[released] [Wolf3D] Green Arrow

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
doomjedi

[released] [Wolf3D] Green Arrow

Post by doomjedi »

Post by moderator permission (wildweasel):

Green Arrow is the latest mod by Team Raycast. Based on the Arrow comics and television show, you will be playing as Oliver Queen aka the Green Arrow. Forced to go on a mission by Amanda Waller, Oliver has to return to the island where he became the Arrow: Lian Yu, also known as Purgatory. A dangerous mission awaits...

Mod is standalone, no additional files or software are needed to run it.
Read "Read this!" section before playing.

Download (44 MB) : http://www.moddb.com/mods/green-arrow/d ... rrow-v101/

Coding by LinuxWolf,
Mapping by RonWolf and Serpens,
Art direction by DoomJedi
Story screens by Atina
Voices and music by Ronwolf.

The mod is absolutely free, as usual.
But in case you feel you'd want to support the team - you can donate here:
paypal.me/TeamR
Last edited by doomjedi on Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImpieTwo

Re: [released] [Wolf3D] Green Arrow

Post by ImpieTwo »

This looks pretty sweet. Post videos when you get a chance.
Ozymandias81
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Dudes have a look to this project... It is a jewel! Amazing work Team Raycast as always when it comes Wolfenstein 3d related stuff!
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

ImpieTwo wrote:This looks pretty sweet. Post videos when you get a chance.
Thank you :)

I did select screens to avoid visual and other spoilers...in game I promise you - you will be able to capture/see much nicer screenies :)
neoworm

Post by neoworm »

I am glad that he have the goatee. Because it's not Green Arrow without one.
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

neoworm wrote:I am glad that he have the goatee. Because it's not Green Arrow without one.
Yes, I agree :) Classic.
irukanjji

Post by irukanjji »

Video:

[youtube]https://youtu.be/S4ZX4EfJuh0[/youtube]
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

@ irukanjji : Post videos with just the video ID between the tags, like this:

Code: Select all

[youtube]S4ZX4EfJuh0[/youtube]

8-)
Bofubutt

Post by Bofubutt »

This is a really cool mod and has some really incredible features for a Wolf mod, but it just gets too freaking hard on the easiest difficulty. It might be more manageable if my bow didn't lower itself at the most inopportune moments (waiting for those freaking gas grenade guys to come around a corner, for instance), and I really don't like the level with the searchlights. But everything else I've played so far is great.
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

Thank you for the feedback and the kind words! :) :oops: 8-)
Bofubutt wrote:This is a really cool mod and has some really incredible features for a Wolf mod, but it just gets too freaking hard on the easiest difficulty.
I'm quite far from being a good player :oops: , and I did pass it on easiest difficulty - guys who know me as a player would say it's a good sign it's passable for everyone :lol:
From our previous mods we can see that same mod can be too easy for some and yet too hard for some. I'm sure there will be youtube guys making walkthrough of this on highest difficulty that will make it look easy with 10000% health and 100000 arrows, heh, for an example look at GarretChan videos on our "Legacy" mod, mod quite some moddb people literally begged me for cheats for, as being too hard on easiest difficulty :D

It does requires the right tactics and to be careful. Not classic "rush into a room and start blasting" mod, and guys who are used for more classic Wolf3D/Doom gameplay it's a bit hard to adjust. We had 4 fully external (objective) testers to play it and also finished it ourselves to see it's passable. None of the testers had complaints it's too hard.
It might be more manageable if my bow didn't lower itself at the most inopportune moments
That mechanics was last-moment change (but before external testing) to make the bow feel more like a bow. There are some downsides and related challenges, but I think overall it was worth it. To minimize the frustration we reset weapon alert timer on weapon change and upon being hit by an enemy (so you can fight back). I proposed to make it alerted as long as there are alerted enemies, but it was too messy coding-wise.
I really don't like the level with the searchlights.

Well, some liked it more , some did less...the idea itself is cool I think and the feeling it gives you, even those who liked it less - noted the originality.
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

After player report - updated the download to fix broken access to second secret level.
Zaratul

Post by Zaratul »

ECwolf compatibility in the future maybe?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Zaratul wrote:ECwolf compatibility in the future maybe?
Probably not going to happen. DoomJedi and company tend to do very complex source changes that can't be easily replicated with ECWolf. Assuming the source is open (which, if I remember correctly, it should be), nothing is stopping it from being compiled for another platform, if that's your motivation.
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

Zaratul wrote:ECwolf compatibility in the future maybe?
Is not planned, sorry :) We're working on next mods.

Those are 2 VERY different engines...and what advantage such compatibility will give it? It's standalone as is, runs on windows...
ECWolf doesn't even have parallaxed skies support...not to mention skyboxes or advanced shading engine we have here... It lacks most of the features Arrow mod has, maybe you underestimate the amount of custom code put into this. It's HUGE.

No, we do not share sources of our mods, never did (most if not almost all Wolf3D SDL mods released never released source to the public). Most of it is custom code, this mod took 2 years to make, with tons of work and tens of thousands lines of code, don't think there is much left from original Wolf4SDL. This is not a slight modification, it's almost full rewrite.
One can still write to LinuxWolf (our coder, only he has the source) and ask for the source. I don't think he'll share it, one will just have to sue us :) (...which will be very ungrateful for the free mods we make for retro gaming community, spending years of our lives)
It's LinuxWolf's code and years of daily work. For free. For a free mod we don't benefit from, just for community enjoyment. Regardless of that dry rules might say, and while I think it's okay to ask for the source, it would at least be rude to DEMAND it. To use hard fruits of LinuxWolf work for one's own modding benefits to make new cool spinoffs, cheats, and "lookalikes"/clones of our mod with not much personal effort, just riding someone's else's hard work.

We do allow credited use of custom art.
Zaratul

Post by Zaratul »

Thx for answering.No i fully respect You for hard work on this mod.Total conversions like this are very hard to make.I just asked a question because i like my widescreen,60 fps and KB+M controls in ECwolf. :)

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”