quite rich of details and stuff, and I have a bad feeling about this sudden problem...

What you suggest?

Thank you in advance! :)
cocka

Post by cocka »

I wonder how this question refers to the title of this topic. :D

How about having a look at your wad in Slade3?
GuildNavigator

Post by GuildNavigator »

I usually post my questions here, in the thread I opened, because I don not want to bother in other forums...

Anyway, I'd like to upload the file in order to see if you can open and run it... it's about 20 MB, is it okay for you to download or you have a low connection?
I'm not so used to Slade3, so I'd like you to have a look. Here is the file:
https://www.mediafire.com/?yarjm2r26ij4rxm

Let me know if it works! :)

Thanks!

PS: game configuration is UDMF mode, with DOOM" iWAD and gothichxDM texture pack
cocka

Post by cocka »

This is a corrupt file. The data ends at offset 400000h and the rest of the file contains 00 bytes. So there are no "entries" for lump names that's why Slade3 and DB2 shows nothing when you try to open a map.

So it means you have altogether 22 167 632 bytes in your file but the actual content is only 4 194 304 bytes. So it is exactly 4 megabytes from 21 megabytes.
GuildNavigator

Post by GuildNavigator »

Oh, great. :/
Thanks for our precious help in understanding the problem; I really had no idea why it didn't open...
Luckily I have a recent save of the level..

Thanks again!
cocka

Post by cocka »

Look at it with a hexeditor or total commander, midnight commander etc..
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

GuildNavigator wrote:... (I use Doom Builder 2, latest version) ...
I know, it may sound like proselytizing, ...

... since you are mapping for UDMF I suggest that you use GZDoom Builder instead of Doombuilder2.
GZDB is far more robust, especially when maps are as intricate as yours.

Plus, GZDB has so many new features not found in DB2.

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=32392
http://devbuilds.drdteam.org/doombuilder2-gzdb/

All I can do is recommend. The final choice is, as always, yours.
GuildNavigator

Post by GuildNavigator »

@Kappes Buur: thank you for your nice suggestions, Kappes Buur :)

I heard of but never used that; I think I'll give a look and a try with this editor.

PS: soon there will be some new screens of the maps.
GuildNavigator

Post by GuildNavigator »

Hello everyone!
I have a question for you: using Doom Builder 2, is it possible to create a floor consisting only of a plain texture? I mean, a floor that basically has height 0, but works as a floor anyway; for example, using a grate texture that simulates the grate of a cage, on which you can walk.
This problem may sound simple, but I cannot figure out how to make it.

Thanks in advance!
TheMightyHeracross

Post by TheMightyHeracross »

I know 3D Floors work when the control sector has a height of 0. Then you get Duke Nukem 3D-style flat bridges.
edward850

Post by edward850 »

Can I be the first to point out that the question makes very little actual sense? I mean, I know he's probably thinking of 3Dfloors, but damned if you can figure that out without changing what "floor height" means. If the floor didn't have a height, there would be nothing to stand on, which raises some interesting questions. ;)
Clownman

Post by Clownman »

Does anybody know how to make change the line alignment? I want my door to be thin like how they are in most wads rather than all clunky and huge and I'm tired of doing it in "free line mode" because it's just difficult trying to make it smooth and consistant. ((using doombuilder 2)) :/
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

...Your question also doesn't seem to make any sense to me. Have you tried lowering your grid snap settings to be closer together? Or are you asking about polyobject doors? Need some clarification.

8-)
GuildNavigator

Post by GuildNavigator »

Sorry for my poor description, Caligari_87 and edward850, but TheMightyHeracross understood anyway what I wanted to know. Yes, I was talking about 3dFloors with a height = 0, and didn't think (nor tried) that would work as a floor with height = 0.

Thank you TheMightyHeracross, and sorry for not adding more details in the description.
Clownman

Post by Clownman »

Caligari_87 wrote:...Your question also doesn't seem to make any sense to me. Have you tried lowering your grid snap settings to be closer together? Or are you asking about polyobject doors? Need some clarification.

8-)
Yeah times the grid snap settings. I can't seem to find them either.

Return to “Editing (Archive)”