D4D - Announcement in 1st post (Jan 4th 2017)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
DBThanatos

Re: D4D - Released! (New Version Jul-21, pg1)

Post by DBThanatos »

The tactical scope costing 2 ammo was actually a bug i fixed in the internal version.

About the explosion of the micro missiles, not sure about that one, will have to recheck the original game and compare them.

The stun bomb, will compare also to the original game. But i rexall it being rather heavy too, which make sense, since it's a weapon for close quarters mostly.

About the bfg, in which situation are you testing it? It being a big issue never jumped out during the beta testing phase. Did you fire it at a bunch of monsters or you got this performance drop while shooting it at a wall? I'd love to know that to start figuring where the performance hit is taking place.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

it's when the rays is hitting everything in a wide area. a good example is Map32 from Doom 2. fire a BFG shot into the open area, and run alongside the shot. the FPS will drop heavily as the ball hits all the SS with its rays. mind, i don't really see the gibs at that point, as they're mostly obscured by the columns in the room, and still heavy lag. it disperses after the ball explodes, but when you look at Xaser's ARGENT, his BFG rays don't lag nearly as much hitting a bunch of enemies. so there's definitely something with the rays causing this issue, i think.

the Micro Missiles are pretty fast in Doom 4, i think it's about 1 second tops or less before they explode, whereas in this mod, it feels like double the amount of time, which makes it a lot less reliable to pin enemies with.
the Stun bombs i also felt travelled at least a good bit better than the ones here, or if not that, at least when fully upgraded the radius hit a bunch of enemies and stunned them enough to hit them with another weapon, which is harder here as you get locked into the shooting animation here and can't switch as fast. in other words, it's a lot less reliable to use it to stun enemies here, when you could just as easily put a hologram up and distract everyone in the room, and line them up for easy Gauss Cannon or rocket launcher kills.

also, i figured out what bug it was i discovered: if you pull the amount of particles down too low, like to the lowest amount on the slider, 1000, the Upgrade menu's holographic display looks messed up.
Terg500
Location: Is anyone here actually being true about their location?

Post by Terg500 »

DBThanatos wrote:
Doomguy5th wrote: You guys could probably use this? Add a TEENY bit of animation to the gauss cannon.
Thanks for the link. I sure will!
I made new animations for the siege mode as well. Here's a download link if you are interested: https://mega.nz/#!GhdTVLwL!0b2480CYMbKO ... 3aJjZp_RoY (V2)
Last edited by Terg500 on Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Doctrine Gamer

Post by Doctrine Gamer »

DBThanatos wrote:While the particle lightning could have something to do with it, i meant that the explosion itself isn't causing lag, but the fact that it creates a zillion gibs of there are too many monsters being killed by it.

I'll go around to find a computer where i get lag and try to figure out there what might be causing it. My money is in the gore though :P
Could have an option of BFG have the same destructive power but with a smaller explosion.
I noticed a bug while playing with the monsters of classic Doom, they do not drop the Chaingun.

This is only fixed playing with the Doom 4 Monster's or through the cheat but there's no fun.
sidav

Post by sidav »

Terg500 wrote: I made new animations for the siege mode as well.
That's good! Current gauss cannon animations in D4D are looking quite poor in comparison with doom 4 animation, i think.
I've got one question: is it normal that siege mode shot costs the same 15 ammo that the "normal" shot? I thought, it should cost much more than the normal shot, about 60 ammo...
Terg500
Location: Is anyone here actually being true about their location?

Post by Terg500 »

sidav wrote:
Terg500 wrote: I made new animations for the siege mode as well.
That's good! Current gauss cannon animations in D4D are looking quite poor in comparison with doom 4 animation, i think.
I've got one question: is it normal that siege mode shot costs the same 15 ammo that the "normal" shot? I thought, it should cost much more than the normal shot, about 60 ammo...
Yeah, in the new Doom one Siege Mode shot costs 30 ammo. Hope they can adjust it. I noticed as well that when charging the guass cannon for a while the sound effect just stops. I don't know if this is because I still use 1.01.1 and they (maybe) have already fixed it.

Also I updated the animations to include the pulling of the handle. I updated the link in my previous post to include this.

-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Nice work on the animations, Terg! I hope you're able to go through all the weapons and make them a bit less static. You don't notice it at first, but it's really jarring once you notice most of the guns barely move.
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

Re BFG lag: we're working as we speak to add an option to toggle hi-quality bfg effects (current) and low quality version (for performance).

And those animations for the gauss are great. Will definitely add. Im gonna post another update tomorrow probably, addressing several of the issues brought up here.
Gorec

Post by Gorec »

i think im the only one who didnt saw any bugs (i didnt even download new version)
Doomguy5th

Post by Doomguy5th »

DBThanatos wrote:And those animations for the gauss are great. Will definitely add. Im gonna post another update tomorrow probably, addressing several of the issues brought up here.
Speaking of animations, there are some sprites for the ADS of the Precision Bolt Gauss Cannon. You may need to adjust them to offsets that line up with the crosshair though.
IamInnocent wrote:Thanks for the awesome weapon sprites! Here's an edit I made for my favourite weapon in DOOM 4, Gauss Cannon + additional Siege Mode and Zooming. (I'm too lazy to edit the frames into gif so just bear this one minute Youtube video. :( ) The link can also be found on the Youtube video. If anyone wants a non-black glove version, you can contact me.
Viscra Maelstrom

yeah, those Gauss Cannon offsets are kind of bad. they're a bit too much to the left. also, that lever yanking looks really awkward. it doesn't need to have that much force into it. the animation itself doesn't look bad though.
Doctrine Gamer

Post by Doctrine Gamer »

DBThanatos wrote:Re BFG lag: we're working as we speak to add an option to toggle hi-quality bfg effects (current) and low quality version (for performance).

And those animations for the gauss are great. Will definitely add. Im gonna post another update tomorrow probably, addressing several of the issues brought up here.
I forgot to mention that it is not only the Chaingun that makes it impossible to catch up with the monsters of Doom Classic, Lightning Gun is also inaccessible with these monsters.
Gorec

Post by Gorec »

found secret upgrade for chaingun looooooooooooool
Gorec

Post by Gorec »

actually one of my friends said that this was a bug
Viscra Maelstrom

the chaingun's special mode is definitely not a bug. though, the tilting can be stopped midway if you fire it once and strafe or run diagonally, but since you can fix the camera by switching weapons, i don't think it's a big problem.

after playing this more, i feel that the Tactical Scope gets kind of gimped with its weapon mods. the tactical scope has been addressed, but it does no extra damage, which makes it feel a bit wimpy to use, and the micro missiles are far too delayed to be useful right now compared to Doom 4. giving the scope a bit of a damage boost would be nice to have, and the missiles need to explode much faster to be of use.

adding on, the chaingun's spin-up time is slower than that of Doom 4, which can be a pain in a wild firefight, especially since the Gatling Rotator suffers from the same problem, which can make bringing it up when you need it a bit harrowing. the Mobile Turret is fine though.

once the Gauss Cannon's ammo-consumption for Siege Mode and the like gets fixed, i don't know how much Precision Bolt costs to use in Doom 4, but may i suggest it only using 20 ammo instead of 30? the reason being that in long-range combat, it would be far more ammo-sufficient to kill far-off single targets with it than Siege Mode. right now, Siege Mode all but surpasses Precision Bolt, and i think this would give it just a bit more utility.

all the other weapons' mods are fine and work pretty well, i'd think. Triple Shot for the shotgun is a bit overshadowed by the Super Shotgun, but perhaps it's more useful in Doom 1?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”