Lowtech Remake (Updated 22/02/17)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
EddieMann

Re: Lowtech Remake (Updated 20/10)

Post by EddieMann »

Could it be like a grenade launcher of sorts?
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Hmmm... a grenade launcher. I think it would need to have it's own pool of ammo.

But don't worry. Next update it's going to get out soon, but i need some time to fix internal actors and bugs of the game :)
cambertian
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by cambertian »

Great mod so far! This is one of, if not my favorite gameplay changer, as I am a sucker for reloading.

However, if I could offer some criticism: the HUD is a little lacking. It doesn't tell you how much ammo you have in reserve, and the counters on the side that tell you the total ammo counts don't work.
As a result, I've made a little patch that chops off the totals, adds reserves below the ammo clip, and gives each ammo type icons.
However, some compromises had to be made: the Doom HUD has to be used for every supported IWAD, and the graphics used therefore were converted to truecolor PNGs.
Feel free to implement my changes into the mainline, report any bugs, and ask questions if need-be, as the code is a little messy! :)

Download: *boink!*

EDIT: Squashed some bugs in SBARINFO. Also added some more graphics to quell GZDoom's error handler.
EDIT 2: In an effort to potentially maintain compatibility with Hexen and to prevent the HUD from looking too uneven, the ammo totals spot is now replaced with key slots galore.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

I ve downloaded update #1 yesterday, and i'm at work now(so i can't download #2), but daaaamn! This is super neat!

Aside from the only nitpicky thing i've found (the fuel sprite does not appear on the status bar while holding the chainsaw), i had a cool idea:

may i rework on it using the Sega Saturn HUD sprites, and implement it as an deafult? Sega Saturn's HUD is a little more clean than the original one, i think it would look nice.

Well, if laziness don't comsumpt my soul today, all i've gotta do is to rewrite all the cvar options and work on this HUD. Kinda easy.

About the alternate weapon pack: Aside from most Altfires, it's ready. But, on the inside, i'm very unhappy with it. The weapons are being worked on to have the usual smoothness (i mean, my level of smooth, not a great deal), but something just don't fit. But i can't say something is bad until you guys play it. So, if the stars align and i get to work seriously you guys will see something today. ;)
cambertian

Post by cambertian »

GAA1992 wrote:I ve downloaded update #1 yesterday, and i'm at work now(so i can't download #2), but daaaamn! This is super neat!

Aside from the only nitpicky thing i've found (the fuel sprite does not appear on the status bar while holding the chainsaw), i had a cool idea:

may i rework on it using the Sega Saturn HUD sprites, and implement it as an deafult? Sega Saturn's HUD is a little more clean than the original one, i think it would look nice.

Well, if laziness don't comsumpt my soul today, all i've gotta do is to rewrite all the cvar options and work on this HUD. Kinda easy.

About the alternate weapon pack: Aside from most Altfires, it's ready. But, on the inside, i'm very unhappy with it. The weapons are being worked on to have the usual smoothness (i mean, my level of smooth, not a great deal), but something just don't fit. But i can't say something is bad until you guys play it. So, if the stars align and i get to work seriously you guys will see something today. ;)
That's fine by me. :)
Only concern is with the 4 x 3 rectangle I've got for key slots in update 2, as the Saturn bar doesn't leave enough room for more than the standard 3 (Hexen has 11 keys, if you're wondering why I need so many slots.)
Of course, you could replace the weapon slots on the far right with them, but then you wouldn't have the visible weapon slots...

As for the chainsaw ammo, I think I can implement a special case for it. Or, if you know what you're doing, you could also implement it.

I'm gonna try making some of the changes you recommended on my end, if that's okay with you.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

I decided to fix some urgent thingies, but other than that, one of my next steps will be the status bar and the Hexen tweaks, which seem to be hard...

First page now has a update! It brings:
- New ammo Icons.
- New Panzerfaust Missile Sprites.
- Changed Casing positions.
- Changed stimpack sprite. Voxel remains the same.
- Added sprites to the chainsaw and bolt projectiles.
- Tweaked internal actors to avoid possible conflicts (Thanks once again to LedIris).
- Renamed Panzerfaust to Panzerfaust 60 just for the sake of details.
- Better explosions Sprites, from Aracnocide.
- New "Explosive Arrows" option.
- Updated Credits list.

So, other than the status bar, i would like to read from you guys, suggestions!

What you guys want to see? More performance options? Suggestions for the Alternate Weapon Pack? Suggestion on weapon animations?

