ÆoD (Old thread)

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

It gives me a script error when I play with the wads help~
stx 2.0

Post by stx 2.0 »

Basically what you wrote is "ofgm i cant use my wrw laow its borkd fixr it pzl"

Try to go into more detail. Were you useing something other than ZDoom96x? (GZDoom, ZDoomGL.)
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

stx 2.0 wrote:@Weasel: Try to ignore the filesize, Think of it as a "compilation mod". It compiles of what is best, in his opinion, of many weapon mods already out. And with some of his own.
I'd rather it just be stuff of his own instead of unmodified rips of stuff that's already been released. Also, there's no excuse for the gigantic wad files if the fix is as easy as going into Sound Recorder and clicking one button in the save dialog.
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

stx 2.0 wrote:Basically what you wrote is "ofgm i cant use my wrw laow its borkd fixr it pzl"

Try to go into more detail. Were you useing something other than ZDoom96x? (GZDoom, ZDoomGL.)
what do you think I was using? I mean that is a stupid question of course I us Zdoom why the hell would I use something else, this is Zdoom 98 the forum is for Zdoom the mod was posted for zdoom, What do you think I used? A GCN?

SO TELL ME THE FUcKIng PROBLEM...
BouncyTEM
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support
Location: 2280 Lol Street: The Calamitous Carnival (formerly Senators Prison)

Post by BouncyTEM »

Marcus wrote:
stx 2.0 wrote:Basically what you wrote is "ofgm i cant use my wrw laow its borkd fixr it pzl"

what do you think I was using? I mean that is a stupid question of course I us Zdoom why the hell would I use something else, this is Zdoom 98 the forum is for Zdoom the mod was posted for zdoom, What do you think I used? A GCN?

SO TELL ME THE flexing PROBLEM...
piece of advice; calm the hell down. Spazzing out at others will only get you a big fat load of no help.

Second, maybe if you were more specific on what you stated, we could fix the flexing problem.

back on topic...Hm. this wad seems ok, but seems like a huge assortment of lots of random stuff. Although I must say a few things were pretty neat, like how accurate you got the Quake and Quake II monsters.
chopkinsca

Post by chopkinsca »

Marcus wrote:

He clearly stated what choices you had to answer what you used. There are a few different branches of Zdoom, and currently, some wads work with one of them, and not the others.

Anyway, your post was worth a good 'heh', if anything (and no, not for your attempt at being funny.)
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

ok,ok, first thing, in the hurry to upload a working version of AEOD, I never took time enough to clean the wads (especially the AE5.wad), tonight I will take care of it (I hope), anyway, I will try to modify a little some weapons (just a few ideas).

I like the point of view that this mod is also a source, because I would love to see some of my work in somewhere else...

wildweasel wrote:The mod really hasn't improved very much. Here's what I think:
  1. Weapon overflow is still very prevalent. In trying to select the Quake 1 supershotgun, I had to shuffle through five other weapons. In a combat situation, that could easily have killed me.
  2. "Me-Too" syndrome is also present - and I dare say it's an extreme case. There is virtually no difference between the various shotguns, machine guns, and the Quake 1 and 2 rocket launchers.
  3. Why are the weapon resource wad weapons still in here, completely unmodified? Removing those alone would cut back much of the overflow, the "me-too" syndrome, and at least one or two of your wad files (and consequently, about 20 megs of space as well).
  4. A lot of your new enemies are nothing but recolored versions of original Doom enemies with some hitpoint and damage differences.
  5. Yet more of your enemies are far too powerful for what they're intended to replace - for example, the rocket and grenade zombies are capable of instantly killing the player at full health and no armor - yet they are encountered on the first level of just about every megawad out there. This doesn't give the player much of a chance to find a weapon to use outside of his crummy pistol.
  6. The Fist is inaccessible. This means that you have only a pistol to start with, and if that is gone, then you're screwed because there's nothing else.
  7. It's hard to tell the difference between some monsters - something that could end up being life-threatening.
  8. The recolor jobs on a few of your enemies are downright horrendous.
  9. I found it very difficult to aim the Quake 1 grenade launcher without killing myself with it, because it doesn't shoot far enough.
  10. Why did you rip all the guns from Chaoscentral's Doom 3 weapons mod without modification? They're a bit out of place, especially since they have to reload and nearly all of the other weapons don't.
[edit] Addendum...
AE5.wad is 70 [expletive]ing megabytes. Why? Because the sounds you ripped out of Duke Nukem 3D have been upsampled to 44 khz when the original sounds were only 8 khz. Not only does this severely bloat your wad, it also makes the sounds themselves extremely tinny - to the point that they hurt my ears to listen to them.

