ÆoD (Old thread)

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

mooload, had an error, "this page cannot be shown" or something like that
and the megaupload, well that bound me to this chair for at least another hour!

Another option?
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

No others
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

How can I know if Mooload.com is working?
In this moment I only see the little bar in the lower part of the window, it seems to be full, in the left lower part the text "abriendo pagina http://www.mooload.com/index.php.... and finally the windows logo in the upper right moving, I think that is suggesting me that the page is working... but how should I know how long I have to wait?

My money is running out, just as my time...
chronoteeth

Post by chronoteeth »

http://www.mooload.com/ is what I got, there was no index or .php in it. Try a copy and paste of that.
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

I guess that right now is uploadig the file, because I pushed the "upload file" button, But I wonder: How long should I wait? I'm kind of desperated.

Anyway if I dont succeed today I will try it the day after tomorrow.
chronoteeth

Post by chronoteeth »

Darn, well I could ask someone from DRDteam to tempoarily host it till I get it.
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

could be, but right now I'm leaving this place (in fact the attenders are kicking me out :evil: ), so this will have to wait.

Still, I will work a little harder to finish this mod as fast as posible, or at least make it playable until I add more monsters (I still need to make all the Duke Nukem, blood and doom64 mosnters), I need to make work the random-mosnters-spawners.

Anyway, I'll be back maybe tomorrow, or the day after... I'll be back!!!
stx 2.0

Post by stx 2.0 »

Okay, Upload it to Megaload, and for Chrono and everyone else, I will try to get it to work with Moo whatever.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I've just checked this out (on impulse from Chronoteeth). I am angered. Quite greatly.

You see, of all the documentation you wrote for the wad, there are quite a few places where you have not credited the original sources for your graphics, sounds, and code. To make matters worse, several aspects of the mod are entirely ripped - mostly the stuff from the weapons resource wad, as well as the overused weapons from Duke Nukem, Shadow Warrior, and Cory Whittle's Immoral Conduct mod.

But there's another reason why I am angered.

You see, there are a couple weapons of mine in this mod. The first is the charged plasma bolter from the resource wad. I don't mind this so much, but the point of the resource wad is for mappers to use the weapons in their maps without having to code them - not for other weapon modders to rip them off. Add to this, you didn't modify the bolter at all. However, being that you at least put my name in the decorate code, it's not quite as bad - but I'd rather you actually created a weapon yourself rather than just copying mine verbatim.

Second is the ChaosRocketLauncher - you say in your Decorate lump that you got it from Demented Reality, a weapon mod by TheDarkArchon. That weapon was originally my creation, and I gave him permission to use it. However, neither his nor my names are listed relating to this weapon. They appear elsewhere in the decorate lump (i.e. on other weapons of entirely different origins) but not around the chaos launcher.

Lastly, you need to trim the fat. There are a lot of weapons and monsters that almost act exactly the same as each other (mainly the rocket launchers, machine guns, and shotguns). The stuff out of the weapons resource wad is entirely unnecessary. Just getting rid of that, along with a bunch of the "me-too" weapons, would easily trim about thirty megabytes out of your wad file.
chronoteeth

Post by chronoteeth »

Hmm, I checked the wads, and while I could find the plasma blaster, could not find anything else really. :|
DBThanatos

Right

Post by DBThanatos »

ok, ok, sorry to be late...

WildWeasel:

Fisrt thing of all, I said at the beginnig that almost everything in this mod was stolen, dont tell me I didnt say that.

Tell me directly if you want me to remove the weapons you made. Also as I think there is no Readme text in the rar file, I think I say that too, and I say too that I was going to give credits to the author of the sources I used.

For the ChaosRocketLauncher: sorry I didnt know it was yours, now I know I think I have to give you credits (a lot of)

Also, Yes, I used a lot the Immoral conduct sprites, again "almost everything in this mod is stolen", I tried to contact bur in the Immoral conduct readme gives a mail which I never was able to contact.

I said before:
THE MOD IS NOT FINISHED!!!!

but now...
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

I realize that your mod is not finished. You've already repeated yourself a few times by now. What I'm saying is that your mod would be made much better if you at least tried to modify the stuff that you ripped. Adjust the durations. Tweak the power levels. Make the weapons act completely different. Because as it stands now, your mod plays exactly like all the other ones that you've taken materials from - and that's not a good thing. It's like they're all mushed together into a single small space with little room to breathe.

If you'd do what I suggest, your mod will probably turn out to be better. Perhaps even playable to some extent.
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

right now is the first (working) version of AEOD available, take a look, and then tell me what you think.

Forget this one!! in page 6 is the latest version

Please read them and then play.
Tell me opinions to make changes

by the way, forget the "weapons will not be easy to find", is extremely easy and I think that is good because the monsters.... well there are too much.
Last edited by DBThanatos on Thu May 11, 2006 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

The mod really hasn't improved very much. Here's what I think:
  1. Weapon overflow is still very prevalent. In trying to select the Quake 1 supershotgun, I had to shuffle through five other weapons. In a combat situation, that could easily have killed me.
  2. "Me-Too" syndrome is also present - and I dare say it's an extreme case. There is virtually no difference between the various shotguns, machine guns, and the Quake 1 and 2 rocket launchers.
  3. Why are the weapon resource wad weapons still in here, completely unmodified? Removing those alone would cut back much of the overflow, the "me-too" syndrome, and at least one or two of your wad files (and consequently, about 20 megs of space as well).
  4. A lot of your new enemies are nothing but recolored versions of original Doom enemies with some hitpoint and damage differences.
  5. Yet more of your enemies are far too powerful for what they're intended to replace - for example, the rocket and grenade zombies are capable of instantly killing the player at full health and no armor - yet they are encountered on the first level of just about every megawad out there. This doesn't give the player much of a chance to find a weapon to use outside of his crummy pistol.
  6. The Fist is inaccessible. This means that you have only a pistol to start with, and if that is gone, then you're screwed because there's nothing else.
  7. It's hard to tell the difference between some monsters - something that could end up being life-threatening.
  8. The recolor jobs on a few of your enemies are downright horrendous.
  9. I found it very difficult to aim the Quake 1 grenade launcher without killing myself with it, because it doesn't shoot far enough.
  10. Why did you rip all the guns from Chaoscentral's Doom 3 weapons mod without modification? They're a bit out of place, especially since they have to reload and nearly all of the other weapons don't.
[edit] Addendum...
AE5.wad is 70 [expletive]ing megabytes. Why? Because the sounds you ripped out of Duke Nukem 3D have been upsampled to 44 khz when the original sounds were only 8 khz. Not only does this severely bloat your wad, it also makes the sounds themselves extremely tinny - to the point that they hurt my ears to listen to them.
stx 2.0

Post by stx 2.0 »

@Weasel: Try to ignore the filesize, Think of it as a "compilation mod". It compiles of what is best, in his opinion, of many weapon mods already out. And with some of his own.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”