While i don't release the full version, which somehow is not satisfying to me yet, i made a quick file which only replaces the Pistol and The Tommygun with a Imbel(a Brazilian version of the Colt M1911), and the mp5, which was present on the original Lowtech by captain red, but i didn't had those sprites (made by Sgt. Shivers) at the time. Bear in mind, this little patch replaces the 45acp ammo with 9x19mm parabellum bullets!

Remember: Load this AFTER lowtech main file!

// EDIT 03/11 : Link removed, move further.

Feedbacks, please guys :)
Last edited by Dr_Cosmobyte on Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cambertian

Re: Lowtech Remake (Updated 27/10) Alt. Wpn. Pack Demo Page

Post by cambertian »

I've made, once again, an SBARINFO patch with the HUD changes you've requested, including
  • A Saturn-style HUD complete with the proper font,
  • Proper ammo icons for both the Chainsaw and TNT weapons,
  • And some rotations to certain ammo icons to make them look less ugly on the new HUD.
While ammo icon graphics WERE included in the PK3 you provided, they weren't used at all in the DECORATE as far as I could see. (Don't worry about it, I get a kick out of these sorts of fixes :) )
Unfortunately, this most likely won't work with the Alternate Pack until it's embedded in the main WAD.
Note that it's not the Saturn HUD word-for-word. Some parts, like the weapon slots, had to be lopped off in favor of (you guessed it!) the key slots. Tell me if you want it reworked further.

A quick thank you once again for making this - I've had a blast with it; goes well with urban mapsets like Hellbound!

Download Link
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

So, your keys are CustomInventory items. This is Bad(tm) because it guarantees that only one player can pick up a key in cooperative! Have your new keys inherit either from the Key base class or from their respective vanilla classes, THEN give each key a "Species" property with the name of the old respective vanilla class. This ensures keys aren't one use only!
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

I haven't played for quite a few updates. I really like the alternate weapon pack. The laser sight could be a little more visible than it is, though. Sometimes I find it impossible to see at distances I'd actually want to use the sight at. The barrels have quite an explosion delay that make them harder to use against enemies but I have neutral feelings about it. It does make for very slow chain reactions. Lastly, why do the imp fireball smoke trails have 2 trails, one of which is way higher than it should be?
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

cambertian wrote:Status bar stuff
Better than ever! I want to try out something too, as you gave me some neat ideas :D

Don't worry about the alternate pack for now, it will take some time to be polished (not more than the Hexen compatibility patch, i think). :s
Someone64 wrote:I haven't played for quite a few updates. I really like the alternate weapon pack. The laser sight could be a little more visible than it is, though. Sometimes I find it impossible to see at distances I'd actually want to use the sight at. The barrels have quite an explosion delay that make them harder to use against enemies but I have neutral feelings about it. It does make for very slow chain reactions. Lastly, why do the imp fireball smoke trails have 2 trails, one of which is way higher than it should be?
I think the only reasonable solution to the laser is to add some GLDEFS to it, or making an ADS mode, so i don't see too many ways.

As for the barrels, it surely can be done better. It's actually an ACTOR copied and pasted from aracnocide and it repeats a lot, so, reducing those ticks would bring out somke good results. I plan to change barrel voxels as well.

The imp ball is fine over here, kinda strange. When i get home tonight i might study on making an ACS to toggle those alternate projectiles. It broke some D64 enemies as well.

Thanks for the feedback! Hope you enjoy those current updates :)
Dr_Cosmobyte

Re: Lowtech Remake (Updated 29/10) WIP AWP Page 8

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Game updated!

Changelog:
Spoiler:
Get this update right now! ;)
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Hey guys, Here's a little update on the Alternate weapon pack which contains more weapons such as a combat knife, a pump-action shotgun and a hunting revolver!

http://www.mediafire.com/file/6u8ozl4dv ... Pack+1.pk3

Any suggestions and comments are appreciated.

If you are asking yourself why Shotgun's secondary fire is so stupdily fast, it's because it's a technique called "Slam Fire". Suggested by chronoteeth, i implemented it because it can be as cheap as the sawnoff, but it's designed for close combat, as your accuracy (and a bit of damage) goes away.

Hunting revolver doesn't have a alternate fire mode yet.

The combat knife alternate fire is omitted on the main file while i don't discover how to solve the bugs related to it. It was meant to be a throwable knife that you could get back. But once you threw it on the floor it started to go apeshit and spin round and round.

Download it ;)
Last edited by Dr_Cosmobyte on Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Neat update as always!
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Thanks sir! I updated it again for some parsing script reasons.
YukesVonFaust

Post by YukesVonFaust »

GAA1992 wrote:Thanks sir! I updated it again for some parsing script reasons.
I hope the Throwing Knife Bug has been fixed...

Return to “Gameplay Mods”