WadSmoosh - merge all official id releases into one PK3 IWAD

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
cambertian
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: WadSmoosh - merge all official id releases into one PK3

Post by cambertian »

JPL wrote:Dunno if anyone has noticed yet, but doom_complete.pk3 includes a custom ENDOOM, made with an unreleased version of my ASCII art tool, Playscii. My ultimate aim is to support ENDOOM import and export along with tons of other ASCII art formats, so soon Playscii will be a viable option for making custom ENDOOMs. Does anyone care about this? I know ENDOOM is off by default and only shows up in Windows for ZDoom...
I definitely care about it! The only options for ENDOOM lumps at the moment seem to be an old DOS program and a program that isn't specialized for it. It'd also be good for non-ZDoom ports like Chocolate Doom.

As for Wadsmooth, I've experienced no hiccups (though I haven't been checking too thoroughly.) Keep up the good work!
Gez

Post by Gez »

Also, an ANSI screen is used for Heretic's startup.
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

JPL wrote:This looks awesome, better than what I put together! Is this just a TITLEPIC and M_DOOM replacement? If so send me PNGs and I'll include them.
Thanks :D I based them off the PS3's XMB icon and background. The background is literally E4's INTERPIC reappropriated. Took all of about 5 minutes :P

In work right now, but as soon as I get home I'll post them.
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

To be fair, that M_DOOM that was used in the picture doesn't look all that impressive. Maybe someone can use the same idea and make a neater variant? I do like the TITLEPIC replacement, as it's (to me) one of the most rememberable images from Doom.
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

Well, here they are anyway, and a Steam grid for good measure:

I'll see if I can clean up the M_DOOM a bit later.

EDIT: Well, it's a bit cleaner now:
Attachments
m_doom.png
m_doom.png (6.06 KiB) Viewed 4296 times
NeuralStunner

Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Hellser wrote:I do like the TITLEPIC replacement, as it's (to me) one of the most rememberable images from Doom.
Would it be too much to supply some different title pics? (And supportiung user-supplied ones too, of course.) Might as well let users customize the look to their liking!
Hellser
Global Moderator

Post by Hellser »

I agree with NS, maybe a method for the user to supply certain graphics that they can use. Also, whipped this up after Scalliano's idea.

To me, it's a bit cleaner and fits nice. But hey, each their own!

Edit: A nicer version included. Looks better in game.
Attachments
Rounded, nicer version
Rounded, nicer version
M_DOOM.png (26.09 KiB) Viewed 4272 times
M_DOOM.png
M_DOOM.png (26.14 KiB) Viewed 4274 times
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

Was actually gonna go back and do that exact thing. Cheers for saving me the work! :D
JimpArgon

Post by JimpArgon »

Hellser wrote:I agree with NS, maybe a method for the user to supply certain graphics that they can use. Also, whipped this up after Scalliano's idea.

To me, it's a bit cleaner and fits nice. But hey, each their own!

Edit: A nicer version included. Looks better in game.
Those look great man.
Hellser
Global Moderator

Post by Hellser »

Another modified version. Closer to what "Classic Complete" looks like. Here's also a demo of what it looks like in game.

I think this would be considered final, if OP wants to use this, or include the feature that NS suggested.. then anyone can use it. :)
Attachments
M_DOOM3.png
M_DOOM3.png (27.5 KiB) Viewed 4212 times
MG_Man

Post by MG_Man »

The TITLEPIC from Scalliano shouldn't need to be custom added, it's just the Doom 1 Episode 4 intermission background.

Anyway, beyond that I made a custom title screen that cycles through all the games' TITLEPICs and randomly selects the songs used in Doom 1 and 2's demos, since hearing D_INTRO loop constantly was getting a bit grating.

Probably much more of a subjective change than you want to include, but I share it nonetheless.
doom_complete_titlemap.pk3
(210.31 KiB) Downloaded 247 times
Also experimenting with another custom TITLEPIC based on this art, trying to make it fit the Doom palette better right now. Just had a thought where in the TITLEMAP it could start at the bottom of the full art and then scroll up to the top.
newtitlepic.png
newtitlepic.png (93.52 KiB) Viewed 4054 times
AdmiralAjax

Post by AdmiralAjax »

I guess I had some weird expectations but I thought that this would have all the levels one after another. Would making all the episodes mesh together be an unreasonable request? I've never done anything like this so I wouldn't know what it would take to do so.
Gutawer
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gutawer »

AdmiralAjax wrote:I guess I had some weird expectations but I thought that this would have all the levels one after another. Would making all the episodes mesh together be an unreasonable request? I've never done anything like this so I wouldn't know what it would take to do so.
There's no reason you couldn't do it, and with MAPINFO it wouldn't even take that long, but the question is less about the technical aspect of it, and more about the game design. Doom 2 wasn't designed with the player having a BFG in Entryway in mind. It would likely throw off the balance, which is likely why people won't be bothered to do it.
IdiotBitz
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by IdiotBitz »

AdmiralAjax wrote:I guess I had some weird expectations but I thought that this would have all the levels one after another. Would making all the episodes mesh together be an unreasonable request? I've never done anything like this so I wouldn't know what it would take to do so.
Well, if you want, you could always just type in "changemap (insert-map-name-here)" when you reach the end of an episode.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Gutawer wrote:Doom 2 wasn't designed with the player having a BFG in Entryway in mind.
Then why did they put one? :P

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”