DUMP Episode 3: BFG Edition [map + weapons released]

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
FaggoStorm

Re: DUMP Episode 3: BFG Edition [Test builds pg. 55/56]

Post by FaggoStorm »

simpletonnn wrote:
FaggoStorm wrote: HOW LOW CAN SOMEONE GO
about the same level as you considering you have the audacity to KEEP ARGUING even though it is very apparent that nobody likes what is happening right now
please just quit throwing your gorilla shit at everyone
EDIT: After reading the argument part, I think it is better to end this in a peacefull way. I did the deserve the warning.

NOW BACK TO THE MEMES ABOUT DUMPING MAPS AND PLAYING PING PONG OR SOME SHIT

How many Dumps are you guys going to make? Are you going to make them until the fall of the Doom community, or is it going to end sooner or later?

User was warned about this post -Mod
Last edited by FaggoStorm on Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

Let's end the argument here and now and get back to DUMP stuff.
ZZYZX

Post by ZZYZX »

NeuralStunner wrote:ZDoom Modding: Where the workarounds to the workarounds have five people recommending gross A_Explode A_RadiusGive hacks.
Yes because A_RadiusGive is the best thing ever implemented in ZDoom since 2010. Well probably after named scripts. :P
And not gross at all.
charcola

Post by charcola »

wildweasel wrote:
ijon wrote:for the kurdd: does this have a slightly randomized fire time, or is the sound just playing tricks on me? also why can't I use the airhorn as a melee weapon :(
If I remember right, I added a random 1-to-3-tic frame between firing and pumping so it wouldn't sound so stiff and rhythmic.

Pretty much the entire purpose of the altfire is to either alert everybody in the room (of limited use due to the cell phone being a long animation) or to make the player go "huh, i guess there really isn't an altfire on this one."

To whoever it was earlier (I'm sorry, I've forgotten your name already, I'm not great with names to begin with) that said the Kurdd was "pedestrian" - I agree. That was the entire point of the weapon. Yholl told me that all the guns he'd received so far were really wacky and off-the-wall, and I made it my mission to just make a regular, dependable gun-type gun. In retrospect, maybe I should have aimed at the SSG slot instead, since Shivers' shotgun does pretty much the same thing mine does except his actually has a functional altfire...
Yeah that was me with the pedestrian comment, and despite there being lots of weapons that are cooler or maybe even objectively better, I like that there are shotguns that is just shotgun. I mean, not that the shotgun tier really needs it, as the shotgun+uzi, wingman, and mosin all do basic shotgun things quite well. The SSG is, yeah, I probably would have appreciated more options closer to stock weapon in that tier, there were more than a few times where I whipped out simpleton's SSG and used it because despite its problems, it works like a SSG, sometimes I just wanted to throw a bunch of lead into a hell knight and it does that, even if it might take a few extra shells to finish the job.
The Ultimate DooMer

Post by The Ultimate DooMer »

Is there a deadline for this? Just seems to be getting dragged out atm :(
Jimmy wrote:Are maps still relevant? :P
Yeah, I was kinda sceptical too about guns being allowed in this time :/ (I can't help noticing it's the main cause of the delays)
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

The GOH-12 has updated once again! This time it has a more appropriate tractor beam sound courtesy of FreeDoom's plasma rifle. I'm not sure why I didn't think of that sooner. :p

I'm going to be honest and say the hostility and bitterness surrounding the project over the last few pages is off putting? The entire point of DUMP is to...well, dump something. :V The fact that so many people were able to come together and produce a bunch of content is great, even if most of it has problems. And yeah, I'll definitely take a practical if ugly and basic weapon over one that's complicated and gimmicky.

That's all I'll say about this now that things have cooled down.
ijon

Post by ijon »

Mor'Ladim wrote: Iron Annihilator: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gmda2gkj11k83 ... 2.wad?dl=0
-Weapon spin up and spin down times decreased. (Feels weird now)
-Missing frames added to spin down.
-Commented out tracers because it was odd to most, apparently?!
-Increased explosion damage of Pest Missiles to 110.
I'll try this in like half an hour, but the reasons the tracers felt weird is because they didn't actually correspond with the bullets being fired. I have a script that can do that, one that I use in quite a few places, if you want it.

also really all the wind-down needed was A_WeaponReady(WRF_NOBOB | WRF_NOFIRE). that small thing does wonders for weapon responsiveness.

