MetaDoom v7.1 "Ghost" - This Mod Has Moved. See OP for details.

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
rabid marine

Re: [WIP] MetaDoom - Techdemo 2 "Kane" Released! (p29)

Post by rabid marine »

lizardcommando wrote:I know this is not related to MetaDoom, but does anyone know if the latest SVN release for GZDoom is still having that issue where the screen is black, but you can still hear the sounds and move around in the menu?
THREAD DERAILMENT ALERT THREAD DERAILMENT ALERT. ALL ADMINS REPORT TO PAGE 29 I REPEAT ALL ADMINS REPORT TO PAGE 29. OFFENDER, PREPARE FOR IMMEDIATE EXECUTION.

ᵂʰᵃᵗ ᵗʰᵉ ʰᵉˡˡ ᶦˢ ʷʳᵒⁿᵍ ʷᶦᵗʰ ᵐᵉ

(User was warned for this post. -ww)
Last edited by rabid marine on Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carbine Dioxide

Post by Carbine Dioxide »

He probably did it to tag the thread, and play the mod with the right build so there's no errors. Doesn't seem like a big problem to me, at least, not as big as it's gotten in this thread before.
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

rabid marine wrote:
lizardcommando wrote:I know this is not related to MetaDoom, but does anyone know if the latest SVN release for GZDoom is still having that issue where the screen is black, but you can still hear the sounds and move around in the menu?
THREAD DERAILMENT ALERT THREAD DERAILMENT ALERT. ALL ADMINS REPORT TO PAGE 29 I REPEAT ALL ADMINS REPORT TO PAGE 29. OFFENDER, PREPARE FOR IMMEDIATE EXECUTION.
Ok guy, calm down.

EDIT: And nope, just tested the latest SVN, it didn't seem to work. Although I can see the mouse cursor, so there's that... :/
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

you may wanna go to the GZDoom forums for that. the latest SVN works just fine on my end.

is it possible to perhaps have boss enemies drop a lot of Argent when killing them, given they're cybernetically enhanced and all? it would also encourage more heavier BFG usage against them, since i tend to run dry hitting cyberdemons with it if they're standing in positions that makes me not able to pinpoint the blast directly towards them. also, the alt-fire is woefully underpowered.

the Gauss Cannon has some annoying damage randomization that can lead to Revenants sometimes not getting killed in two shots.

perhaps give the quick melee key a bit of a damage boost when under berserk? i always feel as if it should deal more damage than the regular punches, for when you really need to deck a pinky in the face.

also, another D4 thing, perhaps have enemies yield HP loot when you're really low on health? it's a really risky business to try and get health from them with the melee when you're so low on it, it'd be nice as some sort of life insurance.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Viscra Maelstrom wrote:perhaps give the quick melee key a bit of a damage boost when under berserk? i always feel as if it should deal more damage than the regular punches, for when you really need to deck a pinky in the face.
The Quick Melee key is faster and more damaging when under Berserk.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Played it with Gzdoom g2.2pre-2054-g302f592, i can see everything. The mouse and the title screen etc. Don't know what causes the problem, tho.
rabid marine wrote:*DRAMA SLIP*
*Pzzt* Put down your gun. I repeat, Put down your gun. It's not a serious situation, over. *Pzzt*
Redead-ITA

Post by Redead-ITA »

For me it happend to have the same error like as Lizard commando has
But after i retried to reopen gzdoom with the mod it instantly got fixed
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Take GZDoom viewport issues here.
Hellstorm Archon
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Hellstorm Archon »

D'oh, I should update my SVN on my Mac, but the last commit was over two weeks ago.