well:
1.- Not much I can do.... Should I bind to each key a diferent weapon? there is like 75 weapons... so.... what can I do, if I want to have 75 weapons (not less)
2.- I know that there is a huge similarity between the weaps, and the thing is.... well no much justification to this but the small diferences between each, make the easy to use any of them in desperate cases (in fight), and each has the diference (damage, firing speed, etc), to select one in non-desperate cases, plus I dont like the "Plasma shotgun" in the shotgun "area" I really preffer to put something like that in the PlasmaRifle "area"
3.- I will try to remove all unnecesary things from the wad (or unused?)
4.- Im not sure of that... I tried to make similarities in the monsters to know which kind of monster you are fighting... Maybe it didnt worked....
5.- That is why almost each monster drops weapons ahd helat (hearts or quart flash), plus, no, there is no plus...
6.- Wrong, when you run out of bullets (if pistol is your only weapon), you switch automaticly to the fist (and as I see no one would like to fight with the fist insted the pistol, so when the pistol is out, the fist are in), and in the berserk, you still switch to the fist powered
7.- I dont really understand that point
8.- Which ones?, I will try to make them look better.... (and Im not a great "translation" guy)
9.- That one has an explanation: In original Quake que grenade launcher shoots a weird low gravity grenade, but the "low gravity" of decorate is too low to use it in the grenades, if I put them too fast without the "lowgravity" they will be a rocket launcher. The quake grenade launcher is an -easy-to-find-weapon-. No much problem when you will find fast too the RocketLauncher
10.- If I was very good "decorater" I would make the weapons to reload (almost all), but because im not, well those ones looked so great that I couldnt let them go (they have a diference from the original... the empty shells and stuff like that :D )

fto your final point: Yeah sorry about that (the sounds), when I took the sounds from Duke I thought that they soun too crappy... I will try to take them again ( in its original format)
Marcus wrote:It gives me a script error when I play with the wads help~
Which error you have.... maybe I can help....

Anyway, thaks for the comments, I will try to make the mod "a better palce to play"..... :?:
stx 2.0

Post by stx 2.0 »

Marcus wrote:

ALRIGHT I"LL TELL YOU THE FUCKING PROBLEM!$!1%151

THE FUCKING PROBLEM IS PROBABLY THAT YOU ARE NOT USING THE RIGHT GCN!! USE THIS GCN!
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

CHILL THE FSCK OUT, MAN! This sort of thing is what got you banninated in the first place, remember?
stx 2.0

Post by stx 2.0 »

It's a joke, TDA. :P
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

Today april 27, I was going to upload the "fixed" version of AEOD, but because I didn't make a great improvement, I will upload in a few days.
The only changes I did yesterday (and today in the very morning) are:
*Added a AltFire to Q2RocketLauncher
*Added a AltFire to ChargedPlasmaBolter
*Joined the Apocalypse and nova weapons to have less weapons with the same graphic
*Removed all the stuff unnecesary of the WRW from AE5.wad (not big difference, from 65mb to 63mb)
*Reduced the damage of the "hoverbeam" missile
*Reduced the damage of the Q2Soldier2, it was too powerful for a shotgunner
*Re-arranged the monsters names in the spawners to make the hardest monsters apeear less, and the easiest more (thanks to wildweasel for that observation).

Still to do:
*Remove all unnecesary sounds from AE5.wad (it will take a long, long time)
*Modify a few weapons to make them more dangerous (jejeje)
*and more things that I dont want to list right now

note:
I have seen commentaries of how "bad" the mod looks, but I wonder if you have tried to play it? When I play it I found it fun, if you play it and still think that it sucks... I would like to know that! but play it!!! at least a few levels....

I have one big question:
What do you think of the music?
Considering that they were selected by me...
:arrow: And the music of map01, 05 and 08=30 are my compositions.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

I don't listen to the music in Doom.
Ryan Cordell
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Ryan Cordell »

wildweasel wrote:I don't listen to the music in Doom.
QFT.

Only songs I ever listened to were Heretic's and Strife's.
Apothem

Post by Apothem »

Is that only the midi's or everything ever put in by a mapper? I try to fit an mp3 here and there if the wad content permits, but do that few people really not even care?
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

I only listen to the music if it really fits. If I don't like it very much, I switch it off and put on Winamp instead.

Examples of stuff I liked: RTC-3057, TNT2, and Claustrophobia. The PSX Doom stuff is pretty good too, but otherwise I'd rather put on the Trigun soundtrack.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”