Gross Deutschland weapon pack v2.0 [WIP][FPStrategy]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
ZikShadow

Re: Gross Deutschland weapon pack v2.0 [WIP]

Post by ZikShadow »

Not perfect since i couldn't make the hands+anims perfectly fit the STG, but how about this?
Spoiler:
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Trigger finger is missed the trigger, but i'm sure it'll be fine in sprite!
ZikShadow

Post by ZikShadow »

Had a couple of these lying around as well.
Spoiler:
If you're wondering where they're from, it's Day of Defeat stuff.
I rigged them for an old Cry of Fear mod i made a long time ago (which then i rig again for the HGrunt-like animations).

http://www.moddb.com/mods/nostalgia

Good thing i still kept the backups.
Uberkreatur

Post by Uberkreatur »

ZikShadow wrote:Not exact, but i do have these.
Model with mp-40 also may be useful (at least for the player sprite).
ZikShadow wrote:Not perfect since i couldn't make the hands+anims perfectly fit the STG, but how about this?
Very good now. What soft was used for editing submodels? It seems, I can save tons of time if it will be possible to put mg-42 and flammer in hands without photoshopping each sprite.
Also, interesting model with player animations was founded here. Maybe useful too. Some animations (panzershreck, placing mg42 and mortar) based on player animations.
ZikShadow

Post by ZikShadow »

Uberkreatur wrote:What soft was used for editing submodels? It seems, I can save tons of time if it will be possible to put mg-42 and flammer in hands without photoshopping each sprite.
Since you already know about HLMV, i can already assume you know the basics (QC editing/SMDs/Decompiling/Compiling).
I use Milkshape3D for Gold/Source model editing (rigging other models in particular, not really great at actually making new ones).
Last edited by ZikShadow on Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Uberkreatur

Post by Uberkreatur »

Hmm, once ago I used milkshape to export 3ds from .mdl files. I will try experimenting with this.

Also, at one request alpha version tested with brutal doom. Not ideal, little glitchy, but in principle it works.
ImageImage
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Indeed it looks working and fine!

EDIT:
Spoiler: I also played a bit and got some gripes;
Uberkreatur

Post by Uberkreatur »

Captain J wrote:- Not sure i'm the only one whose having this problem, but when i use the warpgun at voxel modeled units like flak38, panzer and elefant, they goes fuzzy. Or should i say, half-transparent like sprite based units. And when they teleported out of the gun, they're still transparent.
Like this?
Spoiler:
What port did you use? GZdoom rendering of translucent voxels is very strange, and it ignores A_SetTranslucent(1.0) command.
I am planning to rework that, using temporary actors for displaying warped voxel units without affecting the alpha channel of main unit. That would fix rending problems.
Captain J wrote:- When panzer or elefant is destroyed, it literally blocks the way unlike flak38. It does't disappear and just keep standing.
Yes, and this is big conceptual problem. Destroyed elefant is extremely big object. It would be strange, if player could walk through so it. On the other hand it is dangerous for gameplay, because destroyed tank can block important door for example.
One way I see is to make tank corpses destroyable. Player's kampfpistole can mark target for panzershreck soldier, so corpse may be detroyed after 10 rockets for example. This is not so realistic, but can solve this problem without using passable 3d corpses.
Captain J wrote:- About panzer, its body is ridiculously thick and short. I don't think the real one was short like this, nor thick.
Really it was. German tanks all were relatively thick, but Luchs was especially. It is almost square if viewed from top.
Spoiler:
Thick tanks are very convenient for zdoom engine. I'm thinking of adding a Tiger1, which is also very thick for its length.
Uberkreatur wrote:- When i call support for Bf109, they doesn't drop the bombs and just ran away.
Yes, this is a "careful" variant of airstrike, where planes drop bombs only if enemy monster is near. It was made long time ago as patch for 1.0 version to reduce injuries units from friendly aircraft. It is hacky and unstable on some Zdoom versions, so I am planning to totally rework it, make more accurate ballistic targering and replace Bf109 with Ju87 "Stuka", which is more correct as a bomber.
Captain J wrote:- Plus, i think MP40 needs some replacement. It's directly from wildweasel's one of the old mod and the hands doesn't same as doomguy's at all. And i think the doom community already has some mp40 sprites lying around, so it won't be hard to find!
I haven't seen better version yet. All I seen is either crooked or without reloading animation. Maybe add doomguy's hands on current sprites?
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Uberkreatur wrote:What port did you use? GZdoom rendering of translucent voxels is very strange, and it ignores A_SetTranslucent(1.0) command.
I am planning to rework that, using temporary actors for displaying warped voxel units without affecting the alpha channel of main unit. That would fix rending problems.
I used latest version gzdoom-g2.3pre-123-gf1bb767. And it... Kinda works fine, but still not stable;
Screenshot_Doom_20160930_145432.png
Yes, and this is big conceptual problem. Destroyed elefant is extremely big object. It would be strange, if player could walk through so it. On the other hand it is dangerous for gameplay, because destroyed tank can block important door for example.
One way I see is to make tank corpses destroyable. Player's kampfpistole can mark target for panzershreck soldier, so corpse may be detroyed after 10 rockets for example. This is not so realistic, but can solve this problem without using passable 3d corpses.
Sounds like a good idea.
Really it was. German tanks all were relatively thick, but Luchs was especially. It is almost square if viewed from top.