(edit: I'd also throw some A_Refire in the wind-down so you don't have to spin down the thing completely, then spin it back up if you want to save a bit of ammo by letting go of the trigger for a few tics)

and what I'd have done with the annihilator was make only every other shot use ammo, keeping DPS the same but bringing ammo efficiency up to par.
Too lazy to change version numbers. I am also still working on my new weapons. At the moment, the first to be finished should be the chainsaw tier weapon.
good, dump needs more chainsaw slots.
NeuralStunner

Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

ZZYZX wrote:Yes because A_RadiusGive is the best thing ever implemented in ZDoom since 2010. Well probably after named scripts. :P
And not gross at all.
Heh... It's still got a huge flaw that makes it unsuitable as a replacement for those old hacks, for one thing.

Also how can you not call this gross? (Sorry comet, you're cool and all but it's true.)
Beed28

Post by Beed28 »

Here's the second WIP. Some changes here and there, but the most notable change is the fact that the Lost Soul is now visible at your side. :) You won't believe the effort it took to make it work for hubs, though.

I will still need some hand sprites for commanding him, though.
Attachments
Beed28_DUMP3Weapon_PetLostSoul_WIP2.wad
(93.33 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
JimpArgon

Post by JimpArgon »

When is the deadline for this?
ijon

Post by ijon »

JimpArgon wrote:When is the deadline for this?
supposedly almost two months ago

not that that stopped anyone
ZZYZX

Post by ZZYZX »

NeuralStunner wrote:Also how can you not call this gross? (Sorry comet, you're cool and all but it's true.)
Tbh that only sounds complicated. Once mastered you write things like that in 2 minutes. Also you don't need an item, you need 3 ACS_NamedExecuteWithResult calls. One of them being in CustomInventory and calling SetActorState on initial actor (the "chain" that animates when people touch it). What makes it gross is artificially increased complexity by adding some echolocations... and whatever other things suggested.

Basically, the relatively stable ACS-RadiusGive technique that lets you reference both target actor and RadiusGive source actor is as follows: (not tested/compiled)
Spoiler:
Also in this case you could also do VectorAngle() on actor's velocity in ChainChecker_Pickup, and make the chain swing in the direction it was kicked in.

I'll end with the offtopic though, sorry :P
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

Complexity is not always what makes something gross. Some of the grossest hacks are one or two lines...

To be fair, the Neural Stunner's code is pretty gross on its own, for lack of HITTRACER. (Which was made to avoid this kind of grossness, but y'know, version limitations.)

Also since I guess nobody has any answers for my mapping queries, I'm going to do whatever and everyone will have to live with it. :twisted:
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

The Ultimate DooMer wrote:Is there a deadline for this? Just seems to be getting dragged out atm :(
Jimmy wrote:Are maps still relevant? :P
Yeah, I was kinda sceptical too about guns being allowed in this time :/ (I can't help noticing it's the main cause of the delays)
The delays aren't really specifically due to the guns, if anything the maps has been causing the most delays (I'm waiting on the hub map to finish before the next test build).

To be completely honest, if one thing had to be pointed at as the "cause" of the delays, it's the sheer number of things. We have 120 entries this time, total--between 80 maps, 40 weapons, and more additions people are doing, that's more than DUMP 1 and DUMP 2 combined.
This was the cause of the delays in DUMP 2 as well. Updating a lot of stuff takes time!

So in DUMP 4, expect to see a cap on submissions. Or a limited map slot number. Or a competition of everyone submitting to try and make it in a few slots. :P
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

TerminusEst13 wrote:So in DUMP 4, expect to see a cap on submissions. Or a limited map slot number. Or a competition of everyone submitting to try and make it in a few slots. :P
I could understand a cap of 1 submission per person, but any form of competition would befoul the entire point of the project.

Return to “Levels”