D4DHF v0.3 - "Cloak and Dagger" [Add-On]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: D4DHF v0.3 - "Cloak and Dagger" [Add-On]

Post by Major Cooke »

Mirroring this over from Phobos' thread:
Major Cooke wrote:Also, I should say, I do invite all addon makers onto our Discord channel. Would be a good place to discuss coding stuff and technical jargon if needed.

I might even offer helping convert this to the ZScript version if I have time. Your call. The good news is, I'm making it easier than ever to add integration so your mods can work together like biscuits and butter. Not just you, Phobos, everyone as an addon dev.
rileymartin

Post by rileymartin »

I'm still getting the Megadeath carrion bug with the fixed version ever since I got the Carrion Cannon and stockpiled 5000 carrion. Wasn't an issue before when I had a full Deadshot as I was still collecting carrion and getting extra credits for it. With the Cannon, it lies on the ground and causes the same issue.
VICE

Post by VICE »

Pardon, looks like I forgot to copy some decorate over from my "workspace" pk3 to the actual v0.3 file.
Uploaded a new version that should fix this (and some other stuff while I'm at it).

http://www.mediafire.com/file/64eq2q54d ... HFv03a.pk3

Code: Select all

// =======================================
# v0.3a [04/12/16] "For real this time"
// ======================================= 
@ Option: Added an option to spawn SSG in Doom1. (Enable from the options menu, gives a small chance for placed shotguns to be replaced with SSG. Only works in Doom 1 maps - this option has absolutely no effect in Doom 2)
@ Weapon: Repeater has been given a select fire mechanism. Press mod key to toggle between burst and single round fire.
@ Upgrade: Suppressed Muzzle upgrade added for the Vortex Rifle
@ Bugfix: Multijump style settings now update in real time and work as intended.
@ Bugfix: Fixed carrion pickup behaviour.
@ Bugfix: Monsters will now drop carrion even if you have MP weapons disabled, as long as you have a carrion-using weapon.
Moogaman

Post by Moogaman »

I can't seem to find grenades
got a test map and it seems when I pick up the backpack, sometimes, I'll get the grenades
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Moogaman wrote:I can't seem to find grenades
got a test map and it seems when I pick up the backpack, sometimes, I'll get the grenades
I noticed that too... I've been running Doom 1 again on Ultra Nightmare, and I have grabbed many backpacks and I have yet to see the caustic grenades appear.
VICE

Post by VICE »

Megaherz wrote:- Grenades will now only sometimes spawn next to backpacks, and they will spawn with some random velocity so that they're close, but don't overlap all the time with the backpack itself.
As for the caustic grenades, they're listed under the nightmare weapons list for a reason, and no one said you'll get them from backpacks. ;)
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Megaherz wrote:
Megaherz wrote:- Grenades will now only sometimes spawn next to backpacks, and they will spawn with some random velocity so that they're close, but don't overlap all the time with the backpack itself.
As for the caustic grenades, they're listed under the nightmare weapons list for a reason, and no one said you'll get them from backpacks. ;)
Funny, I thought that was what I got it from while running Doom 2. I guess it came from a dead guard then.
VICE

Post by VICE »

Time for some v0.4 progress pics:

New equipment type

Deadshot gets some new sprites

New weapon:
Spoiler:
Ikazu-san

Post by Ikazu-san »

That's cool.
I have a question though. Will Enforcer get a buff? Even when fully upgraded, it feels weak and underwhelming compared to much more common Rocket Launcher. Being Nuighmare-only weapon doesn't help it either.
VICE

Post by VICE »

Ikazu-san wrote:That's cool.
I have a question though. Will Enforcer get a buff? Even when fully upgraded, it feels weak and underwhelming compared to much more common Rocket Launcher. Being Nuighmare-only weapon doesn't help it either.
Enforcer is a highly situational weapon, I didn't want it to make RL obsolete, just to give you more options on how you spend your rocket ammo (namely, different attack patterns and less risk of splash damage).
Primary fire may get some extra impact damage to make it more appealing and more suited for bosses. The alt fires kills bosses pretty fast already, though. :)
Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Major Cooke »

Indeed, balancing competitive weapons is tough.

Take the Carrion Cannon vs. the BFG.

BFG clears rooms but doesn't always succeed in killing bosses. Carrion cannon fully charged explosion will kill everything near it, in about a double size + rocket explosion radius, but doesn't cost ammo until it latches onto something.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

VICE wrote: Image
Deadshot gets some new sprites
Please don't use that default hand with that gun angle, there are other mods that use it and it looks utterly stupid. :?
VICE

Post by VICE »

Oh crap, I think you're right. I only now realized what angle this hand is originally for.
Back to the hand resource thread then.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Question; is it supposed to be possible to get every single upgrade by the end of the game?

I can tell you right now that it is impossible to do in 1 playthrough on D1 and D2 due to a shortage of Praetor Tokens and some credits. Even more so when not using the overkill variant of the default maps for Brutal Doom.
VICE

Post by VICE »

Valherran wrote:Question; is it supposed to be possible to get every single upgrade by the end of the game?
I don't think so. What I'm aiming for is to make every megawad run a bit different and encourage the player to specialize in different abilities and weapons every time (since what you can upgrade depends of what weapons and component items you've found). I guess you could call it a roguelike element of sorts.

It's probably possible to get everything in a megawad like DUMP 3 or a slaughter-type megawad, but since HF at its core is a randomspawner mod, It's highly dependent on the maps you're playing and exactly what the mapper decided to place in their map.

I'm tweaking the spawn rates a little with every version as I playtest it myself and get feedback from others. If you feel like certain things spawn too often/not enough, tell me about it so it can be considered. Keep in mind, I have no intention of making all the upgrades possible with a standard campaign of Doom1 / Doom2, especially since I aim to add even more upgrades in the future.
I'm not even sure that would be possible without tweaking the costs of D4D's native upgrades - that's something I'm not even going to touch.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”