Thick tanks are very convenient for zdoom engine. I'm thinking of adding a Tiger1, which is also very thick for its length.
Well i'll be damned... Maybe i misunderstood the wrong tank. History is weird, man.

Anyway about adding tiger, be my guest! This mod is still not perfect enough without her, if you ask me!
Yes, this is a "careful" variant of airstrike, where planes drop bombs only if enemy monster is near. It was made long time ago as patch for 1.0 version to reduce injuries units from friendly aircraft. It is hacky and unstable on some Zdoom versions, so I am planning to totally rework it, make more accurate ballistic targering and replace Bf109 with Ju87 "Stuka", which is more correct as a bomber.
Ahh yes, i had some friendly bombing problems when using it while playing the older version. Even though they're not bombing me, they doesn't bomb the enemies anyways. So yeah, hope you can fix it and adding stuka sounds like good and reasonable idea!
I haven't seen better version yet. All I seen is either crooked or without reloading animation. Maybe add doomguy's hands on current sprites?
Well, you can rotate the sprites by using Rotsprite. But if you says so.

Anyway is there will be some new units like you told you and new weapons the player will have? Only MP40 and grenade is not kinda helpful in map with monster hordes, thanks!

But still, it's getting good!
Last edited by Captain J on Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
ZikShadow

Post by ZikShadow »

Uberkreatur wrote: I haven't seen better version yet. All I seen is either crooked or without reloading animation. Maybe add doomguy's hands on current sprites?
There's this.
HexenMapper wrote: Image

Also, a few interesting things.
Turbo wrote: Image
Rise of the Triad MP40 edit.

Hitler STBAR face sprites: The result of a morbid sense of humour and lack of sleep.
This was not made for anything serious, and it is not intended to offend anybody.
Download the WAD here
Uberkreatur

Post by Uberkreatur »

Captain J wrote:Anyway is there will be some new units like you told you and new weapons the player will have? Only MP40 and grenade is not kinda helpful in map with monster hordes, thanks!
At least 88mm flak, Panzer IV, Flakpanzer (with quadruple 2 cm autocannon), Hetzer, Flammpanzer, Tiger, Maus and Flettner Fl 282 helicopter (yes, Germany used some helicopters in WW2), also some more artillery. But adding heavy handweapons for player could make him totally imbalanced. General officer is not a independent supersoldier, he is foremost a brain. But player is really easily vulnerable in hard battles, so I am planning to add this half-track as frequent special unit, which may become important gameplay part.
Player would be able to hide inside it, to restore health and ammo there. So, it will be possible to survive in very dangerous situations.
ZikShadow wrote:There's this.
Mmm, I have seen this somewhere. Not sure, that traced correctly, but there is something very bad with perspective here. It looks more like M3 SMG or something with unproportional short barrel. This is often problem with full drawn sprites not based on photo or 3d render.
torridgristle

Post by torridgristle »

Uberkreatur wrote:Mmm, I have seen this somewhere. Not sure, that traced correctly, but there is something very bad with perspective here. It looks more like M3 SMG or something with unproportional short barrel. This is often problem with full drawn sprites not based on photo or 3d render.
I'm not 100% on it but none of these lines make any sense to me. Also, I think it's a (probably drawn over) screenshot of the MP40 from Wolfenstein (2009) so the perspective is technically correct due to being a 3D render, it's just that the main body is up close to the camera so its length is exaggerated more than the barrel.

Here's another MP40, model from Enemy Front, taken from a similar angle.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Yeah, i don't think the angle is all bad. But the choice is yours regardless!

Oh, also about the warpgun, i felt really weird that HL2 gravity gun was actually a warpgun in this mod. So it gave me the idea; since the mod is all about ww2 and nazi fantasies, why not use my 2009 Wolfenstein tesla weapons here?

And sadly they doesn't includes muzzle flash, but i'm sure you can make it easily. Right?
Uberkreatur

Post by Uberkreatur »

torridgristle wrote:I'm not 100% on it but none of these lines make any sense to me. Also, I think it's a (probably drawn over) screenshot of the MP40 from Wolfenstein (2009) so the perspective is technically correct due to being a 3D render, it's just that the main body is up close to the camera so its length is exaggerated more than the barrel.
Here you can see, that angle is markedly different.
Spoiler:
Enemy Front version looks like more similar, but you can see some difference in the proportions. Muzzle-sight and barrel base are visually smaller. (In wolfenstein 2009 version too.) It seems that visual lines converge at another point here. Perhaps these inaccuracies created an effect of perspective distortion.
Captain J wrote:Oh, also about the warpgun, i felt really weird that HL2 gravity gun was actually a warpgun in this mod. So it gave me the idea; since the mod is all about ww2 and nazi fantasies, why not use my 2009 Wolfenstein tesla weapons here?
Actual sprite makes too strong associations with known "nazi bfg", this would be same weird as making warpgun from doom bfg.) But stylistics is good. Maybe if combine it with portal gun elements it will be better solution.
Wolfbrf

Post by Wolfbrf »

cool mod.. 9.7/10
i just dont like the gun sprite(cartoon), because the soldiers are 3d like sprites. maybe in next version can be good if the player can hold more weapons(not a powerfull ones, just a rifle for long range, or a shotgun, maybe lmg with small clip).

also, these soldies/vehicle sprites can fit well on real guns ww2 mod.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”