HELP WANTED: Dev build Bug Hunt

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Xaser

HELP WANTED: Dev build Bug Hunt

Post by Xaser »

Hey folks,

For those who haven't heard yet, ZDoom's scripting branch was merged into the main development trunk following the release of 2.8.1. The gist of it is that major parts of ZDoom were rewritten in order to pave the way for the fabled DoomScript.

What this means is that there's a metric butt-ton of new/rewritten code in development builds of ZDoom, and while the devs have done their best to make the transition as smooth as possible, there are far too many mods out there for the dev crew to test on their own. It's inevitable that there are going to be things that just don't work quite right in newer versions... yet.

The short version: ZDoom needs your help! Here's what you can do to chip in:
  • Grab a recent development build of ZDoom
  • Fire up your (favorite) mod(s)
  • Post bug reports in the Bugs Forum for anything that seems like it's borked in the newer versions that was working just fine in 2.8.1
  • That's it. Simple, eh?
One super-important thing to make clear here is that ZDoom is striving to be fully backwards-compatible in the face of these changes -- i.e. if something is broken, it's probably something in the engine that needs to be fixed. There may be a few cases here and there where an underlying change reveals a mod error rather than an engine one (e.g. this guy), but there's no way to find out without reporting in.

It'll be tough for a little while since none of us are used to having this many changes land in a dev build at once, but we'll get through it so long as those bug reports keep rolling in.

Now go forth and report!
Last edited by Xaser on Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: HELP WANTED: Dev build Bug Hunt

Post by Graf Zahl »

Xaser wrote:Hey folks,
[Xaser-Disclaimer: This post is not (yet?) an official statement from the ZDoom developers, but rather a community call made by the Xaserperson after some observation. Please direct all comments on the topic here, not to Randi/Graf.]
Consider it official now.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Graf Zahl wrote:
Xaser wrote:Hey folks,
[Xaser-Disclaimer: This post is not (yet?) an official statement from the ZDoom developers, but rather a community call made by the Xaserperson after some observation. Please direct all comments on the topic here, not to Randi/Graf.]
Consider it official now.
And I've already gone ahead and made it a Global Announcement, so here's hoping that this campaign can lead us to A New Golden Age of ZDooming, or something.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Graf Zahl wrote:Consider it official now.
Good to hear! You beat me to asking -- I'll edit it out the disclaimer then.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

wildweasel wrote:, so here's hoping that this campaign can lead us to A New Golden Age of ZDooming, or something.
Well, the fun will get bigger when I merge the floating point conversion branch. :mrgreen:
I'm almost done with that - one more day of work and some testing over the weekend and it should be ready - that is, the playsim part. I intentionally left the node builder and renderer alone as much as I could. That's for later.
enderkevin13

Post by enderkevin13 »

I'll try and keep an eye out, but I have a hard time noticing bugs, so don't expect too much from me.
HexenMapper

Post by HexenMapper »

I just tested this out on the mod I'm building. Seemed to be working fine, but then I went to fire a projectile weapon (a sniper rifle that fires a projectile at 256 speed), and it instantly crashed.

Here's the crash report:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/b4odp ... Report.zip

I was using the latest build: 2.9pre-506
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

I only started using the 2.9pre builds for serious playing two or three weeks ago. I played Hexen and also a Doom mapset with a mod of mine. I didn't find anything out of the ordinary.

I also started using the [wiki=Actor_states#Anonymous_Functions]anonymous functions[/wiki] here and there in my code. Again, so far so good.

@HexenMapper: It's better to submit a bug report here.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

I'm totally on board with this.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Bumping this (okay, it's a pinned thread and can't be bumped, but whatever) with relevant news relating to another new feature that requires a lot of testing: http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?p=941462#p941462
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

This is somewhat redundant since there's a dedicated thread for it, but just in case folks stumble across this one instead, see Eruanna's announcement regarding another big ZScript branch merge. Test on, gents!

Return to “General”