Led's Generic Weapon Mod (UPDATED! April 2 2023)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
-Ghost-

Re: Led's Generic Weapon Mod (Updated 20th July)

Post by -Ghost- »

Yeah, I think splitting the ammo types would work better.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Voted on limited. It makes it worthy and realisitic, i guess. And besides, this is not a serious sam after all.
LedIris

Post by LedIris »

-Ghost- wrote:Yeah, I think splitting the ammo types would work better.
JohnnyTheWolf wrote:I do not like the idea of an infinite ammo weapon and I do not mind the pistol as it currently is.
CaptainJ wrote:Voted on limited. It makes it worthy and realisitic, i guess. And besides, this is not a serious sam after all.
Looks like I'll be going with Limited, after all. I'll give the poll one more day, and if Infinite wins, then I'll make the necessary changes. :wink:
Echelon5

Post by Echelon5 »

So I posted this in the Faspons thread and I think it applies here too, wondering what your thoughts are?

I've been trying to figure out why I have such mixed feelings about the RPG, and I think I narrowed it down:

It feels more like a grenade launcher or a slug thrower than something that fires high explosive ordinance. So, a suggestion!

There seems to be weapon groups with two each:

Two automatics: Rifle and Minigun

Pump and Break Action Shotgun

Plasma Rifle and BFG

Why not two explosives?

Something akin to what the RPG is now: high rate of fire, with smaller explosive effect (like a grenade launcher?), and then another, slower firing (maybe only two rockets/missiles per mag?) high explosive variant. I also think it might fill out the arsenal a bit more. You'd use the RPG for crowds, and the high explosive weapon for big baddies like Barons, Cyberdemons, Incubi, Masterminds, etc.
LedIris

Post by LedIris »

Echelon5 wrote:So I posted this in the Faspons thread and I think it applies here too, wondering what your thoughts are?

I've been trying to figure out why I have such mixed feelings about the RPG, and I think I narrowed it down:

It feels more like a grenade launcher or a slug thrower than something that fires high explosive ordinance. So, a suggestion!

There seems to be weapon groups with two each:

Two automatics: Rifle and Minigun

Pump and Break Action Shotgun

Plasma Rifle and BFG

Why not two explosives?

Something akin to what the RPG is now: high rate of fire, with smaller explosive effect (like a grenade launcher?), and then another, slower firing (maybe only two rockets/missiles per mag?) high explosive variant. I also think it might fill out the arsenal a bit more. You'd use the RPG for crowds, and the high explosive weapon for big baddies like Barons, Cyberdemons, Incubi, Masterminds, etc.
Nice idea! I would probably add something like a grenade launcher to the mod's arsenal. Or, I could do what WoS did and add an altfire to the Rocket Launcher that fires grenades instead of rockets (grenades having a smaller blast radius) I'll keep this idea in mind. :wink:
JimpArgon

Post by JimpArgon »

I absolutely love this mod.... Great feel to all the weapons and player movement. Spot on! Im glad I checked this one out.
LedIris

Post by LedIris »

JimpArgon wrote:I absolutely love this mod.... Great feel to all the weapons and player movement. Spot on! Im glad I checked this one out.
Thank you! I'm glad you had a fun experience with this mod. :) My goal with this mod was to provide a satisfying experience for everyone, and I'm happy to see that I've fulfilled it. :D

There will be a new update coming later today. I need to catch up on my sleep. :) :wink:
Echelon5

Post by Echelon5 »

Just so everyone knows this mod goes perfectly with the Monsters Only variant of Smooth Doom :D
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

It works okay for me, but I keep getting error messages about "lavacheck" during gameplay and some options, such as Fast Pinkies, do not seem to work anymore.

Speaking of which, not sure if this fits this mod's aim, but it would be nice to have monsters' blood spurts fit their actual colour.
LedIris

Post by LedIris »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:It works okay for me, but I keep getting error messages about "lavacheck" during gameplay and some options, such as Fast Pinkies, do not seem to work anymore.
The "lavacheck" error messages might have something to do with the TERRAIN lump that I have in the mod which adds the water/slime/lava splashes. I'll probably end up removing that TERRAIN lump anyway, and leave it optional. I think Fast Pinkies is a problem on Smooth Doom's end since it didn't work for me when I played the latest GZDoom devbuild with just SmoothDoom Monsters.
Speaking of which, not sure if this fits this mod's aim, but it would be nice to have monsters' blood spurts fit their actual colour.
As much as I'd like to do this, I'd rather keep it as it is for compatibility reasons, so that you can use gore/monster mods along with this mod. :wink: There are many mods out there that fix the monsters' blood spurts.
LedIris

Re: Led's Generic Weapon Mod (Updated 24th July)

Post by LedIris »

Updated! In response to the poll, which received more votes on Limited Pistol ammo. Thank you for your votes!

