Samsara - 0.3666 - World Tour

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Infirnex

Re: Samsara - 0.34 - Lit Up Like A Christmas Tree

Post by Infirnex »

Kinsie wrote:On the other hand, that disparity/contrast might make improve the effect. I'd like to get some thoughts from a bunch of angles and perspectives before I commit to anything, you know?
However, Ranger is the only one that would be models. I think the effect works.

If not...is it possible to have a CVar to control whether its a model or sprite?
Gez

Post by Gez »

If the models are in a separate pack that people can choose to load or not, then a CVAR becomes completely redundant.
ijon

Post by ijon »

unfortunately, it is an issue for zandronum, because clientside-only models can provide a huge advantage to other players (putting a big-ass halo around a player comes to mind, since it'd clip through walls). therefore, the server makes sure models between client and server are the same. at the very least, it makes sure the MODELDEF is the same.

fortunately, zandronum has a solution: gl_use_models. why gzdoom doesn't have this is completely beyond me.
Clownman

Post by Clownman »

It would be cool but I think it would kinda clash with the other characters considering they are all sprites.

unless we somehow had 3D models for everybody which is pretty much impossible.
Silentdarkness12

Post by Silentdarkness12 »

Eh, I could dig it.

And yeah, that would be very hard to do.

Risen3D for Doomguy model, Eduke HRP for Duke, Quake Ranger, and pretty much got nothing from there on out.
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Silentdarkness12 wrote:Risen3D for Doomguy model, Eduke HRP for Duke
jesus_christ_how_horrifying.jpg
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

TerminusEst13 wrote:
Yeah, why would we do that? We have a perfectly good Duke model from the Nintendo DS games.

wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Off-topic, would you happen to be able to get an animated GIF of Duke's arm-swinging animation from that game? I recall it looking absolutely hilarious and I need to show it to people.
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

Marathon Man's models could be from that UT99 mod, Marathon Resurrection. B.J.'s could be from the 3D model pack for NewWolf or even WolfRam, but I think it'd be most fitting if there were primitive Alone in the Dark-style models for him. caleb could use the models from transfusion

On a more serious note, I'd really appreciate a CVar that let me choose whether the computer area map spawned as a slot 3 weapon, like in Doom, a unique like in Harmony, or as it is like in Heretic. Similarly I think there should also be one for iwads with only one kind of shotgun that could let players decide if the slot 3 spawns next to the slot 2 (Heretic), 4 (Chex Quest), or not at all (Harmony).
scroton

Post by scroton »

TerminusEst13 wrote:
Kinsie wrote:
TerminusEst13 wrote:
Yeah, why would we do that? We have a perfectly good Duke model from the Nintendo DS games.

IMO best thing to would just be to replace everything with UT3 skins, and player sprites with sprite versions of the UT3 skins.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Hello! I'm currently taking a quick break from mapping for DUMP3 and fixing Strife-specific bugs! Today's fixes: Peasants and Beggars now have all the nice custom death states, like Zorching. It's pretty cool!

Are there any other Strife-specific bugs you'd like to see fixed? I've got an eye towards doing a release later this month.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Hello! Caller! You're on the air!

You might remember older versions of Samsara (back in the Termus regime) had additional support for certain Heretic and Hexen mapsets. I disabled those during my initial attempts to get 0.31 running in GZDoom, as they were messing things up.

I've re-enabled them as a separate PK3, added a couple more, and I'm looking to add support for more mods. So, I'd like to hear your requests: What ZDoom mapsets do you think would benefit from Samsara support?

Current Compat Patches:
Terra Incognita by FireSeraphim
The Chaos Series by Udderdude
Elf Gets Pissed by RottKing
Day of the Acolyte by Kaiser
Gez

Post by Gez »

If you're covering Strife mapsets (I see Day of the Acolyte here), then I'd check Breaking the Dam and Absolute Order. They might not need any sort of specific compatibility patches, though.

Scourge of Viscerus was a pretty good Hexen mod IIRC. Give it a look.

Mods such as Masters of Chaos, Necrosis, The Nadir, and Serpent: Resurrection might be too much work, given how they feature custom enemies and/or weapons.

There's also the good old Wolfen. Supporting that one is probably going to be a big headache, since it features new weapons from before DECORATE allowed custom weapons...
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

Misunderstanding your last suggestion gave me an idea. Would AFADoomer's Wolfenstein 3D remake be particularly difficult? Alternatively, what about the recent .pk7 remakes of Laz Rojas' Wolfendoom episodes?
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DoomRater »

Wolfen Wolfen Wolfen Wolfen Wolfen Wolfen Wolfen Wolfen Wolfen Wolfen

Return to “Gameplay Mods”