I'm sad now.
Viscra Maelstrom

i can't seem to find the Shield Wall at all. where is it supposed to spawn? is it rare?

the tesla rocket trailers hurt you, and don't give score when you kill enemies with it. the explosion does though.

could the revenant homing be a little bit sluggish for the regular revenants? it's infuriatingly hard to shake those things off, especially in tight quarters. i think it'd be better if this pinpoint accuracy was reserved for a higher tier revvie.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Viscra Maelstrom wrote:i can't seem to find the Shield Wall at all. where is it supposed to spawn? is it rare?
I've probably forgotten to add it to the spawner. It pops up when you use IDKFA, though.
Viscra Maelstrom wrote:the tesla rocket trailers hurt you, and don't give score when you kill enemies with it. the explosion does though.
Thanks for the report re: Tesla Rocket Trails and score. I'm not sure how to handle this, but I'll have a bit of a poke.
Viscra Maelstrom wrote:could the revenant homing be a little bit sluggish for the regular revenants? it's infuriatingly hard to shake those things off, especially in tight quarters. i think it'd be better if this pinpoint accuracy was reserved for a higher tier revvie.
Do the Revenant homing missiles currently act differently from the default outside of the beeping sound? I'll be honest and say I just pulled out my old ReDoom code for them.

Thanks for the patience with these bugs, all both of the people who play and acknowledge the existence of this mod!
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Vanilla Regular Revenant's missile has 10 Speed, so is Metadoom's. Not kidding. Same ticks, and the same speed and damage.

BUT, metadoom's missile has faster turning speed than vanilla one. So no wonder why it's more threatening although somethings are the same.
Viscra Maelstrom

yeah, the missile's turning arc is a bit loose in the original, so you could much more easily sidestep away from it, or duck and avoid it entirely in ZDoom. that's pretty much impossible to do now because of how accurately it tracks your movement.

by the way, maybe the holy water pistol could appear at a few different places? usually, it seems that you get shotguns from shotgunners, which can't give you the holy water pistol, and i've had runs where i can go through over half a megawad and not get the holy water pistol because of this. at least having it spawn in lieu of the SSG if you already have it, given the regular shotgun spawn can give you an SSG now?
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Viscra Maelstrom wrote:yeah, the missile's turning arc is a bit loose in the original, so you could much more easily sidestep away from it, or duck and avoid it entirely in ZDoom. that's pretty much impossible to do now because of how accurately it tracks your movement.
Fixed, thanks. The Revenant's missiles now imitate their original code in behavior while keeping the BEEP BEEP BEEP to warn you of homers.

I haven't done much work on this since Tech Demo 2, since everything I want to do requires a whole lot of work for something with so few players. It's a pinch discouraging!
TonicBH

Post by TonicBH »

Registered just to post a few questions/suggestions:

* Are the Tesla Rockets and Grenades supposed to share the same ammo pool? Since both of them can be picked up, it just seems to add grenades to both types once you have both Tesla and Grenades.
* This probably is a non-issue since many modern Doom players use mouselook, but the Gauss Cannon doesn't auto-aim at higher foes if mouselook is off and auto-aim is on.
* The chaingun in its current state chews through bullets way too quickly. Perhaps tone down the speed and give the bullet hose speed of the primary to the secondary instead?
* Have you considered the Doom 3 pistol or the Doom Beta/Doom II RPG assault rifle as a low-tier bullet weapon? It seems weird to grab ammo from zombiemen when you don't have a gun you can immediately use bullets with unless you stumble upon a machine gunner/chaingunner at the same time...
* I love the melee to gain health mechanic, but the default punch is too slow. Most of the time I see no reason to use it as I'll punch even a low-tier enemy, only for me to take more damage than it would've just to kill them normally, for a meager health gain. Having the enemies fly a bit too far back also leads into its own problem...
* Knockback with melee might need some adjustment. While enemies being knocked back helps (keeps demons/hellhounds off you for a spell), the numbers should be tweaked a little. Maybe bigger foes shouldn't go as far, or don't move at all. Makes follow-up punches with Berserk a bit harder to do without potentially taking more damage.

I love the idea of this and it's been one of the few current gameplay mods I've been playing regularly. I hope this post isn't too demanding or nitpicky!

Return to “Gameplay Mods”