Lowtech Remake (Updated 22/02/17)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Re: Lowtech mod Remake (Updated July, 20) Heretic patch!

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Deii wrote:I think I noticed why I was thinking the sawn off didn't really feel that good, and that was because I was just playing it with Doom 2. Tried playing through the first two levels of Plutonia and TNT, and I noticed the changes to gameplay some more sooo yeah.

One change I think would be nice (and kinda realistic, in a sense) would be making the shells be extracted automatically by it whenever you reload. This is more of a gripe, I guess, since extractors that only pop out half of the shells for the user to grab and replace them.

Also about the pump action shotgun, I totally see your point. It's kind of a action hero stereotype, but I was speaking from a more civilian point of view you know? Shotguns are pretty versatile weapons for your average Joe and they do pack a punch, while being relatively easy to use - hence the possibility of it replacing the BFG. It's just a suggestion, after all.

P.S.: More of a side note than anything, but Forgotten Weapons generally is a good channel to watch if you wanna see some interesting, rather old-timey guns. The vid below is a double barrel shotgun that is certainly unusual.

Don't worry, i'm considering a wanker for an alternate weapon patch, replacing the BFG ;)

Extractors, huh? Yeah, that would make the game flow faster. The intention was to make it more reallistic but i got tired after a while. Better make it like the majority.

I have seen few videos of forgotten weapons, but i found them very cool! Gotta watch more.

Also, i'm going to ask to anybody who played and might be reading this:

After seeing many mafia movies clips, i am thinking the tommygun drum seems rather big. It looks more like the rare 100 bullets drum made for the thompson. Do you guys think so too? I'm thinking on raising the limits...
Deii

Post by Deii »

Glad to know you enjoyed Forgotten Weapons! Usually when I need inspiration for a gun, I either go watching through Ian's videos or just go around the web searching for some concepts.

And I say no to the 100 rnd drum. Fifty is more than enough for me, not to mention that coming across a rather rare drum magazine for a Tommy gun seems kinda...unlikely.
spedos22

Post by spedos22 »

A Few weapons I'd like to see is; a .44 Revolver like a Ruger Redhawk or S&W Model 29 A 4-Shot Semi Automatic Shotgun a la Winchester 1400 in 20 Gauge, a Silenced Machine Pistol in 9MM like an Uzi or Tec-9, and MAYBE a burst fire Rifle like an early model M16.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

A ruger redhawk... god, never heard about it, just copied into google images... it's beautiful!!!!

Alright fellas, you just made my mind. I'm going to start slowly (since aracnocide needs some love)

But here's my ideas for an alternate weapon pack:

Slot 1 : Fists, Melee weapon like a crowbar/machete/baseball bat. The baseball bat i got here's got a dumb alternate fire, but i'll make some work into it ;D

Slot 2 : A 9mm beretta i recently made and updated into spriting carnival.

Slot 3 (SG): A .44 revolver, obviously edited from powerslave sprites.

Slot 3 (SSG) : A Ruger 44 carabine.

Slot 4 : A edited HACX uzi that i used in earlier aracnocide versions.

Slot 5 : Maybe a nailgun i got here.

Slot 6 : Molotov cocktail?

Slot 7 : Pump action shotgun. I even know the frames i'm going to use. Turbo, captain J and torridgristle. Yeah.

As you can see, none of them kills Icon of Sin. Ideas? Suggestions?? Go ahead ;)
Deii

Post by Deii »

I'll just list my suggestions/comments about the possible alternate weapon pack.

Slot 1: I suppose you could keep the current fists. If you really wanna spice things up, I guess adding some sort of knuckle duster or hunting knife (or just a big ol' iron pipe) as a replacement for the chainsaw would work.

Slot 2: Beretta's fine, but did you consider a 1911? It looks and feels quite lowtech, and still uses .45 ACP if you wanna stick with the current ammo types.

Slot 3 (SG): The .44 revolver sounds nice, but I kinda think the .44 Ruger carbine could be meshed with it. Kinda like an upgrade, you know?

Slot 3 (SSG): This is where the pump-action shotgun should go, in my opinion.

Slot 4: A MAC-10 could work quite well here, and you could also stick a suppressor as an altfire for it.

Slot 5: No real idea on this one so far too. Part of me wants to say "makeshift railgun" but that doesn't sound lowtech at all.

Slot 6: IED's sound like they'd work nice here. Just make them behave kinda like the pipebombs from Duke Nukem 3D.

Slot 7: Maaaaaybe a M79 grenade launcher or a M72 LAW? The LAW is basically an American panzerfaust in the sense that it's a disposable, single use rocket launcher.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Sorry my bad english notions, what IED stands for?

The fists will stay, the chainsaw might be replaced with a knife i've got here. Does a katana sounds too dumb? just to know.

I really like the 1911, i've been playing weapons of saturn just to get it ;D but i wanted to make the player feel like he's playing something different, instead of "man, another 45 acp weapon", y'know. And i really want to give my newest creation a little home, i'm not meaning to be arrogant, but i'm proud of that sprite set.

