!!ATTENTION!! - Please Secure Your Passwords!

We sure do have a lot of rules and guidelines threads - find them all here, and please make sure you've read them! Also, community-wide announcements (that aren't major ZDoom News) go here as well.
Woolie Wool
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux, Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: !!ATTENTION!! - Please Secure Your Passwords!

Post by Woolie Wool »

Apparently demanding Brutal Doom compatibility for everything, insulting Zandronum and its users, and accusing legitimate forum members of being hackers in disguise.
Big C

Post by Big C »

As well as making weird sexual advances on Coraline, insulting 3DGE, aaaaand throwing bitchfits in the DoomRLA thread, I think.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

haven't noticed any unusual activity on my account, but my password was a incredibly weak password from since i had first signed up here, yikes. i guess i wasn't considered an easy target or something.

password has been changed to something stronger now, and i also took the chance to change my email address to the one i go by nowadays.
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

Graf Zahl wrote:That's not particularly good, ranking 'Password' higher than 'grmblfxgrrr'
For what it's worth, their system judges how the password is constructed (mixed cases = better) rather than the password itself. (It would need access to a dictionary to actually judge the quality of, say, "bAnaNA". But even that wouldn't help judge passwords that are somehow related to your username or target site!)

About 16 characters of highly obfuscated leetspeek isn't a bad place to start. If you're really paranoid, use random ACSII and a password vault to manage it.
DemonSlayer
Location: Resides in a base on Mars guarding the world from the Ream of Hell

Post by DemonSlayer »

I know I have put a strong password on my account, but just in case what are some things I can do as related to this forum to see if I have been compromised?
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

You can check your recent post history. (Access your public profile by clicking your username in the "who is online" list at the bottom of the forum, then click "Search user posts" under your statistics.) If you find stupid inflammatory comments, then you've either been hijacked, or you just need to knock that off. :P

General note: This isn't something you should be doing to other users, by the way. They'll be taken care of if something happens.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

My password has more than 2 symbols in it, more than 2 uppercase, more than 2 lowercase, more than 2 numbers, and is way more than 10 characters long.

If they manage to guess what it is, they're determined.
Last edited by Rachael on Wed May 25, 2016 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Yeah, same here, might as well hand them over the account with a ribbon on top if they guess it.

To stay a little on-topic - To the hardcore-password fans: if you don't want to forget it but are too afraid to have it on a physical data carrier, say, a piece of paper, you can always encrypt your passwords and write down the decryption details. The thing about encryption is that your only practical limitation is your imagination. Or you can simply use one of the many, many encryption methods currently available. The cracker needs to know too many details to even consider starting the process of cracking.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

BTW - to add to this - make sure you secure your email, too, and make sure it has a strong password. Because if it doesn't, the most complex passwords in the world on other sites (like this one) will never save you.
Big C

Post by Big C »

Just gonna say this punk is getting stale really fast and his parents should be ashamed of themselves for raising such a good-for-nothing.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Indeed, Eruanna. For easier access one could use a tiered password system, such as:
- E-mail (best password)
- Skype/Important social media (also very good password)
- Cloud storage (good password)
- Gaming stuff/forums (average to good password)
- Unimportant nonsense that nobody cares about losing (self-explanatory)
FaggoStorm

Post by FaggoStorm »

My password is in my native language, PORTUGUESE, not only that but I use some capital letters and numbers, so Im almost untouchable... I THINK
Remmirath

Post by Remmirath »

My password is more than 16 characters long, has a shitload of symbols, uppercase and lowercase letters, and has been generated through a random algorithm. It's almost impossible to guess, and even I can't remember it. But I can confim that some shithead tried to bruteforce the password outta my account, as I had to do the captcha thingie last week.
FaggoStorm

Post by FaggoStorm »

Is there any idea of who could be making this atacks?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I think, more than anything, these people are after attention. I've dealt with similar scumbags in the Skulltag community, and they're really after the "oohs" and "aahs" that they get from people who don't know better than to simply ignore them.

Return to “Rules and Forum Announcements”