[2.8pre-237-g7dbf4ec] Projectile issues

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
LilWhiteMouse

[2.8pre-237-g7dbf4ec] Projectile issues

Post by LilWhiteMouse »

I couldn't run any newer version as I'm having the same issue as others trying to run them on WinXPSP3.

I've asked about this on the editing forums and no one seems to indicate I've done something wrong or that it's a "don't do that" situation. There's two issues, but I don't know if they're related so I'm posting both here for the moment.

The first issue is that projectiles detonate upon spawn. The projectiles are flagged with +MTHRUSPECIES with both them and the affected actors Species property defined. What's confusing is that the actors all inherit from the same sources, but define different species. One species will work, while another will not. I've had to use a NOCLIP hack to get the projectiles to spawn.

The second issue is that projectiles are not doing damage upon hitting something. It seems to be (mostly) tied the shooter's movement. If the shooter is stationary, then the projectile will damage upon impact. If the shooter is in motion, then the projectile does no damage.

Here's the "project" for demonstration:http://www.prdarkfox.com/lwm/btech3.7z
Drag 'n drop to start. It's made for GZDoom, but I added dummy sprites so it runs with ZDoom, which has the same problems. The mess of sprites (tan mech in GZDoom) is of species "Ally", the mess of sprites (red mech in GZDoom) coming toward you is of species "Enemy". The "Ally" will auto attack when the "Enemy" gets close. You can make the Ally chase the Enemy by selecting the Ally using FIRE and the selecting the Enemy with FIRE.

When the ally's autocannon fires (right arm), you can see that it detonates as soon as it spawns. The enemy's will spawn properly though. Both projectiles inherit from the same actor, only defining their respective species.

I've added readouts that display the HPs of each mech. You'll see that when the ally's weapons (other then the AC obviously) hit the enemy, they do damage. Nothing the enemy mech hits the ally with however does any damage, or rarely does. If you make the ally chase the enemy, it's weapons will also cease to do damage (most of the time).

[EDIT] Just discovered actors won't take radius damage from the projectiles either. If I A_SpawnItemEX() a second actor that does radius damage, that does have an effect.
[EDIT2] It seems +THRUSPECIES and +MTHRUSPECIES is being completely ignored. Summon a second "Bushwacker_Ally" and if it gets between the other ally and the enemy, the other ally's projectiles will hit the ally in the way.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: [2.8pre-237-g7dbf4ec] Projectile issues

Post by Graf Zahl »

Sorry this took so long to investigate.

The missile explodes because it hits a thing of type 'CommandTarget', which, while not solid, is marked shootable, which is enough to make the projectile explode.
This is as far as I can investigate this thing, from the engine side there is no bug here, it must be somewhere in your setup.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”