Operation: Gambler (My first Doom level!) V2 released

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
YoBadMama

Operation: Gambler (My first Doom level!) V2 released

Post by YoBadMama »

Hey guys, in a fit of inspiration, I just got done making my first level for Doom and I'd like to share it with you guys! I'd love to hear any feedback you guys have, because I'd like to make Doom maps more often and I want to get better. I experimented with lighting, outdoors, and even made a small building in the outdoor area. I also included a very minimal indoor area. Hope you guys have fun playing it, because making it was a blast!

Also, this mod was made with Hideous Destructor in mind, so that's why it's very simple to beat in vanilla.

Version 2!
-Added more to the indoor area
-Got rid of the invisible wall that blocked the cave, the other now has a door blocking it
-The computer now opens the wooden door blocking one of the caves, which now leads to the end of the level
-More monsters for higher difficulties
-Trecherous lighting
-More pickups
-Surprises

PLOT: The UAC has finally tracked down the smuggling ring that has been selling advanced weaponry and captive demons to militia groups. You have been sent to the area through a series of tunnels that drops down into the complex. Your job is to eliminate the smugglers and reach the computer within their base to find out who is supplying them and to open the door in the courtyard for your escape.

Screenshots!

Download Version 1: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-2OG ... FFULXh2QW8

Download Version 2 (recommended): https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-2OG ... 0RmZ0dVZGc
Last edited by YoBadMama on Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mumblemumble

Re: Operation Gambler (My first Doom level!)

Post by mumblemumble »

Not a bad map, but extremely brief, and easy. Only died once, and this was because I was a dumbass not checking my flanks. Everything has a bit TOO MUCH cover and easy approach. The only exception is the door at the end of the valley, where you have no cover to open it, but theres nothing there any way.

Its really not bad for a first level though.

I would keep in mind a few things, even for HD, loot is nice. Stuff can be much harder, even for HD. Areas that are visible, but blocked only by invisible walls are extremely disappointing, and make levels seem even smaller. I would make the levels larger, perhaps more verticle, with more challenges. 10 monsters really isn't enough for HD, imo. Keep in mind, HD has sprinting, dodging, bullets that can be dodged (yes, they can) and other features. Also, hitscans are the biggest threat generally, so throwing in a few hell knights, imps, pinkies, even revenants on some places would make it funner. Most of this was walking around with the occasional pot shot at a zombie or imp.

I would keep it up, and maybe expand this, or make more.
YoBadMama

Post by YoBadMama »

Thanks for the feedback!

I'll admit, the goal I was heading for was more of an introductory level for HD, but in hindsight, there wasn't many challenges that complimented the mod too well, and I feel I was too worried about the overall look and feel of the level. I'll definitely expand on the indoor area some more. As for the invisible walls, I felt guilty adding them in, but there weren't many decorations in the vanilla Doom files that would make much sense blocking a roadway. I'll have to look around Realm 667 and find some decorations to add into my levels.

Thanks again for the feedback!
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Yay, HD-dedicated mapping! \o/ I'll have to give this a try later this weekend.

Are there difficulty settings for this?
YoBadMama

Post by YoBadMama »

Sadly, not yet. I'll be updating the level with some more monsters for harder difficulties and expand on some parts in a few days.
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Just had a playthrough.

Yeah, definitely needs either an actua area in that little cave or something unequivocally making it impossible to access (cave-in, gate,

Feels like it's really asking for, on top of more monsters at higher skills (what's current is good for easy btw, I think):

- requiring you to return to start to extract once you've accessed the computer (and more dudes come in)
- extra big monsters on co-op
- deathmatch

Really liking the overall design though. Short, sweet and solid.
YoBadMama

Re: Operation: Gambler (My first Doom level!)

Post by YoBadMama »

Version 2 is now out. Fixed a few issues and expanded the indoor area a bit.
Matt

Re: Operation: Gambler (My first Doom level!) V2 released

Post by Matt »

That is a huge improvement. Would be nice if accessing the computer had some feedback, say a message telling you to go to the (new) extraction point. (Still kinda want a final gun battle in the courtyard on your way out - on the way in it's good as it is)
YoBadMama

Re: Operation: Gambler (My first Doom level!) V2 released

Post by YoBadMama »

Vaecrius wrote:That is a huge improvement. Would be nice if accessing the computer had some feedback, say a message telling you to go to the (new) extraction point. (Still kinda want a final gun battle in the courtyard on your way out - on the way in it's good as it is)
Yeah, I've been meaning to look into how to make messages appear and making monsters spawn on the way back out. Glad to have some feedback from the actual HD creator! I'll definitely keep trying my best! :D

Return to “Levels”