[2.7.1 - Mac PPC] Bug: Unable to transition maps in Strife

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
darkhaven3

[2.7.1 - Mac PPC] Bug: Unable to transition maps in Strife

Post by darkhaven3 »

Tested using:
- iMac G4 @ 1GHz with 256MB RAM and a GeForce 4 MX420 (32MB) running OS 10.4.11 and ZDoom 2.7.1.
- Also tested in ZDoom 2.8 pre-54 with the same results.
- IWAD: STRIFE1.WAD (md5: 8F2D3A6A289F5D2F2F9C1EEC02B47299), NOT using VOICES.WAD.

Problem:
- Unable to transition maps when crossing line special #145 (WR Warp to Map Spot).
- Unable to exit levels using line special #11 (S1 Exit to Level).
- NO OTHER GAMES are affected in this way.
- This does not affect any of the x86-based releases of 2.7.1 nor 2.8 pre-54. It is strictly a PowerPC issue that I can tell, and does not even affect the Mac x86 binary according to blzut3.

To replicate this:
- Anywhere in the IWAD, attempting to cross line special #145 or activate line special #11 will replicate this bug.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: [2.7.1 - Mac PPC] Bug: Unable to transition maps in Stri

Post by Graf Zahl »

Seeing that this went without any response for over a year, I have one question:

Is there anyone who still tries to maintain a PPC build and can check?
Regardless, both of these line actions are simple scripts that merely call Teleport_NewMap, so if this doesn't work it suggests a more serious problem with ACS on big endian.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

I don't have PowerPC Mac, same for blzut3 IIRC.
It's impossible to debug PPC binaries on x86. They can be run on i386 using a special software, Rosetta, on very old OS X.
My native back-end never support PPC architecture too.
Taking into account that Intel Macs are exclusively in production for almost ten years, I hardly believe that somebody can address this issue.
Blzut3

Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Blzut3 »

Yeah, I'm technically able to maintain the PPC code, but Rosetta doesn't produce the same problems as a native PPC. Similarly, Rosetta seems to show problems that native PPC does not (palette blends being the wrong color, at least no one seems to be reporting that). I know Randi has a PPC Mac, but we need to convince him to get it back out of storage.

Contrary to _mental_'s statement, I do know that there are quite a few PPC Macs in the community. A number of people keep 10.4 and OS 9 compatible machines around for retro Mac programs. Honestly there are probably more PPC Macs in use than Windows 98 machines since projects like TenFourFox keep them remotely usable. It is my intention, when I get some time to try getting the OS X back end to work on 10.4/5 which should pretty much automatically give PPC support.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”