-Quick-punch feature added to all weapons! (except fist and chainsaw)
-In the Controls menu, there is a new section for the mod, where you must bind a punch key. (Default is Q)
-Berserk also affects the quick-punch ;)
-The quick-punch attack can activate switches, doors and lifts

-I said earlier in the thread that I'd remove the Fist, but I decided to keep it for those who don't want to bind an extra key to punch. It still functions the same as before this update.

-Pistol and Rifle no longer share ammo: Pistol now uses 9mm Ammo which is much more common than Rifle Ammo. Rifle Ammo is less common, and the Rifle pickup even more so. (This was to encourage more Pistol use, as the Pistol can carry more maximum ammo than the Rifle can, and pretty much became useless once the Rifle was acquired) 9mm Ammo uses a new pickup sprite, Rifle Ammo uses the vanilla clip sprite. Rifle Ammo has a chance to be spawned on 9mm Ammo, which spawns in place of regular Clips. Zombiemen also have a chance to drop Rifle/9mm Ammo respectively.
-Pistol moved to Slot 1 (now shared with Fist & Chainsaw, and has highest priorty when switching)

-Different sound for picking up the Plasma Rifle (better than just the beep ;) still need to find another Clip sound that isn't the Quake 2 one)
-Viewbobbing changes again (these are more exaggerated, they might be changed back)
-New Crack decal added (mainly for the quick-punch berserk attack)
-Removed the default pickup flashes from powerups and keys (there's no longer a brief tint of yellow, it goes straight to the items' flash.)
-Health Bonus now has a blue pickup flash, Armor Bonus now has a green pickup flash.

Have fun with this new update! Let me know what I must fix/improve on.
Echelon5

Post by Echelon5 »

New viewbobbing feels a little off. Like Doomguy is kind of happily swaying his arms back and forth. I mean, we all know he loves killing demons but :P It also does weird things to the minigun sprites when firing. It jitters around. Seems to affect only the minigun though.

Quick punch is a nice addition but the delay between player input -> Doomguy punching is a little too much.

I like the new pickup flashes. Nothing fancy but it's nice on the eyes.

I did have an idea for a brand new weapon but I'm not sure if you're taking ideas. Interested?
LedIris

Post by LedIris »

Echelon5 wrote:New viewbobbing feels a little off. Like Doomguy is kind of happily swaying his arms back and forth. I mean, we all know he loves killing demons but :P It also does weird things to the minigun sprites when firing. It jitters around. Seems to affect only the minigun though.
I think the minigun jittering when firing is because of the offset animations that I put on there to make it look a bit more powerful, visually. And I also agree on the new viewbobbing, I'll change that back. :)
Quick punch is a nice addition but the delay between player input -> Doomguy punching is a little too much.
I have made the lowering to punch animation faster and also removed the blank frame at the end of the lowering animation. ;)
I did have an idea for a brand new weapon but I'm not sure if you're taking ideas. Interested?
Sure. I'm always taking suggestions for this mod. :D
Echelon5

Post by Echelon5 »

Nice!

So as for a weapon idea, you ever see the 1995 movie Ghost in the Shell? Near the end, the protagonist is in the vice grip of a walking tank that's about to smoosh her head when her partner shows up with a big honking shoulder mounted cannon. It doesn't seem to fire explosive rounds, just big ol' bullets with this really satisfying CHIK CHIK between each shot. Here's the scene:

https://youtu.be/mS3PGKUiSco?t=346 Link should take you right to where he shows up with the gun.

Something like that, perhaps? Essentially a ballistic variant of the BFG 9000. Imagine taking down a cyber demon with that bad boy.
LedIris

Post by LedIris »

Echelon5 wrote:Nice!

So as for a weapon idea, you ever see the 1995 movie Ghost in the Shell? Near the end, the protagonist is in the vice grip of a walking tank that's about to smoosh her head when her partner shows up with a big honking shoulder mounted cannon. It doesn't seem to fire explosive rounds, just big ol' bullets with this really satisfying CHIK CHIK between each shot. Here's the scene:

https://youtu.be/mS3PGKUiSco?t=346 Link should take you right to where he shows up with the gun.

Something like that, perhaps? Essentially a ballistic variant of the BFG 9000. Imagine taking down a cyber demon with that bad boy.
Interesting idea! It would indeed be a unique and satisfying weapon to take down a cybie with. :) I wouldn't be too sure on what sprites to use for it, though. :D
I'll get the basic weapon code done, and get back to you on the idea. :wink:

Return to “Gameplay Mods”