Somebody made an 3DGE mod with a centered Shadow Warrior Uzi and i just jizzed my pants, so i wanted to make the alternate fire a little different: An switchable on/off akimbo mode. It's a ammo eater, but might be a powerful weapon if you are kinda ambushed.

Agree on the SSG place with the pump action. Will get it there!

I had some bad ideas too, part of me wants to get some "fantasy lowtech/steampunk/homemade" weaponry, but maybe i wouldn't be so true to the concept. While i don't think enough a nailgun would occupy it's place.

A M72... reminds me of Die Hard Trilogy 2 : Viva Las Vegas. It's disposable, can kill IoS and it's cool.

Great idea!I'm going to hunt some sprites. ;D

Hey!!! You're Brazilian! I'm from Rio Grande Do Sul, if you want to talk, we could send pm's. :D
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

GAA1992 wrote:Sorry my bad english notions, what IED stands for?
Improvised Explosive Device, i think? Otherwise, handmade bomb.
The fists will stay, the chainsaw might be replaced with a knife i've got here. Does a katana sounds too dumb? just to know.
Indeed it sounds kinda dumb, unless the player is in the antique shop or something.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

hehehehe, yeah, sorry about that. Really a dumb idea. I know what it'll be, it'll be a Baseball Bat, i made one ages ago but never found a home to it.

So, about this IED... Well, i want to bring the molotov i made for Aracnocide, but, with the cooking code fix i made for the TNT.

Thanks J!
Deii

Post by Deii »

Improvised explosive device. They're basically remote detonated, homemade bombs usually made with cannon shells or some sort of container filled with gunpowder or other explosive/easily flammable things.

As far as I know, they're tipically used by terrorists but that shouldn't stop anyone from making them in case demons come to Earth, right?

No probs about the 1911 anyway, again it was just a suggestion.

I never really got the whole switchable akimbo mode deal...I mean, I suppose it's easier to program instead of making two separate weapons (one for the single Uzi, another for the akimbo ones). It's up to you, but I personally think having the option to dual wield the Uzi's should be done like what I said: one for the single gun, another for both of them.

Well this one is a bit of an oddball, but I'm pretty sure you could add in a crossbow that fires a single large bolt before having to reload. Altfire could be a scope, so the mod wouldn't be without the long-range power of the Kar99k.

And good to know, I'm from São Paulo so it's a bit of a long way. I'll drop some PM's when I'm a little more free. :)
Dr_Cosmobyte

Re: Lowtech Remake (Updated July, 24)

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Alright fellas, after playing equinox and colorful hell, i saw some things that were annoying me and now here's another update!

Changelog:

24/07
- reduced ammo sprite sizes in case someone disabled voxels.
- raised tommygun damage by 2 points.
- cleaned up and organized sndinfo.
- changed some sounds definitions for the ssg to avoid incompatibility with colourful hell.
- applied same chambering system from the tommygun to the glock.
- corrected tnt bundle launch sprites.
- corrrected a bug involving fuse sound from tnt that kept playing.
- Added automatic shell extractions for the ssg, and it's a lot faster now.
- nerfed limits for tnt, panzerfaust and glock single clip shells. 60 tnt's? how didn't i nerfed that?
- changed weapons swap sound.
- changed casing sounds again, this time, from Medal of Honor : Allied Assault.
- fixed tnt bug where it appears when deselected during dryfire.

Download link on first page! Get Psyched!
Deii

Re: Lowtech Remake (Updated July, 24)

Post by Deii »

Just gave it a run with the New Doom Community Project and I gotta say that the changes are very welcome! I did notice two things that maybe are bugs.

When using the Kar98K, I noticed that after spending all the ammo in reserve and the weapon, if you use its altfire and try firing it, the scope will disappear and will show the gun clicking, though the zoom will remain the same until you switch guns or press altfire.

This one I'm not so sure if it's a bug or not (maybe it's my crap laptop), but sometimes the voxels don't appear at all, or some parts of them appear. I noticed that this also happened with Aracnocide sometimes, where certain voxels just wouldn't appear. Maybe it's because of the version of ZDoom I'm using?
Dr_Cosmobyte

Re: Lowtech Remake (Updated July, 25)

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Got it fixed! Thought as well as buffing the karabiner just a bit.

25/07
- fixed karabiner dryfire bug.
- buffed karabiner damage by 5 points.

About the voxels, everything is working fine for me, so, i can't have an idea of what's happening. Maybe you should try a different build?
Deii

Re: Lowtech Remake (Updated July, 25)

Post by Deii »

I'll take a better look on that tomorrow and let you know. Maybe it's just some settings that are off on my end.
Deii

Re: Lowtech Remake (Updated July, 28)

Post by Deii »

Sorry for the late reply - busy week back at the office.

Yeah, I think it might just be my craptop. Been meaning to get a better comp for a while but money's just tight, you know?
erni945

Re: Lowtech Remake (Updated July, 28)

Post by erni945 »

I tried your mod and it is cool but I have a question , if you are planning to add support for Hexen ?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”